Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Last time I was in Seattle it was raining all the time...

You got one of those umbrellas that can be fitted in the flash-mount?
That is what the assistant is for....

But seriously, if you get water on the glass... what is the point?

09-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
The WR lens work really well in light sprinkles and usually have hood or UV's to protect the lens, So i say it's a large marketing
Sure, a hood is going to help in the lightest of rain but just about any good quality camera will survive a sprinkle as well.

UV filter? I have no idea what you mean. It makes no difference if water drops get on the filter or the lens glass, the results are the same.

Rain = water on lens = distortion. WR is not going to help you. So unless you have an umbrella or other similar protection, what is the point of taking photos in the rain?

Wow that's a largely ill conceived argument IMO, Sure you can take shots without it, but it's sure easier to get shots you couldn't get before with it, and isn't that what's progress all about?

If you argue that, go back to film and avoid any technical advantages offered in the last few years or more. It makes getting the sharp hairs on a fly with a Macro, that much more attainable.
Wow to you too! Are you actually claiming that SR truly allows one to take photos that were not possible before SR? I am pretty sure that is quite untrue. I was getting the equivalent of sharp hairs on a fly back in the day with my MZ-S with flash or shutter speeds of 1/2000 and a 1000mm lens @f8.

And now you are arguing it's detrimental to Tripod use, Turn it off! (And everybody knows to do that, perhaps not you?) And real men generally don't need a Tripod, with SR in the body.... (Unless for long exposures)
Perhaps not me? Why would you write that? If I didn't know, I would not have stated it. I stated it because it is a common mistake. Some people erroneously believe that it always needs to be on.... then they are confused b/c their photos are not sharp when using a tripod.

Real men don't use tripods? Surely you jest!

Also if the argument was true, you would not see SR, VR, OS, or IS, or OIS anywhere, but you do because there's a need.
Never claimed it wasn't useful.

Yes they are, I know plenty of Canikon users who look at the K-7 as a backup because of WR, and good primes. And everybody is envious of SR, I prefer OS in lens around 300mm or over, but under that SR is a serious limitation for the others, in which you have to spend per lens. "Flame Begun"
Nonsense, nonsense, nonsense.

Sure, there are the occasional threads wishing for in-camera SR, in the Canon forum, but it is hardly a reason for any of them to abandon Canon for Pentax.

If there is any envy, it is Pentax owners who wish for 3rd party support and/or accessories similar to what Canon and Nikon owners enjoy. Even our lens selection is dwindling. Notice, I said "OUR" because I am still primarily a Pentax user.... but I am getting tired of trying to make a case to keep my PK mount glass.

Just once, I would love to hear from a Pentax official that cares. There is a huge world of difference between how Canon and Pentax customer support and representation in the forums.

I really had no intention of provoking flames.
09-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #153

hahahah, best thread all day. pentax is doomed? k5 is made of suck?

from the amount of silliness ive read over the years pentax has always been doomed :P

guess its time to join the silliness...

k5 cant tell the kr to tell the coffee machine make me coffee. pentax is doomed...
09-28-2010, 01:28 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daniel deus Quote
hahahah, best thread all day. pentax is doomed? k5 is made of suck?

from the amount of silliness ive read over the years pentax has always been doomed :P

guess its time to join the silliness...

k5 cant tell the kr to tell the coffee machine make me coffee. pentax is doomed...
hey...I dated her....more than once and apparently several of her cousins and sisters as well...

09-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Here is a change of tune....

BTW, easy to fix refers to forced DFS. A simple firmware fix would be a nice gesture to fix something that actually makes the camera otherwise useless for a large part of the photography I get paid for (and personal shots).
Anyway, for what its worth, looks confirmed by several people who tried it out that the K-5 does not force DFS if you turn it Off, even after 1 minute. Will have to wait until detailed specs or manual is available to confirm.

It looks like the earlier imposed forced DFS in the K20D / K-7 was related to constraints in the Samsung sensor(s). Not likely solvable via firmware update.
09-28-2010, 01:50 AM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well i only purchased a K-7 recently, So I'm not the number 1 target for an upgrade but....

1) Lack of tethering:

2) The RAW Buffer needed to be increased, or the levels of speed need to add a third option like 5FPS for 3 second option.

3)Would of liked to seen a 250 sync speed on the built in flash.

4) AF Assist Light - Needed an ON/OFF/Auto option and not just Off/Auto: I find the AF light would useful a lot more if it ever actually turned on in anything but complete blackness.

Lack of some nice primes 1.4 or faster & no nice wide 11-16mm lens and lack of a FF option are the other disappointments of Pentax for myself at this time.

But the K-5 would of been a serious option if i could get 2EV stops better noise, (i.e 1600 ISO was 400) comparatively and the features missing above.

For those with older K20's etc, one would imagine a decent upgrade, apart from the tethering/Remote Pentax Utility downgrade.
09-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #157
Veteran Member

and don't forget the tethering on the K20D is not real tethering as it does not enable Liveview shooting (even my lowly 40D did LV tethering)...otherwise it's just the same as hunt-n-peck typing compared to touch typing because you need to guess on the alignment and setup, take a shot, guess on more adjustments to the setup, shoot again...and so on and and so on...

Thus if they add the same tethering to the K5 that is kinda like lipstick on a pig...but over all the K5 is a super body or so it seems at this microsecond....and as of now all we have is time to see what they, HoyaTax, actually live up to...

I do promise they will lose a number of people if they don't get it through their skulls people need and like this single simple feature...and kinda expect it as well...I know I did when I got excited about a K7...oh, it's always something though, right?

09-28-2010, 06:27 AM   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may very well be the only person in this forum that says that:
- Weather sealing?
- in body SR?
- in camera HDR?

Are all highly over-rated Pentax features!
Over-rated if you don't need them.

I can agree for #3 (you can do that better in PP anyway), it's mostly a JPEG feature anyway. As far as I'm concerned, everything JPEG related could disappear without affecting my shooting.

#1 WR is important to me. I love to use my camera in bad elements, the issue you mentioned about water on the front element is real in really bad weather. In those cases, I use the DA* 50-135mm which has a very deep hood and the problem is solved. I also note that I used cheap lenses not WR with my old K10D and never had any issue. It's better to have the lens sealed of course, but it's much more important on the body where it's all electronics.

#2 SR your point about the tripod is nil as the timer (which everyone should use on a tripod) disable SR automatically. Now about the value of SR, I'm a bit mixed now that I'm using more and more the tripod (which is much better than any kind of SR). It certainly helps a lot in situation where you need shutter speed below 1/60s hand held.

SR & WR are two main draw to Pentax IMHO. I don't think I would use Pentax without those.
09-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #159
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote

SR & WR are two main draw to Pentax IMHO. I don't think I would use Pentax without those.
SR is the only draw to Pentax actually. The camera that the K-5 is being compared to are WR also.
09-28-2010, 06:40 AM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
SR is the only draw to Pentax actually. The camera that the K-5 is being compared to are WR also.
First, it's only very recent (this also means that it's easier to find cheap used WR bodies for Pentax). Secondly, the competitor that shall not be named doesn't offer WR kit lenses. And even the pro ones are much more expensive. Third, it remains to be seen if the said competitor has WR of the same high quality with resistance to cold temperatures (important for me, I live in Canada...).
09-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is what the assistant is for....

But seriously, if you get water on the glass... what is the point?

The hood protects the front lens quite well from rain. And Pentax latest surface coating actually appears to make it harder for the drops to stick on the glass surface. Though this summer I had problem on one occasion where there were so much bugs in the air, and some of them landed on the lens, causing some of my shots to have blurry dark spots So now I'm waiting for a bug proof lens.
09-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #162
Veteran Member

Hummm, I seem to recall that the D7000 has seals indeed, but Nikon never stated that it was WR...

EDIT : well, my bad, it seems Nikon has the following mention on its D7000 page : "superior weather-resistant and anti-dust capabilities"...
Superior to what is still in question...

Last edited by dlacouture; 09-28-2010 at 07:25 AM.
09-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #163
Site Supporter

Actually, the competition didn't know what WR on the class of cameras was until Pentax showed them. Furthermore, Pentax also takes the K-mount including m42. Nikon can do that depending on the body. Canon on the other hand screwed the pooch on FD & FL glass with the EOS mount leaving behind some nice glass. While Nikon has the dual wheel feature on its better APS-C body, Canon doesn't. Also, Pentax has been ahead of the size curve. This is part of the equation for many people, especially at the K-5 level.

Its amazing at the innovations pushed by Asahi Optical/Pentax since 1952 to be adopted by others and then folks say Canon and Nikon can do it to. Its good to see Pentax pushing the envelope a little with the SR, WR and form factor and other features.
09-28-2010, 07:39 AM   #164
Site Supporter

Oh wait, this is supposed to be the bashing thread. OhNo
09-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Oh wait, this is supposed to be the bashing thread. :OhNo:
yeah, I really don't see the added value of K-5 over K-x
- Reason: None...