Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
Pentax should offer a sensor only upgrade for ~150 USD!!! (including sticker)
K-7 owners, interested in such upgrade?

09-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #107

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In defense of this thread, the "stop complaining, just go out and shoot" guys are missing the point. I actually think the root of this thread is well intentioned. There are those of us rooting for Pentax to not just compete with the big boys, but to come out with a camera that compels others to switch to Pentax. (or at least add it to their options). Given the release of the D7000, I think the OP is rightfully concerned in this regard.

The hallmark of an innovative company is not just that they listened and fulfilled their customers needs, but that they effectively predict and innovate beyond what they want. The K-5 is a logical progression, and I'll certainly buy one after a few seasons. But the value proposition has to be much higher to attract people away from the much fabled CaNikon "Ecosystem." The consumer pie that Pentax is fighting for a slice of here, are people who have already started to invest in a system.

We all have our mental models on how Pentax/Hoya can succeed in the dSLR marketplace. "Create a FF camera," vs. entry level strategy employed via K-x, etc. It's also the case that perhaps Pentax ran the numbers and they just are targeting their existing K-x, K20, K100, K-7 user base. But I really think the case is that many feel that the already saturated Prosumer APS-C market is a tough cookie to crack, with virtually all players cannibalizing their own lines with better and better features in newer cheaper cameras. And that it's becoming harder and harder to differentiate yourself in this environment. The value proposition of a K-5 for an existing Pentax user is undeniable. But we were rooting for a class leader to attract others to the brand.

And I think it's healthy to hold Pentax to that high standard. You can bash the gear-philiacs as much as you want, but they're the ones paying the bills at Hoya these days. It's no surprise they're acting like stockholders.
09-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #108
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Geeze the camera's not even out yet and we're already bashing it? Can we get a life instead? Just askin.
But, but, what if we have a pink line issue on K5s similar to K7's green line issue? have you ever considered that?
09-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
And I think it's healthy to hold Pentax to that high standard. You can bash the gear-philiacs as much as you want, but they're the ones paying the bills at Hoya these days. It's no surprise they're acting like stockholders.
Interesting view, but indeed camera companies make a large part of their money on the bodies sold with kit lens(es).
  • The "cheap" prime kit lens is to my opinion an example of a good move
    • But are they offering it as a kit with K-r as well as K-x?
    • Although WR, the 18-135 icw K-5 is kind of boring...
  • K-5 should have been loaded with more / betters features (including video)
    • Why not???
    • How about 100 fps on lower resolution?
  • K-r should have been smaller iso larger than K-x and include high-res LCD (2.7" would be just fine), focus assist beam and if feasible even Weather Resistant as option at premium price...
Dare to be challengingly different!!!
- Not "obsessed" = K-5 nor just "brilliantly colorful" = K-r...

09-21-2010, 12:48 AM   #110

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
I'm with you on this one. I'd like a K30D, compatible with the old battery grip. FF or even APS-H would be nice. So would a mag-alloy body too. IMO the K10D and K20D has better ergonomics than the K-7 and K-5.

Hmmm. A K30D with dual SD card slots, full HD movie @60fps, dynamic AF/3D tracking, 1/320+ flash sync, two-way wireless flash communication, uncrippled lens mount, GPS...
Scrap the FF/APS-H idea - the new Foveon X3 sensor as in the recently released Sigma SD1 camera would be interestig indeed. Hey doesn't the SD1 also use a version of Pentax's SAFOX and other bits?
09-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Scrap the FF/APS-H idea - the new Foveon X3 sensor as in the recently released Sigma SD1 camera would be interestig indeed. Hey doesn't the SD1 also use a version of Pentax's SAFOX and other bits?
I very am curious to know who buys such camera?
- Only next to (several) other brand(s)?
09-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #112

It's matter of the photographer. OF course I admit my K7 does fall short comparing to Nikon D90 or Canon 7D, but its user-friendly navigation suit my style and I'm thrilled with it.

I can take better photos than those who owned high-end camerahonestly. I'm glad they keep the body of K7 in K5. It really helped al ot on my mountain climb trip. I really wish the K5 improved in terms of ISO and AF. Then I'll definitely buy one to accompany my ever lovely K7.

09-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
I very am curious to know who buys such camera?
- Only next to (several) other brand(s)?
Me for one. I'm decidedly non-mainstream (anti CaNikoSony), and for its unique features, the the Foveon sensor appeals to me. C'mon Pentax, how about slipping it in the K30D?
09-21-2010, 01:45 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Me for one. I'm decidedly non-mainstream (anti CaNikoSony), and for its unique features, the the Foveon sensor appeals to me. C'mon Pentax, how about slipping it in the K30D?
Understood (that is also why I like Pentax, but I personally don't need multiple DSRLs)
09-21-2010, 02:49 AM   #115
Veteran Member

it's really funny how some people were bashing the K-7 for not having a sensor that the k-x have. and even wanted a k-x sensor on a K-7 body. now that wish had been granted in the form of the K-5 and even further pushed way beyond the k-x's High ISO capability (80-51k), people are now complaining because it's nothing more than an upgraded K-7 with an improved sensor and not much innovation aside from AF speed accuracy and increased FPS shooting?

now you got what you wished for and you still complain? is it because of the price? fwiw, the K-5's price is the same as that of the K-7 last year, as the same of the K20D of the previous year and which each camera had undergone some certain changes that the other one lacks.

It's a great camera for the people who have the money for it and doesn't own the K-7.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 09-21-2010 at 06:29 AM.
09-21-2010, 04:02 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Pentaxor, even if the K-5 were available for sale tomorrow, a lot of detractors probably can't go out and buy one... so the only recourse that they can do is to pooh-pooh the new camera, perhaps a bad case of sour grapes???
Unfortunately it is hard for some to admit their old cameras have been superceded and they lack the means to buy a replacement. Envy can drive people to be negative.
09-21-2010, 04:07 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben Hunt Quote
Just saying....

Bigest problem with the k-5 is... it's not a K30D..

One of the main reasons why i got a K20D over a K7 was because of size and ergonomics.....Make me a K30D and i'll upgrade.....

am i the only one who would like a K30D?
No Ben you are not alone. I prefer the K20D ergonomics over the K7/K5's as well... Doesn't mean I won't buy a K5 though, because I do need the improved AF for the sports and events I shoot. I manage well with MF in my K20D but it's be nice to be able to rely on AF with confidence more often.
09-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #118

For the complainers, it doesn't matter what Pentax does as they will always find fault (just like the Canon and Nikon complainers). If Pentax came out with a full frame, 20 fps, 24 megapixel, weather sealed, instant focusing camera with ISO 51,200 for under a thousand bucks, there would still be a bashing thread. As Pentax has responded to the list of consumer wants, as they have with the K5, these folks would just make a new list. For the complainers, it's about the conversation, not the pictures.
09-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I manage well with MF in my K20D but it's be nice to be able to rely on AF with confidence more often.
Bold is mine. Without disrespect, but perchance, Michael, you don't really need to upgrade from your K20D?!
09-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman Quote
No solar panels!
No GPS!
No built in bag-carrying robot!
AAAGGGHHH! Geek Rage! Geek Rage! Massive Fail!

It reminds me of the out-of-control rumors on the iPad. By the time it was announced there were those who predicted utter failure if it did not heal the sick and raise the dead.
That's right! And where is the frozen yogurt maker and satellite dish!