Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
I'm just disappointed with price. I was really holding out for the K-5, but with the price it is at, I have decided I am going with a Canon 7D. Much better camera, even costs less. Amazon has a deal right now and I can get a 7D with a 28-135 lens for only $1430. Much better deal.
You do realize that introductory pricing is not a reflection of final pricing right?
Have you looked at what the 7D was priced at upon release? I remember the ruckus it caused over in dpreview as everyone in the forums argued that the camera would die due to it being "as expensive as a FF solution"

Truth is I too think the 7D is an amazing camera.
But, I don't own any lenses and I'm not really compelled to start a new APS-C kit for one. However... when prices settle, the K-5 will be every bit as affordable as any other prosumer DSLR on the market. So I'd say patience is the key rather than switching systems.

Couple of things do come to mind with the 7D though...
How is the weather sealing?
Does it have in body SR?
How does it compare in sensitivity?
Does it offer in camera HDR?
Do you value quiet shutter?

Are but a few questions that comes to mind.
I know on my end of things, the weather sealing is a deal breaker.
I often shoot in adverse conditions and I couldn't stand the thought of worrying about my camera in rain, fog, mist etc.

09-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #32
emr

I'm pretty sure this camera won't even blend well.
09-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Do any of the members that are complaining about AF actually have used the new Safox IX + system ? Cause I see a lot of people talking trash about the new autofocus system and I'm confused.
No point in saying "IF it can't focus it's not gonna be any good" I think we all know that.

EDIT: I haven't use it myself and for all I know, it could be crap, but hey, keep faith, it could also be a major breakthrough for Pentax!
You can also say "IF it can't focus accurately it is not gonna to be any good"
09-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
You do realize that introductory pricing is not a reflection of final pricing right?
Have you looked at what the 7D was priced at upon release? I remember the ruckus it caused over in dpreview as everyone in the forums argued that the camera would die due to it being "as expensive as a FF solution"

But, I don't own any lenses and I'm not really compelled to start a new APS-C kit for one. However... when prices settle, the K-5 will be every bit as affordable as any other prosumer DSLR on the market. So I'd say patience is the key rather than switching systems.

Does it have in body SR?

I often shoot in adverse conditions and I couldn't stand the thought of worrying about my camera in rain, fog, mist etc.
Don't forget that 7D is heavier, for those who wish to take a decent DSLR for traveling purposes, it will not be a good choice. Don't get me wrong, 7D is one fine camera with some unique features.

09-20-2010, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Really?

QuoteOriginally posted by cegaton Quote
I don't quite see who this camera is designed for.
Professionals?
No tethered shooting, no Full Frame. Ever heard of Pros shooting HDR JPGS?
Video Shooters?
Video at 25fps only, no manual image or audio controls?
Amateurs?
At this price range and with so many cheaper and more flexible cameras around?

I can't imagine this camera flying of the shelves
You sign up here, wait two and a half years, and THIS is your first post? Really?
09-20-2010, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #36

No solar panels!
No GPS!
No built in bag-carrying robot!
AAAGGGHHH! Geek Rage! Geek Rage! Massive Fail!

It reminds me of the out-of-control rumors on the iPad. By the time it was announced there were those who predicted utter failure if it did not heal the sick and raise the dead.
09-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
whine Whine WHINE!
I'll drink to that......

09-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #38
Forum Member

I think K-5 price *is* a little high thou, it would have been highly competitive if it's priced at around $1200ish range - not sure if that's even possible.

I'm sure it's a very good camera, but at that price range, most buyers may just go with a more familiar brand instead. Sure the K-5 may have a few unique features (personally I liked Pentax for their compactness), but nothing that would be enough to sway a buyer who's not familiar with Pentax to go with an 'off-brand' camera.
09-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #39
Raylon

Does it have in body SR?

From what I've read, the prices, $1500 for body, and $1750 for body+kit, are going to be when the K5 comes to the market. And I doubt they will fall anytime soon. The 7D was $1700 body, $1900 kit. Not a big difference for a whole lot more camera, IMO.

Has good weather sealing, on par with Pentax from all I've read. I've seen quite a few tests of the 7D being taken in a shower or frozen in snow and working fine.
No SR, but IS lenses aren't that tremendously expensive like everyone thinks. Also, just boost ISO and get a decent shutter speed, don't need IS.
7D usable ISO goes up to 3200, but can go to 6400. 3200 is plenty high, and the images I've seen are great at that rating for 18MP.
I personally could care less about HDR. I will just do it the old fashion way if I need it.
My K200 has a loud shutter, so no it doesn't matter to me either.

But it varies from person to person. Some people are fine with Pentax, others fine with Canon, Nikon, whatever. I am only 20, and I plan on picking a system and sticking with it. I will be getting a nice high paying job in a few years, so I will be able to afford a FF and will want to have some accompanying gear to go with it, so Pentax currently doesn't really help me there. That's all I am sayin. To each his own.
09-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I think most are concerned with the pricing of the k-5. That being said, if Pentax is creative enough, we would expect a rebate program or additional warranty of some sort (for a short period of time), to award the early adaptors and put as many K-5 as possible into the skilled hands to explore and test to make the rest of us feel that the higher price is really worth compared to the competition. I am not the early adaptor type and I am willing to wait a bit.
09-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I'll drink to that......
I won't.

The K-5 has no built-in cappuccino dispenser.

This is wrong. It's a dud. Shame on Pentax.
09-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I realize that where I live, street price will stay very close to RRP until K-5 replacement is out
09-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #43

For better or worse, I am a professional photographer married to Pentax for now.

My wife doesn't make lasagna quite the way I like it, so I should just dump her, right?

She still feeds me bro', and so does Pentax.

Last edited by jeff knight; 09-20-2010 at 02:12 PM.
09-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #44
Veteran Member

All the changes are nice, especially the AF-C and AF in general if it delivers as promised. But the lack of tethering, or at least the mention of it, makes this a non-starter for me, as ended up the case with the K-7. I can sell my K20D and the update cost for a 7D is about $700 for the body only...the update cost for me if I grab a K5 is at minimum $1200 for the body alone. I can add a decent standard lense and a EF-S 55-250IS (great inexpensive, think $250 new, lense from Canon) to the 7D for near to the $500 difference AND keep my Limteds which will mount on the 7D, granted manual but for product shots that is fine...and in the mean time my Ltd's just grow in value but I get the bonus of tethering, which is far more important to me than the AF.

it's not that I want to switch but rather HoyaTax seems to NOT WANT people like me as customers.
09-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #45
Veteran Member

oh my

Are all we gonna do is complain the camera s is not in anybodys hands yet