Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #76
Forum Member

The only things that I think Pentax sucks at are, at this point, is their poor marketing over information discrepancies and those awful (in my opinion) wobbly videos done in their Pentax Colorado offices.

Reading Falk's blog and the Pentax officials don't even know what some of the bullet points in their press release means without calling Japan? That's just poor preparation.

09-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Does anyone know if the K5 has interval shooting? (time lapse)"

Something about 999 images, 1 second to 24 hours interval. I bet the batteries are not up to the task.
And the damn sensor will most likely overheat.
09-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cegaton Quote
I don't quite see who this camera is designed for.
Professionals?
No tethered shooting, no Full Frame. Ever heard of Pros shooting HDR JPGS?
Video Shooters?
Video at 25fps only, no manual image or audio controls?
Amateurs?
At this price range and with so many cheaper and more flexible cameras around?

I can't imagine this camera flying of the shelves
I am completely with you on this one, especially now that we know what the price is going to be. I just don't see how this is better than a D7000 for $400 bucks more. Weather seal is nice, but the average photography don't trail through snow mountains and sand storms. The only crowd I can see how this camera is tailored to is to explorers or "adventure-seekers" going through the wilderness who might appreciate bringing a light tough camera in their backpacks.
09-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #79
Forum Member

ISO

the ISo is listed to MAX out like the K-X at 12800, not 51200 as rumored. I still like my K-X. a lot of people that see the little white monster think it is a really nice camera. just the same as a co-worker of mine that has a canon ti1 has a nice camera, we talk to each other as equals, we like each others cameras... oddly the one thing the canon can do mine cannot, it has a 15.5MP sensor. otherwise, I guess the k-5 is nice, but price will have to go down if it is to be the K-R.. LMFAO.

09-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
Weather seal is nice, but the average photography don't trail through snow mountains and sand storms. The only crowd I can see how this camera is tailored to is to explorers or "adventure-seekers" going through the wilderness who might appreciate bringing a light tough camera in their backpacks.
In other words, this camera is aimed at ME. Hence, I will buy one in a year or so before my next big trek.

Also, street price difference with the D7000 will be $200 or less on the US market, based on the latest reports we've been hearing. In other markets the MSRPs are about the same anyways. So that whole "point" has kind of evaporated.

QuoteOriginally posted by EvilPentaxUser Quote
the ISo is listed to MAX out like the K-X at 12800, not 51200 as rumored... otherwise, I guess the k-5 is nice, but price will have to go down if it is to be the K-R.. LMFAO.
Do your homework. The K-x does 200-6400 normally and 100-12800 if you enable expanded ISO. The K-5 does 100-12800 normally and 80-51200 with expanded ISO enabled.

The price already has gone down, btw.
09-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EvilPentaxUser Quote
the ISo is listed to MAX out like the K-X at 12800, not 51200 as rumored. I still like my K-X. a lot of people that see the little white monster think it is a really nice camera. just the same as a co-worker of mine that has a canon ti1 has a nice camera, we talk to each other as equals, we like each others cameras... oddly the one thing the canon can do mine cannot, it has a 15.5MP sensor. otherwise, I guess the k-5 is nice, but price will have to go down if it is to be the K-R.. LMFAO.
(51200 with expansion)
09-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The IX+ is going to have to be evaluated before an objective opinion can be made. Anything else at this point is subjective bullshit. I'm guessing it is better than the previous system or they wouldn't have used it in the K-5. At this point, its just a guess. If I wanted subjective b.s., I'd go over to Relative Humidity's site.

In the mean time:

:BS:
Hi-deeee-hooooo

{image and links removed as I have nothing worthy of contributing to PentaxForums}

Last edited by brecklundin; 11-27-2010 at 10:12 PM.
09-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
In other words, this camera is aimed at ME. Hence, I will buy one in a year or so before my next big trek.

Also, street price difference with the D7000 will be $200 or less on the US market, based on the latest reports we've been hearing. In other markets the MSRPs are about the same anyways. So that whole "point" has kind of evaporated.

Do your homework. The K-x does 200-6400 normally and 100-12800 if you enable expanded ISO. The K-5 does 100-12800 normally and 80-51200 with expanded ISO enabled.

The price already has gone down, btw.
That's still at least $200 more or a similar product. I was really excited about the K5 a couple weeks ago with its initial specs and all, but now, I'm not too sure if I want to join in anymore...
09-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Meh. It's digital, it does basic video, AF (lazy lazy), and shoots 7 frames in one second. It's a standard digital camera. No SLR manufacturer is really going to produce anything shattering until full-frame becomes commercially viable. That's about it. Pentax isn't DOOMED OMG NOES. Nikon is going to come out with something similarly "upgraded" and far more overpriced soon. Canon will probably be close behind. Until full-frame becomes financially tenable there aren't really going to be any huge advances, and, honestly, HONESTLY, do we need them? If I wanted my camera to do video, I'd buy a video camera. If I wanted auto-everything and to be completely removed from the process, I'd buy a Nikon. Maybe I'm just being the cranky film photographer, but that doesn't mean I'm automatically wrong here. We should be waiting for full-frame, but until then EVERY major manufacturer is going to release cameras like this. And YES, I realize Leica has full-frame, and YES I know Sony and Nikon are starting to produce it, but the price tag on those models is WHAT, exactly?
Right then. You've gotten improved AF and video capabilities, Pentax hasn't dumped K-mount, and their new camera, while not full-frame, offers several improved features for a slightly higher price than the last one. What exactly is the problem? We'll get FF eventually, but, until then, isn't this essentially expected?
09-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, I need something for nausea after reading this thread...
09-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #86

I'll buy one next year!
09-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #87

i was really disappointed to find out that the person who had seen the italian video and reported the k5 even produces cappuccino appears to have gotten it wrong. why can't pentax even get the right specs out to the public?
09-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #88

Just saying....

Bigest problem with the k-5 is... it's not a K30D..

One of the main reasons why i got a K20D over a K7 was because of size and ergonomics.....Make me a K30D and i'll upgrade.....

am i the only one who would like a K30D?
09-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben Hunt Quote
Just saying....

Bigest problem with the k-5 is... it's not a K30D..

One of the main reasons why i got a K20D over a K7 was because of size and ergonomics.....Make me a K30D and i'll upgrade.....

am i the only one who would like a K30D?
You could just stick a K30D sticker on it
09-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
You could just stick a K30D sticker on it
hahaha, and i'll place a K-R sticker on my K200D :P