Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #91
Veteran Member

To me the K-5 is no surprise and kind of boring / not going for the extremes. Other people might like predictability...
  • WR, of course, but see the price premium...
  • High ISO performance, finally up to speed with cheap K-x?
  • Better AF (also in low light), let us first see the resulting performance...
  • Full HD, of course, but why no manual control, nor higher frame rates at lower resolutions?
  • No IrSimple or more colors (or color combinations) and 4 AA battery compatibility like K-x?
  • No panorama sweep
  • No GPS
It is an upgrade, the high ISO was badly needed, but why charge your customers that much more?
- Pentax should offer a sensor only upgrade for ~150 USD!!! (including sticker)

09-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm totally bummed....I would have thought, given we have massive improvements in speed.....(frames per second, auto focus AND ISO), they could at least throw a big lime green knob on the front to make it adjustable. That way you could crank that puppy up to take pictures of things before they happen.

Then there are x-ray glasses. You know, the ones they advertised in the comics during the 70s? I bought a set when I was 8 and wore them to school in Mrs Grays class but unfortunately mine appeared to be defective. Anyways, it's old technology yet the K-5 doesn't have x-ray anything....
09-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
My wife doesn't make lasagna quite the way I like it, so I should just dump her, right?

She still feeds me bro', and so does Pentax.
Mine doesn't feed me. Do you think I should send her in for repair, or would this be a good reason to upgrade?
09-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
"Does anyone know if the K5 has interval shooting? (time lapse)"

Something about 999 images, 1 second to 24 hours interval. I bet the batteries are not up to the task.
And the damn sensor will most likely overheat.
No problem, I think.
I've shot about 1,000 images on the K-7 using an external interval timer (one every 5 seconds) - made it into a time lapse film.

Just charge the battery fully first.
The camera uses battery power very sparingly if you switch off the LCD, and I've never had a sensor overheat with still photos and non-LV.

09-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben Hunt Quote
Just saying....

Bigest problem with the k-5 is... it's not a K30D..

One of the main reasons why i got a K20D over a K7 was because of size and ergonomics.....Make me a K30D and i'll upgrade.....

am i the only one who would like a K30D?
I'm with you on this one. I'd like a K30D, compatible with the old battery grip. FF or even APS-H would be nice. So would a mag-alloy body too. IMO the K10D and K20D has better ergonomics than the K-7 and K-5.

Hmmm. A K30D with dual SD card slots, full HD movie @60fps, dynamic AF/3D tracking, 1/320+ flash sync, two-way wireless flash communication, uncrippled lens mount, GPS...

Last edited by Mohawk; 09-20-2010 at 08:11 PM.
09-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #96
Inactive Account

ISO 51200 - the highest iso settings on any camera are always unusable, this will be here just for kicks so Pentax can claim it can go there. Rather have Sony's triple shot night mode.

ISO 80 - this isn't a whole lot less than 100. ISO 50 would be truly desirable.

No improvements to SR - In body SR is good in that you don't need SR lenses. SR lenses are good in that their SR is a hell of a lot better than in body SR. Canon and Nikon are both evolving their SR with panning detection and tripod detection so no one's to say SR technology has reached its plateau. Pentax just thinks their existing is good enough.

LO FPS mode - LO shouldn't be so low as 2 FPS. It should remain as the K-7's 3.3 FPS.

Unlikely to have predictive AF - Pentax didn't say they have it just like everyone else who has it says they have it so I'll assume its still using the K-7's repeating focus lock method.

No dual card slots - Always wanted them but only full frame and above cameras have it. Now the D7000 has them.

Still no digital level calibration - I'm not sure if other companies have this but my K-7's level isn't level and I can't change it.

Still has a locking knob - Never saw the point of this on the K-7 as I've never ran into a situation when the knob would have been accidentally changed. Bumping the knob requires bumping the camera in which case you have bigger problems to worry about beyond your mode changing.

DA 18-135 - Pentax already has a lot of consumer zooms covering this range all of which are undesirable. This new one isn't going to be either. Wide range zooms like this never perform well.

DA 35 - Pentax already has a desirable version of this. They're not going to cannibalize their own market by making this one equally good.
09-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #97

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
I'm with you on this one. I'd like a K30D, compatible with the old battery grip. FF or even APS-H would be nice. So would a mag-alloy body too. IMO the K10D and K20D has better ergonomics than the K-7 and K-5.

Hmmm. A K30D with dual SD card slots, full HD movie @60fps, dynamic AF/3D tracking, 1/320+ flash sync, two-way wireless flash communication, uncrippled lens mount, GPS...
I'm with you on that one! Or at least 16 mp, high iso and frame rate..... all into the nice K20D body with a 3inch screen :P

09-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Then there are x-ray glasses. You know, the ones they advertised in the comics during the 70s? I bought a set when I was 8 and wore them to school in Mrs Grays class but unfortunately mine appeared to be defective.
I did always wonder about them! Thanks for clearing that up!
09-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a great body for Pentax users, but I agree with those that are saying that it wont sell to new users. Pentax is a fairly small name in photography right now and people are going to choose Canon and Nikon in general for the better system overall. More newer lenses, better used market, MUCH more accessories available...This is why swayed me to Canon at the beginning.

I do wish that my Canon camera had SR and weather sealing up to par with the k-7. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the weather sealing is better on the k-5 than the 7D. Don't let Canon marketing fool you, the "real" weather sealing is reserved for the 1D series bodies. 7D is an improvement, but is still slightly crippled. Canon isn't a real big believer in trickling down features in lower end bodies (until forced by Nikon a la 7D) which has always disappointed me.
09-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Mine doesn't feed me. Do you think I should send her in for repair, or would this be a good reason to upgrade?
it's also lacking a keg and a catheter...
09-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #101
Forum Member

This is a lot of whining about a product that nobody has ever used.
So, do any of these whiners ever take any good photo's anyway?
There are even guys who whine about price and the lack of FF in the same post. Do they even realise how much extra it is going to cost them to switch to a FF set-up?
Why all the whining about video? If you want a video camera - buy one! I know I'm not even going to look at the video feature when I buy my K-5.
Jeez guys - wait until you see and use the camera.
Sorry, just venting....
09-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #102
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman Quote
...Massive Fail!
I believe the geekie term you are looking for is "Epic Fail!"

Me, if the AF and High ISO are excellent, I'd be hard pressed not to replace my K20D. For someone with over $6,500 of DA and DA* glass (between my wife and I) the K-5 looks awesome. Don't care about video either, that's what my Panasonic TM700 is for...

My only beef... the buffer should really have been a bit bigger.

Eagerly awaiting reviews...

RadamFG
09-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #103
Forum Member

RadamFG - couldn't agree with you more. The K5 looks like a winner from every angle - what more can anyone ask from a small SLR. Now I just have to decide between saving my pennies for the eventual 645D (used) or pick up a K5.
09-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Camera lucida Quote
This is a lot of whining about a product that nobody has ever used.
So, do any of these whiners ever take any good photo's anyway?
There are even guys who whine about price and the lack of FF in the same post. Do they even realise how much extra it is going to cost them to switch to a FF set-up?
Why all the whining about video? If you want a video camera - buy one! I know I'm not even going to look at the video feature when I buy my K-5.
Jeez guys - wait until you see and use the camera.
Sorry, just venting....
I agree. I often forget that I can do video with the K7.
09-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Camera lucida Quote
Do they even realise how much extra it is going to cost them to switch to a FF set-up?
Well, I`m basically all set for an FF camera from Pentax - got 17mm - 200mm all covered with 9 fast primes and zooms.

But it obviously was a mistake to stack FF glass hoping for body in the future.