Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #166
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 received the Photokina Star Award.

. . . awe crap, its the bashing thread again.

Edit: Hey wait, I know what is wrong with the K-5. I don't have one.

09-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #167
Veteran Member

09-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I won't.

The K-5 has no built-in cappuccino dispenser.

This is wrong. It's a dud. Shame on Pentax.
Not only that but it doesn't dispense a bon-bon every time you nail a shot!

NaCl(what were they thinking!)H2O
09-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
<snip>.

I'm gonna be bummed if this thing has too much weather helm at 20 degrees of heel and pressure on the wheel nearly dislocates your shoulders . . . . . . . oops, wrong forum.

<snip>

Jer
Like many posters, she gripes a bit but you'll put up with her ....

09-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it not heat resistant enough. I can't use it at 40 degrees C while I'm in the open desert.
09-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #171
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it not heat resistant enough. I can't use it at 40 degrees C while I'm in the open desert.
Well, 40°C is the norm here in Provence in July/August, so these specs are pretty short for me...
09-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Suspect it will be hard to bash K-5. Lets see what I can come up with...

...I know...

...it doesn't work with my LX motor drive and battery pack!
Pentax changes grip way too often!!!
If they continue like this, I will change brand, maybe get myself a Konica T3...

09-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, 40°C is the norm here in Provence in July/August, so these specs are pretty short for me...
And what about gloval warming! Why didn't they prepare the K-5 for that?
Sure, the weather resistance will be nice to have when the Greenland ice melts. But obviously they didn't consider all aspects about this problem!
09-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #174
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Not only that but it doesn't dispense a bon-bon every time you nail a shot!

NaCl(what were they thinking!)H2O
what aboot a "baby wipes" dispenser???
09-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #175
Veteran Member

K5 is not in 3D !
09-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #176
Veteran Member

It won't wash my car, it won't feed my cat, won't make waffles...probably won't even bring in the newspaper...I'm switching to Canon...

NOT...

Want some cheese with your whine??
09-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
...More importantly, who is taking photos in the rain? If I need to, I use an umbrella... WR or not, the lens is useless if it is wet. I take hundreds of photos in the rain, just because you don't doesn't mean everyone doesn't

#2. In body SR? How old are you 5? Or 105? Don't you remember the days before SR? I took great photos without SR? When did it suddenly become a vital necessity? Besides, SR is actually a detriment when using a tripod. How many know that it should be turned off in these situations? I remember the days before I had a camera too, should I stop using mine now?

#3. In camera HDR? Seriously? That is what post production is for? The in camera firmware and processing power can never be as good as software on your PC! In camera HDR IS post production, just in a smaller computer.

Anyhow, I bring these three items up because I see a lot of Pentax fan boys brag but seriously, other camera enthusiasts are not envious of such features! Ones that I have talked to are, so you are wrong.
But seriously, if you get water on the glass... what is the point?
I take hundreds in the rain without getting water on the lens, just because you can't do that doesn't mean others can't.
Rain = water on lens = distortion. Wrong again, I have no trouble in rain, I don't get water on the lens, do you not possess common sense enough to keep it off your lens?

Real men don't use tripods? Surely you jest! I use a tripod about once every couple of years, just because you use yours more often doesn't mean everyone does.

Sure, there are the occasional threads wishing for in-camera SR, in the Canon forum, but it is hardly a reason for any of them to abandon Canon for Pentax. And yet there are people coming from those brands posting here that that is one reason they are changing iirc..
Most the above is the typical "I don't do this so it can't matter to anyone else either" crap." We all shoot in different styles, in different conditions, using different subjects, we are all different from one another.

WR on the camera without a WR lens is still wonderful. I can protect the lens easily (without an umbrella - yes it can be done), and the back of the camera gets very wet and I have no worries.
09-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, the competition didn't know what WR on the class of cameras was until Pentax showed them. Furthermore, Pentax also takes the K-mount including m42. Nikon can do that depending on the body. Canon on the other hand screwed the pooch on FD & FL glass with the EOS mount leaving behind some nice glass. While Nikon has the dual wheel feature on its better APS-C body, Canon doesn't. Also, Pentax has been ahead of the size curve. This is part of the equation for many people, especially at the K-5 level.

Its amazing at the innovations pushed by Asahi Optical/Pentax since 1952 to be adopted by others and then folks say Canon and Nikon can do it to. Its good to see Pentax pushing the envelope a little with the SR, WR and form factor and other features.
Ah... screw the fact that this is a bashing thread!

Okay, okay.... you folks got me, SR and WR are indeed unique features on the Pentax.

Now, can you see why I have stubbornly waited more than two years for Pentax to redeem themselves and get me a worthy K20D replacement. I only purchased the Canon 50D because I absolutely needed a camera for long exposures!

Can you see why I am so annoyed that Pentax is clueless about long exposures?

I really want Pentax to succeed and I really don't want to jump ship, but my patience is running out.

Last edited by pentaxmz; 09-28-2010 at 09:35 PM.
09-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Most the above is the typical "I don't do this so it can't matter to anyone else either" crap." We all shoot in different styles, in different conditions, using different subjects, we are all different from one another.

WR on the camera without a WR lens is still wonderful. I can protect the lens easily (without an umbrella - yes it can be done), and the back of the camera gets very wet and I have no worries.
If I wasn't so lazy, I would search your history of posts to see how you responded to criticism about forced DFS. It seems to me that many of you certainly don't care about this issue... so their may be some hypocrisy going on here.

>>Rain = water on lens = distortion.

>Wrong again, I have no trouble in rain, I don't get water on the
>lens, do you not possess common sense enough to keep it off your lens?

Well technically I am not wrong. I was not referring to keeping the water off the lens. I'd like to see how you would prevent rain from getting on a shorter focal length lens (say 16mm); good luck with that.

And... how the heck does one multi-quote? I click the button but whether it is + or - makes no difference when I reply.
09-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #180
Site Supporter

Some lenses have SP on the front element. That and a hood will go a long way to minimize water drops. For everything else, I'll just break out the W90.