Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
This is it my friend!
The K-5 will run circles around our K20's.
It will be the ultimate upgrade.
nope the 645D is. you saw the samples. the difference is night and day. maybe the Sigma SD1 can do that? oh no, we might need some Pentax lens revision if ever that comes to fruition.

for $1,000, what else would you want to ask for?

10-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Back to the OP...

In theory and on paper the K-5 should trump the K20D by several fold...BUT, since no one here has spent any time with the camera producing images and in a real world experience (seeing it and touching it does not count), how can anyone here be qualified to answer a speculative question?

The camera body should be out in a week or two, just be patient and let some real critiquing follow.

Jason
10-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
In theory and on paper the K-5 should trump the K20D by several fold...BUT, since no one here has spent any time with the camera producing images and in a real world experience (seeing it and touching it does not count), how can anyone here be qualified to answer a speculative question?

The camera body should be out in a week or two, just be patient and let some real critiquing follow.
It is not speculation.

We've already seen potential of the new Sony 16 megapixel sensor— it is definitely an improvement over Samsung 14 megapixel sensor, used in K20D and in K-7.

K-7 is big improvement over K20D except sensor. K-5 basically is K-7 with better sensor and slightly improved AF. Therefore we can safely state that K-5 is going to be an improvement over K20D in all areas.
10-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, unlike the k7 (which had worse sensor performance than a k20d as a side effect of video support) the k5 is better in every way.

10-07-2010, 03:41 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Does anyone know if the K5 shutter is as quiet as the K7?

Everything else is looking good.
Per those at Photokina, it sounds almost exactly the same.
10-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Pentax upgrades are always a direction of travel and never a destination. Buy your next camera based on accretion of features.
10-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
Oh well, one can always change one's mind, can't one.
K-5 pre-ordered today. Main reasons are ISO and AF plus the rest of the goodies. So the K10 goes out of the bag and K20 is the backup.

Has anyone had any problems with the after market BG4 grips?

David
I think you will find the K-5 to be quite the upgrade over the K20, in just about every way conceivable. Most notably, might be the ergonomics. K-7/5 have great enough ergonomics to start, but throw the BG-4 on, and it even better. I think you'll be very happy.
10-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
Oh well, one can always change one's mind, can't one.
K-5 pre-ordered today. Main reasons are ISO and AF plus the rest of the goodies. So the K10 goes out of the bag and K20 is the backup.

Has anyone had any problems with the after market BG4 grips?

David
David,

I think the K5 is going to be a solid choice for sure. I am waiting for a variety of reasons but wanted to offer an comment on the battery grip. I say go with the Pentax grip simply on the off chance you might need it under inclement conditions or dusty conditions too. It's weather sealed and I haven't found any 3rd party grips which are sealed.

And the bonus is you likely can find a good deal on a used grip if you are lucky as well as patient.

Things like a battery grip are one of the few areas I consider worth the brand name cost, in this case, simply for the added protection of the sealing.

BTW, I am not sure if the grip for the BG-4 have an AF button. The BG-2 for the K10D/K20D did not so shooting portrait with the AF function uncoupled from the shutter button presents a problem for some people as the find getting to the actual AF button a problem.

10-08-2010, 02:17 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
BTW, I am not sure if the grip for the BG-4 have an AF button. The BG-2 for the K10D/K20D did not so shooting portrait with the AF function uncoupled from the shutter button presents a problem for some people as the find getting to the actual AF button a problem.
D-BG4 has AF button.
10-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
D-BG4 has AF button.
thanks!! if I do stay a grip will be a must have so good to know at least that button is there where it should be for portrait orientation.
10-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
thanks!! if I do stay a grip will be a must have so good to know at least that button is there where it should be for portrait orientation.
I also find D-BG4 much more comfortable to hold than D-BG2.
10-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I also find D-BG4 much more comfortable to hold than D-BG2.
Yeah. Waaaaaay more comfortable than the BG-2. The K20+BG-2 ergonomics were decent in landscape and pretty awful in portrait. The K-7+BG-2 ergonomics are excellent in landscape and every bit as good in portrait.
10-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Yeah. Waaaaaay more comfortable than the BG-2. The K20+BG-2 ergonomics were decent in landscape and pretty awful in portrait. The K-7+BG-2 ergonomics are excellent in landscape and every bit as good in portrait.
Great! I already bought a BG-2 and 3 batteries in prep for the K-5. I never was impressed with the BG-4 on my K20D in portrait but just thought it was me. Very happy to hear its better.
10-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Great! I already bought a BG-2 and 3 batteries in prep for the K-5. I never was impressed with the BG-4 on my K20D in portrait but just thought it was me. Very happy to hear its better.
Err... My bad on typing BG-2 for both K-7 and K20. BG-4 is the grip for K-7.
10-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Err... My bad on typing BG-2 for both K-7 and K20. BG-4 is the grip for K-7.

No misunderstanding. To be specific, I have a D-BG4 for the anticipated arrival of K-5 to be backed up with K20D and its bigger (eg, clumsier) D-BG2.