Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #1

K20D vs K5

So...is the K5 an upgrade from the K20D?

I remember a few things missing from the K7, like the AF points on the VF, etc...

Are we K20D owners still waiting for a true replacement, or is the K5 it?

Thanks!

09-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This is it my friend!
The K-5 will run circles around our K20's.
It will be the ultimate upgrade.
09-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe that it is the K-x that did not have AF points in the vf. The K-7 has always had that option. If you were holding out on the K-7, then the K-5 is the one to jump on. It is a new sensor, and has twice the FPS of the K20D! From 3 FPS to 7 fps. The AF module is massively updated and as such the AF is much improved. The ISO has been massively increased. Even the native ISO range has increased from 100-3200 on the K20D to the K-5's 100-12800.

I am upgrading :-) I'll get a K-5 after Christmas or at Christmas as soon as I get my USMLE Step 1 done!
09-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
This is it my friend!
"Ultimate upgrade"??? Think FF.

K-5 is a nice bit of gear but certainly not a huge advance on K20D.

What will be good is the chance to pickup a second K20D for a reasonable prices.

09-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
Same weather-sealing as the K20D? Full Adobe RAW format?
Anything missing on the K-5 that's on the K20D?

EDIT: Two things that KILLS me on the K20D are the low-light AF, and slow AF.
I TOTALLY miss shots because of these, even at my son's HS graduation!
I missed shots on the K20D, that my wife got on a Ricoh XR-X (I think it was the XR-X - not sure - AF 35mm)

Frustrating, especially when some shot my Pentax P&S (Optio A40) can get, and the K20D REFUSES to take, or AF on...

Last edited by Sharkonwheels; 09-20-2010 at 03:49 PM.
09-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
This is it my friend!

Hi John, and of course Hi to the OP!

Good to see positiveness here!

K20D ... great camera, which I will definitely keep!

K7 ... I just love this camera and it does a lot for me. Keeper? Not if I decide to upgrade to the K5.

K5 ... : I am totally impressed with the specs, on paper anyway.

I wanted: Faster AF ... got that plus more.
: Higher ISO handling ... got that too!

Just these two improved features would be enough for me to get the K5.

I can't hardly wait for reviews, tests, comparisons with other cameras ... etc. And these will come fast I am sure.

Cheers to you and let's see what happens within the next few days/weeks.

JP
09-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, I now have a backup body...the K20D. I am so a geek, just drooling all over my WR lens waiting for B&H to posts it for sale.

A real photog wants the K-5 because they can make better shots. A geek wants it just because it has some better numbers with no pretense of making better shots.
09-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote

What will be good is the chance to pickup a second K20D for a reasonable prices.
Actually I already own a D700 FF and I will be selling it shortly.
I think the facts are subjective, however... it was a wedding gig that got me to upgrade to a FF in the first place as the K20D simply wasn't up to the task(worthless).

Now... with the K-5's advanced AF, ISO, FPS and other refinements, I will be able to keep my kit and replace my K20's for less than the cost of a single D700. And don't get me started on the cost of ownership of a FF camera(ouch).

I keep seeing people throwing FF solutions around as though they are the end-all to all camera needs, but I have yet to find anyone actually work out the most important detail of all... "cost of ownership"

Ex:

My current working kit value = $4700CA
A FF equivalent = $11000+

Which brings us to a very important issue.
What advantages are we truly looking at past the price point with a FF vs a camera like the K-5?

Answer: DOF and CROP values.

I'll let you be the judge of how much that's worth to you

09-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

ULTIMATE UPGRADE? There is none.

Is the APS-C system better than the Pentax E90? (not if it must fit in your pocket)

Is any FF system better than the APS-C? (not if you need to fill the frame at 300mm instead of 450m)

645D over the FF? (not if your requirements have a limit of $5k)

Hubble camera/lens over the 645D? (I would enjoy seeing that reviewed?

If we stop worrying about the gears and just worry about best filling requirements then you get the ultimate solution for specific need. But its way more fun just to buy bigger and better since we only live once.
09-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The K-7 was a large upgrade from the K20D for me, so the answer to the question is yes.
09-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
I got my K20D on a Christmas 2008 special from Adorama - $699 with the 18-55 pack-in lens, and Pentax had the additional 3YR extended warranty also for free. Shortly after, it shot back up to $1099.

If they have it on a similar sale during the holidays, i may jump, but if it's $1000+, I'd much rather invest in a better negative scanner for my MF film cameras, like the Microtek M1/m1 Pro. Currently using an Epson Perfection V700 Photo scanner - not bad, but not auto-focus like the M1, so it's a HUGE pain to scan, reset with the risers, re-scan to test, try another riser, etc...

Anyways, thanks for the info, and please continue with the comments...

Those that are commenting on the K20D to K7 upgrade, please continue - those are informational as well, as other will chime in about K7 to K5 upgrades, and I can re-assemble the info in my head.

Cheers!
09-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Yep, I now have a backup body...the K20D. I am so a geek, just drooling all over my WR lens waiting for B&H to posts it for sale.

A real photog wants the K-5 because they can make better shots. A geek wants it just because it has some better numbers with no pretense of making better shots.

Yessir! That's what that is! ... the back up body, that is.

Mind you, and you sure must know about that, the K20D has been quite a cam for wildlife shots. Actually, I like it better than the K7 (ooops! ... what did I say? ) for this particular type of photography.
Can't wait to see the K5 specs in the "real world" though.

Any room left for the Geek Club?
Hey! That would be a great thread! "THE Geek Club" !

Cheers.
JP
09-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sharkonwheels Quote
So...is the K5 an upgrade from the K20D?

I remember a few things missing from the K7, like the AF points on the VF, etc...

Are we K20D owners still waiting for a true replacement, or is the K5 it?

Thanks!
I think that if you own a K20D and want to upgrade, the K5 might be the answer but we still have to see what the tests, the real tests by users, show us.

On the other hand, what you have, the K20D, is really a fine camera. If upgrading means that you must sell it, so be it, but I would keep the K20D as a "second" body, finances permitting of course.

As for the K7, I think it is an also great camera, especially at lower ISO's. Sharp, great colours, handsome ergonomics, ... etc.

I am not sure what you imply with "true replacement" but I am quite confident that replacing the K20D with a K5 might answer your question.
Again, time will tell how it performs in the real world.

JP
09-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter

K20 is a nice camera. That K-5 is smaller, has a magnesium shell, better sensor & ISO and the af system is likely better than any Pentax dSLR to date. Plus, I don't think of ff as an upgrade per se but rather a different digital format.
09-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #15
Pentaxian

More to the point, think 645D if you want the ultimate upgrade.
The K5 has a somewhat bigger pixel count, which is nothing to sneeze at ever, and unlike the K20, will have a light meter that works (the K7 is an unbelievably huge step forwards over the K20 in this regard), and if it pans out as it should, will have an AF that, while shy on AF points, should be much more responsive and accurate than the K20.
And this makes no mention of how much more responsive a 7fps camera is over a 3fps camera. The K20 feels like a fat slug compared to the K7, I wouldn't even put it in the same league as the K5 based on how I expect it to handle after reading the spec sheet.

If you don't think these are significant advances, I'd hesitate to even make a guess as to what would impress you.
The K7 was a big enough step forwards that I gave my K20 away to a friend since it was not being used, if the K5 pans out, she just might get a K7 for Christmas.