Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #1546

Photos: Gallery
There seems to be a problem with my previous posts and my pictures may not have been visible. Don't know why, but here's another try.
The last round in the U19 series for the Finnish Championship is next saturday. Our guys lead the series by one point and need to win the last match. Here are - hopefully - some shots from the previous matches (K-5 and Tamron 70-200 f2.8).

I've probably never been as cold at a football pitch before (and I've been there at -20°C). Pouring rain and a gale force wind during the whole match made it nearly impossible to shoot but somehow I managed. I was soaking wet during the match and the 4 hours in the bus after.
The guy in the picture is actually from Manchester City Academy and was on trial for our elite team. We met him in the morning before the trip, drove 4 hours with the bus to the match, after which he pretty much dominated the midfield and helped us win the match. A true player and a nice guy. However, that was the only game he played in Finland.

Another shot from the same match. It was really raining. And did I mention that it was also cold?

We should have won this match. And the previous one. And the one before that. All the last 3 matches have been tied and that means that we will have to win the last match next saturday.

This is the team we must win in the next match. It will be interesting.

As before, I will take my trusted K-5 and the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 with me to document the last game of the season. And I may post some shots of the game here hoping that they will also be available for the rest of you to see. I don't know what the problem is with my previous pictures. Maybe you've been deprived of the greatest football shots in all time ;D

Edit: F*** and all the other things but I hate when things don't work! Thanks rawr, edited the link and it seems to have done the trick.

Last edited by jppp; 10-01-2013 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Fixing dead image links
10-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #1547
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jppp Quote
here's another try.
Try again pls. I'm not seeing anything...

If I go to your album on speakit.kuvat.fi, I can see the images. But any linked image with the extension '_full.jpg' (like 'SJK-TPS-1sept2013-34.jpg/_full.jpg) shows a 403 error ('Forbidden') from the speakit.kuvat.fi server, and so doesn't appear here.

However, if your image link looks like this, with '_img900.jpg' at the end of the URL, it works:

Last edited by rawr; 10-01-2013 at 04:08 PM.
10-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #1548
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moro jppp, Joo ne ei toimi jonkin takia. Muuten... makeat kuvat on kotisivulla.

Terveiset vanhalta Kuusankoskelaiselta.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-01-2013 at 05:14 PM.
10-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #1549

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Moro jppp, Joo ne ei toimi jonkin takia. Muuten... makeat kuvat on kotisivulla.

Terveiset vanhalta Kuusankoskelaiselta.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Moro jppp, Joo ne ei toimi jonkin takia.
Moro Ex Kuusankoski! V*t*ttaa nämä kuvalinkit ja se kun sählään niitten kanssa koko ajan!
/end finnish

I need to get my act together with the image links! This seems to be an on-going problem with my posts. Must look into it a bit.

Edit: Looked into some of my posts during the last year or so and fixed whatever bad links I found. The gallery site has changed some time ago which has affected the links. So, not entirely my fault, which is always important ;D

Last edited by jppp; 10-02-2013 at 05:16 AM.
10-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #1550
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had a go at H.S football, home coming game. These were shot from behind the fence on the ground level or at the lower section of the bleachers?.
I believe that I am getting to the point of being sick of H.S. stadium lighting at night, see the last shot, be it La-Cross, Soccer or Band...and having to shoot RAW and up to ISO 10 000.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:45 PM.
10-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #1551
Veteran Member

Ex Finn I still like that last shot! That's a power move and you captured it well.
10-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #1552
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Ex Finn I still like that last shot! That's a power move and you captured it well.
Thanks bass3587.

10-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #1553

We are the Finnish U19 Champions!

A 1-1 tie in the last match was enough - and even unnecessary - as our rivals lost their match. So, last year the U17 championship and silver in the U19 championship and now this. Not bad.

Some quick shots with my K-5 and Tamron 70-200 f2.8 as always. The lighting was way less than optimal with heavily overcast sky and some rain:

Not the sharpest of images but this time I don't care. The facial expressions tell me what this is all about. What a great bunch of young men! Makes me a proud father and a proud team official. And what a great time to retire from being a team official! There are more teams and more sports to shoot, so it's time to branch out.

Last edited by jppp; 10-07-2013 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Wrong image link and grammar
10-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #1554
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

10-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #1555
Veteran Member

I had such a frustrating time photographing my daughter at athletics last weekend. Using the K-5 with a 50-135, AF-C and single center AF point was just not good enough to be able to get a single in focus shot of her in her 200m race The AF grabbed the background, or a following runner, for the entire 15 shot burst.

The K-3 had better solve this problem. If a DSLR can’t do AF-C properly then what is the point of them. Even my RX100 did a better job the week before.

Last edited by twitch; 10-17-2013 at 03:08 PM.
10-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #1556
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
AF-C
AF-C on the K-5, probably elsewhere, takes practice. .

I've also had a poor run with K-5 AF-C, but don't use it enough, so I am no expert on it's usage. However I think using single centre-point AF with AF.C is not the optimal choice for AF.C mode.

Ron would be able to offer more expert advice on the issue of K-5 AF.C. He must have it figured out by now.
10-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #1557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I use AF-C I usually do it with the auto 5 point pattern. Still can be hit and miss depending on what you are shooting and how much contrast there is but I have found it better than AF-S for shooting a mountain bike race for example (riders coming at me most of the time).
10-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #1558
Veteran Member

I would be very interested in Ron's advice, I'm ready to chuck in the towel on this camera as a sports camera. It's been fantastic as a travel and general purpose camera, but for the sports situations and shots I want, it simply can't cut it (with my current technique anyway).

For context, I was using center point only (and rear button focus), as I wanted to get a shot of 5 or 6 runners in the frame, but put the center point over my daughter to keep her in focus. I suspect either AF-C was usless to track focus, or more likely it seemed to just grab the trees in the background, or another runner in the background. This was her first ever 200m race and she also happened to win. Hard to explain this to my wife afterwards who couldn't be there that I don't have a photo to show her.

Last edited by twitch; 10-17-2013 at 03:40 PM.
10-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #1559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
When I use AF-C I usually do it with the auto 5 point pattern. Still can be hit and miss depending on what you are shooting and how much contrast there is but I have found it better than AF-S for shooting a mountain bike race for example (riders coming at me most of the time).
Thanks Matt, I think I'll give that a go this weekend. I've had a bit of success with a 55-300 in the past so I might use that instead of my 50-135. Seems a shame as the 50-135 has terrific IQ, but no point in great IQ if your subject isn't in focus.
10-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #1560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have tried AF-C center, on occasion, had some keepers. Can`t wait to hear how the K3 performs.