Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #1576
Veteran Member

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I though I'd come back and share my experiences from last weekend. I changed from 50-135 + center point to 55-300 and Auto-5 still on AF-C. This resulted in a keeper rate of about ~40%, much better than previously but still room for improvement.

10-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #1577
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I have done a short series of video containing a preview, interviews, gamefootage, sportsimages and commentary. Video with the K-01 and sportsomages with the K-5.

BeNe League: PSV/FC Eindhoven - Standard de Ličge - YouTube
Really good quality from the K-01. I'm impressed by the quality you get from that camera. I assume you used an external mic for audio?
10-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #1578
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
That first one deserves being printed big! A true warrior feel, almost cinematic.
Thank you very much VisualDarkness!
10-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #1579
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
You need subtitles.
Well in my next video there will be subtitles for one part, but that will be dutch subtitles because I interviewed one player that is native French from Brusseles.

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Really good quality from the K-01. I'm impressed by the quality you get from that camera. I assume you used an external mic for audio?
I use a Rode stereo video mic.

10-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #1580

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Thanks for everyones suggestions. I though I'd come back and share my experiences from last weekend. I changed from 50-135 + center point to 55-300 and Auto-5 still on AF-C. This resulted in a keeper rate of about ~40%, much better than previously but still room for improvement.
I find that it's a bit hit and miss with the AF System in the K-5. Firstly, the lenses aren't the fastest (screw drive much better than SDM) and secondly the size of AF focus points is just too big. It's very easy to drift off the main subject and then the AF will wander off.
I set the back button to AF and only ever use the centre AF point in FPS Priority. The AF-C definitely cannot keep up with the FPS the camera is capable of or when people are sprinting towards you (I know that as I also got a Nikon D7000 with a 70-200mm f/2.8 and that combo can). Practise will definitely help. Or activate Focus Priority initially? It was a steep learning curve for me I have to admit. For anything "moving" these days I try to use the "yellow one" though ....
10-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #1581
Veteran Member

I had a realisation. Someone earlier suggested moving the focus point during a continuous burst to track the subject, however that is basically impossible with back button focus as my thumb is jammed onto the AF button and my index finger on the shutter.

Do others move focus points around during a burst? Is this then a disadvantage of back button focus?
10-23-2013, 04:26 AM   #1582

Moving the AF point during AF-C shooting? I can clearly admit that I am not coordinated enough to use my thumb blindly to change the AF point whilst keeping the motive in the correct place within the frame and focus at the same time with my index finger (whilst zooming). I try and keep it simple. Centre point or maximum of 5 and AF on the back. If the AF-C fails it sometimes helps to switch to AF-S and refocus every single time. With the Sigma you also have to option of "Focus Trap" which you could set for the finishing line for example?

10-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #1583
Veteran Member

I had such a frustrating time photographing my daughter at athletics last weekend. Using the K-5 with a 50-135, AF-C and single center AF point was just not good enough to be able to get a single in focus shot of her in her 200m race The AF grabbed the background, or a following runner, for the entire 15 shot burst.

The K-3 had better solve this problem. If a DSLR can’t do AF-C properly then what is the point of them. Even my RX100 did a better job the week before.
This happens all the time with me and moving objects with the K5. Whether it's a dance show or boat racing, the 50-135 has problems keeping up, AND the K5 AF system sucks in the first place. That's because the center point is as big as a frickin' house and contrast EASILY disrupts the meter.

The K3 is too little too late for me. I've already jumped ship.

I hope it improves on the situation for you.
10-25-2013, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #1584
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nail in the Coffin

This is pretty bad in technical terms (I'm such a butcher with PP) but it's perhaps the best sport shot I've taken in terms of capturing the moment. It's midway in the second half and the opposing team (in blue) has made a valiant effort to rally They were attacking our defense but they ran into Tymani and she stuffs it (again.) She steals the ball and bats it to a team-mate. It's over. They know it.

Last edited by dadipentak; 10-25-2013 at 06:43 PM.
10-27-2013, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #1585

K5 + Da 55-300

Took some pictures at the beach today. TAV is really useful for this kind of shots...

Air 360 por Luís_Alves, no Flickr

In the midle of an ARS por Luís_Alves, no Flickr

Backflip por Luís_Alves, no Flickr
10-28-2013, 12:45 AM - 2 Likes   #1586
Forum Member

I was shooting more of the non conventional / silly sports with the DA*300 yesterday.

More in the full set: Romuralli HML 27.10.2013 - a set on Flickr
10-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #1587
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do others move focus points around during a burst? Is this then a disadvantage of back button focus?
Not during the burst, but just before the runners get close enough, I change the focus point to whichever of the 4 corners will put the athlete I'm tracking in the right place in the frame. For that matter I don't shoot an actual burst anyway - I shoot about 1-3 photos (usually 1 or 2) of a runner that I think I got well framed with the runner in focus. Because my photos normally post immediately to the web, I can't afford to take more anyway, and I don't want to deal with more either. But bursting may be a better idea for most other shooters.

Typically I keep the same focus point for the next 10 or more runners I shoot, but then I may change for a different composition. So usually I'm going for the traditional shot of a single runner running in to the empty space of the frame. But sometimes I see something else I like, such as a runner leading a group, and I may position him heading out of the frame with the others following. This gives the illusion of him "winning," even though he may only be leading a small pack that's really in 50th place or something.

Here are my shots from this weekend, at the world's largest cross country meet. I was also producing live streaming video from 2 remote locations on the course, so I was mostly concentrating on that. I've noticed this causes the quality of my photos to suffer, since there are many factors to consider when composing a sports photo. Nevertheless, I got photos from the key races, plus a few others. This time I threw out up to 20% of All Photos, and if you look at that gallery perhaps a few more should go. But it's still achievable to have the majority of your photos come out usable.

Highlights - RaceTime Photos

This one is Sarah Baxter, the fastest girl in the nation.

Last edited by DSims; 10-28-2013 at 11:37 AM.
10-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #1588
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jiimaa Quote
silly sports with the DA*300 yesterday.
Nice set--next to last is my fave!
11-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #1589
Banned

Original Poster
I haven't posted for long here, but am currently looking into images I made this month. Womens soccer in the German Bundesliga Frauen. A game between Duisburg (in green) and Cloppenburg.

11-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #1590
Site Supporter

Ron……great photo.

Soccer…..or rugby?

R