Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #1726
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Alerting everyone that Ron has started a new "Sports Photography" thread which is open to all Pentax bodies.

12-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #1727
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Defensive Header Sequence

Going through some old K-5 sports shots. Here's a mighty header by Jérome Polenz (Jérome Polenz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) as he defends against a corner kick in an A-League (Australia's premier soccer league) match between the Brisbane Roar (orange jerseys) & the Western Sydney Wanderers (striped jerseys) at Suncorp Stadium, Milton, Brisbane on 13th January 2013.

K-5 & Sigma 70-200/F2.8 II @ 200mm FL, 1/640s, f/4, ISO400. Most stadiums have a maximum lens FL restriction of 200mm. This restriction, and not be able to be close to the edge of the field, means heavy cropping which makes it difficult to get sharp detail, particularly on the far side of the field. This was a late-afternoon match and the stadium was fully in shadow when these shots were taken. Also, the spectators in the background were the focus subject in most of the shots so I've had to correct for this and for the ball motion-blur due to the relatively slow 1/640s shutter speed, using FocusMagic & masking.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 12-05-2014 at 05:34 PM.
12-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #1728
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by florinlib Quote
The last event I shoot, women handball, k5II with DA*200, more on flickr...
florinlib - nice detail and lighting here in your shots. Surprised, good job with the DA*200.

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 06:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
We had our spring football game this week. It's a chance to shoot from different angles since I can shoot from the field and not just the sideline.
GvilleRick- Well done on getting so much detail and vivid colours for the football shots.

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 07:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
A few from an international meeting today. All shot with the original k5 and the DA 4/60-250

Here is Louis Castro from Puerto Rico who achieved a new national record with 2.26 m.

... and this is Martyn Bernhardt from Great Britain
volley - very nice shots as well. Nice use of the DxO velvia pack, I didn't know it turned out so well for digital.

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 07:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jppp Quote
A bit quiet here, so I'll step in.
Our team started the Finnish U19 championship well, but lately we've been struggling a bit. With just one game left in the season, we're now 4th and it all comes down to the last round on saturday when four teams decide the top four positions. We are in the contest for places between 2nd and 4th.
Unlike several previous seasons, I've not been travelling with the team around the country, but only been shooting the home matches - and a couple of the latest away matches as well. I still use the K-5 with the Tamron 70-200 f2.8, but the combo's mileage is starting to show a bit. It once took a direct hit from the ball during one match etc. and I think there might be something a bit wrong with the lens. Certainly a lot of dust and crap inside it.

Anyhoow, here are a couple of shots since the previous ones:

My son scoring an equalizer in the local derby, which we ultimately lost.

This guy is just phenomenal with the ball - and we won this game.

No goals in this match, and mainly the other team's goalie (also in the picture) managed to piss our players off so bad, one of them was thrown out. So, this one shot gives a pretty good idea of the match.

A difficult match against a team, who are the main candidates for the championship. This match was a 1-1 tie and this guy has just scored the equalizer for us.

In this match we were lucky because the other guys were better. However, we managed a 3-1 win and I've managed to get better and better goal celebration pictures lately.

Another 0-2 win for us and pretty darn difficult to shoot this match. The sun was quite low and the background was a very dark forest.

Another derby and another defeat. Nuff said.

The first match for my son (airbourne) for more than 3 months after having torn two ligaments off the bone in a match in June. Wrong jerseys, neither of the coaches could make it to the game, and another defeat for us. And goodbye to the championship at the same time.

And the latest match which we won for a change. This guy managed to shrugg the other guy off of himself, took a couple of steps and shot the ball into the net. The first, liberating goal of the match after which the other team didn't stand a chance. The final score 6-1.

WARNING! The following image was shot with a non-Pentax!!!

Sony NEX-6 + Sigma 60mm f2.8. I just thought it would be nice to show the starting line-up of the second-to-last match in the championship. Surprisingly there are only 2 guys born in 1995 in the picture, who will end their junior career this week. My son's age group has evaporated during the season for various reasons: injuries, military service, some have quit, etc.

So, only one match left and it's going to be played in a football hall with a terrible lighting system. I'll be there, but I predict that the pictures will be bad.
This will also mark my retirement from junior football. My son will probably take his chances and wants to see, where his skills can get him with this sport. Who knows, maybe I'll have more to show in the future. But will the pictures be shot with a K-5 or even a Pentax? Remains to be seen.
jppp - Great details, even if your Tamron is biting the dust. Your son has quite the vertical leap!
12-06-2014, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #1729

Thanks richardwong for your comments! The season ended a while back and our guys got the bronze medals this time. And that's it for the junior football. Now my son tries to find his place in some of the men's teams, possibly even in the first team of the same club who unfortunately qualified last in the highest level and have to try their luck on a lower level series next year.

A couple of shots from the last game which was played inside a "bubble".

The 2nd coach

And another non-Pentax shot (Sony NEX-6):

The hard-earned bronze medals which seemed to be well excepted by the players. I guess you just can't be the champions every year.

Edit: And (a note to richardwong ) I've even got some relatives in Vancouver.

Last edited by jppp; 12-07-2014 at 02:29 AM.
12-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #1730
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couple of shots from this weekend's dance competition. K5iis and Tamron 28-75. f3.5 1/400 ISO1600 and 2000

12-30-2014, 10:46 PM - 2 Likes   #1731
Pentaxian

Last month I took photos at an interprovincial track and field athletics event, using my Pentax K 5II and two primes - my Pentax F 50mm f/1.7 and my Pentax smc FA f/4.5 300mm.

Here are three of the many shots I took - the rest can be viewed here.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by Neville; 12-30-2014 at 10:52 PM.
12-30-2014, 11:17 PM   #1732
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote
Last month I took photos at an interprovincial track and field athletics event, using my Pentax K 5II and two primes - my Pentax F 50mm f/1.7 and my Pentax smc FA f/4.5 300mm.

Here are three of the many shots I took - the rest can be viewed here.
Very nice!

What is the purpose of the tape on the front of the runner's feet? What does it do for them? And is there a reason it's primarily on the white athletes (e.g. perhaps cultural, physiological, or due to the trainers)?

12-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #1733
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Very nice!

What is the purpose of the tape on the front of the runner's feet? What does it do for them? And is there a reason it's primarily on the white athletes (e.g. perhaps cultural, physiological, or due to the trainers)?
Many of the barefeet runners put tape on their feet due to the heat of the track, and I suppose it does give them a measure of comfort as the track is quite rough underfoot.

It's not restricted to the white runners - I've seen many black runners use the tape as well.
12-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #1734
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote
Many of the barefeet runners put tape on their feet due to the heat of the track, and I suppose it does give them a measure of comfort as the track is quite rough underfoot.

It's not restricted to the white runners - I've seen many black runners use the tape as well.
I went through at least half of your photos and I only notice one black athlete (a jumper) wearing the tape so far - that's what made me curious. I never thought of the heat (guess I'll have to visit there someday) - that makes sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the black athletes feel the heat a little less - or perhaps they're just more used to it. Anyhow, thanks for the explanation. I found it interesting, because no one in California ever goes barefoot on the track. I'm surprised - I didn't know it was that common, even though I'm aware that some Olympic athletes from SA have gone barefoot.
06-10-2016, 11:47 PM   #1735
Pentaxian

The Relay Runner

These two raw back-lit shots from 2013 were taken on a red tartan track. No matter how I tried I could not achieve a satisfactory WB in PP. So I've decided to give them the B&W treatment with a pseudo-HDR look in Silkypix Developer Studio Pro 6 + PSP X7 with the FocusMagic & Topaz Labs Detail 3 plugins.

K-5 + DA* 60-250/F4 @ 80mm FL, 1/1000s, f/6.3, ISO160.

Normally, I prefer to shoot from the front and with the sun behind me, but here I was limited in where I could stand. I think I prefer the stance in the 2nd shot, taken either 4 or 6 paces after the 1st shot.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 06-11-2016 at 01:59 PM.
10-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #1736
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
The K-5 would be much better in the rain!

I've never kept my finger on the button for 3 seconds and I shoot a lot of sport.
Hi my name is Monty, i have a k5 looking to shoot youth football. What is the best camera for sports between the k5 and k3?
10-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #1737
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PHOTOCOP Quote
Hi my name is Monty, i have a k5 looking to shoot youth football. What is the best camera for sports between the k5 and k3?
The K-3, Photocop.

11-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #1738
Forum Member

Thanks Clackers. do you shoot youth sports?
11-09-2016, 12:49 AM   #1739
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have shot *adults* doing American and Australian football, cricketers, cyclists and runners. :-)
11-17-2016, 12:32 AM   #1740

Hello!

I have a few shots from the last Rally RACC Catalunya (2016). All three have been taken with a Pentax K-5 and a PENTAX-DA* 60-250mm