Nice shots TheSkier !
+1

the first and last one are very good.

08-22-2011, 04:46 AM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
+1

the first and last one are very good.
+2 - Especially the first shot, that is great The Skier !
08-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #198
Forum Member

dijkx,

Great pics of Mark Cavendish. How long did you need to wait at the finish line to get those? That looks to be where the first two are anyway. Did you see many stages or just the one, and at which stage(s) are the pics from? Some day I will travel to France and follow the tour (a man has to dream). Looks like a complete gas. By then I will be watching it live on my iPad and watch them live in the flesh when they pass by
08-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #199

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi images for you,

The shots where not taken at the tour de france but a few days later in Holland. The track was only a few kilometers long so every two or three minutes they passed the finishline a great opportunity to take pictures. At the tourde france the riders only pass by once.

08-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #200
Site Supporter

Here is one of mine from this last weekend. It was taken with the Sigma 50-500 and the K5. SS was 1/200 of a second.

I still need to work on fine tuning the auto focus with the Sigma. Even when I have it on my tripod and am shooting something that is standing still, it seems like it is a little fuzzy or maybe it is just my eyes.

Jim
08-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #201
Site Supporter

And here are a few more shots from the same weekend. This is the same camera and lens set up. The shutter speed was 1/2500 f/8 and probably ISO800.

Thanks
Jim
08-30-2011, 02:18 AM   #202
Veteran Member

Those are some excellent shots Jim but maybe even for panning 1/200 is a little on the slow side ? Gotta keep those wheels moving though.

For the two riders it definitely looks as if the AF is too slow and has focused behind the first rider (in both shots - clearly in the 2nd one) - maybe MF would be better, prefocus on the place you want to catch them and then shotgun them as they come around !
08-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #203
Site Supporter

Thanks Frogfish for the suggestions. The panning I am wanting to get to about 1 second long. I'm not sure if I will make it or not. I am easily getting 1/500 of a second without much trouble. My ultimate goal is to get it to where the rider and bike is in focus but the tires are blurred by motion. I'm not sure how slow of a shutter that is going to take.

Could you explain what you are talking about shotgunning it. Last year I did use the catch in focus on the K20D of mine. But the longest Pentax lens I have is the DA*300. Which to me isn't quite long enough. I sure wish they would come out with a Pentax lens that would go to 500mm that could be used. Or make it to where non Pentax lenses could be used in catch in focus mode.

Thanks
Jim

08-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Thanks Frogfish for the suggestions. The panning I am wanting to get to about 1 second long. I'm not sure if I will make it or not. I am easily getting 1/500 of a second without much trouble. My ultimate goal is to get it to where the rider and bike is in focus but the tires are blurred by motion. I'm not sure how slow of a shutter that is going to take.

Could you explain what you are talking about shotgunning it. Last year I did use the catch in focus on the K20D of mine. But the longest Pentax lens I have is the DA*300. Which to me isn't quite long enough. I sure wish they would come out with a Pentax lens that would go to 500mm that could be used. Or make it to where non Pentax lenses could be used in catch in focus mode.

Thanks
Jim
You can use non-Pentax lenses for CIF (of course they are MF though) if it doesn't work off the bat then it will if you short the right contacts (plenty of people on here know which contact - I've never had a need to) or you could search through the forum to find the right thread (it's been mentioned umpteen times). I've plenty of MF lenses that work fine with CIF - however for sport I think even CIF is too slow (by the time it decides the subject is in focus). Select CIF ON in the menu and AF-S and away you go !

Shotgunning or machine gunning - means just holding down the shutter button and firing away as fast as the camera can go ! If you have manually focused on the correct spot then you will have shots in focus !
08-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #205
Site Supporter

Thanks Frogfish, I will try the MF thing first. I just don't feel comfortable fileing down contacts on a lens like the Sigma 50-500.

Thanks
Jim
08-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Thanks Frogfish, I will try the MF thing first. I just don't feel comfortable fileing down contacts on a lens like the Sigma 50-500.

Thanks
Jim
Or just use a piece of silver paper instead
08-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #207
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Or just use a piece of silver paper instead
I like that idea a lot better. It will be sweet if I can use the Bigma like that.

Jim
08-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #208
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Went to womens soccer yesterday. It was the game BeNe Supercup between the last seizons champions of the Netherlands (FC-Twente in Red) and the champion from Belgium (Standard Fémina de Liège). This was a first one between the two different competitions, but there are talks to put both countries together to start a (semi)professional league next year.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

I only had K-5 with DA*60-250mm with me and no monopod. Sitting on tribune to watch the game, but at that stadium you can get real close to the field. Second half there was only light from staiumlights because it was dark outside.

Standard won with 4-1.
08-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #209
Site Supporter

I was walking on the beach in Portugal, with my K5 and 100mm WR macro. Snapped these so easily with the K5 on TAv, set 1000/s with f8 and let the camera take care of ISO.

09-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #210
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The only score that Dutch team FC Twente made in de BeNe Supercup against Standard Fémina de Liège in the game they lost 4-1. It was in the second half and light was poor. On the otherside of the field, so a good 100 meters away. With DA*60-250mm at 250mm, f4 and iso 5000.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)