Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #271
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Original Poster
I use since a short while Ligthroom 3 and I think that noise reduction in that proagram is excellent.

You need to get your white balance in order, but your light is far from good in that venue. Using 1/250th is on the edge for getting descent shots in sports.

11-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #272
Veteran Member
MrPetkus's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 388
Hi Bruce,
I don't know what settings you're using but I use the K5 for extreme low light, fast moving dance photography. I shoot manual - when the action is very fast, try these settings (hardly gospel, based on my own experience and personal preference):
- AF.C focus
- AF.C setting Focus-priority (Menu C3-16)
- Auto AF - either 11 or 5 points depending on how spread out the action is
- Continuous shooting (Hi)
- Lowest ISO possible with shutter a min of 2x focal length when tracking and 2.5-3x when not tracking. So for fast action at 50mm, I like the shutter to be at 1/180 if possible.
- I will typically underexpose in order to get the ISO and shutter speed I want - I don't like or trust Pentax metering - and selectively boost exposure in post (lighten a person but not the background - especially for a dark stage - like Viveza or LR brush or PS dodge)
- I don't like noise reduction, preferring grain over smooth (except for color noise - use LR for that)

While the K5 does not have as capable an AF system as either the d300s or d700, I find it to be good enough. My only gripe would be the buffer, which needs to be bigger.
I can post some samples if there is interest.

Cheers

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Quote
Hi Ron, your images are pretty sharp for the light (it looks like pretty low grade lighting). Do you use a noise reduction plug-in or program? If so, which one/s? I tried the TAv setting on the K5 with an ISO range 80-6400 (I think their your suggested settings?) for the first time tonight at a local Basket Ball game (tricky lighting), but very happy with the results although I admit to using Neatimage in post processing. All the shots were 1/250, f2.8 and 6400 ISO (or there abouts). I used a Sigma 70-200 and have used that lens on a KM at the same venue in the past, but was never able to come close to this.
11-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #273
Veteran Member
MrPetkus's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 388
BTW - you take excellent sports pics, Ron. Good exposure and facial expressions. Do you shoot for newspaper way over there?
11-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #274
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
BTW - you take excellent sports pics, Ron. Good exposure and facial expressions. Do you shoot for newspaper way over there?
I have some publications, but still limited. I'm busy with becoming a good allround sportsphotographer, specialized in womens sports. Who knows where the future is, maybe even with the 2016 Olympics

11-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #275
Veteran Member
Bruce's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 448
Ron, thanks for that, trying to get the WB right, but having a lot of trouble overcoming the yellowing from the reflected light off the floor. Ended up using a 50% blue filter in post just to get to these levels. I just threw these together to get comment about noise reduction so will be going back to my workflow to try and correct the balance in ACR. My Sons play down there so it would be good to get the settings right for future shoots. Oh, and I tried setting a custom white balance in-camera to give myself a head start for processing, but failed miserably! And yes, I agree 1/250 is living on the edge!

Thanks Petkus, I use AFC for shooting football games, have not tried it for Basket Ball, but will give it a shot (pun intended). I did dial in a +EV which drove up the ISO, perhaps I could dial in a -EV and boost light in post? That way I could increase either/both shutter speed (1/400 to 1/500 would be nice) and Aperture (I would like f4 if I can get it)!
11-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #276
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Quote
Ron, thanks for that, trying to get the WB right, but having a lot of trouble overcoming the yellowing from the reflected light off the floor. Ended up using a 50% blue filter in post just to get to these levels. I just threw these together to get comment about noise reduction so will be going back to my workflow to try and correct the balance in ACR. My Sons play down there so it would be good to get the settings right for future shoots. Oh, and I tried setting a custom white balance in-camera to give myself a head start for processing, but failed miserably!
Well I use Expo Disc, but there are more options, but it works fine for me:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/140425-expodisc-whitebalance-k-5-a.html
11-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #277
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30
Racing At Night On K5

I took a series of photos at Perris, CA Nov. 5. It was at night under the lights. I was using my K5 with an SMC F 70-210 lens.
Richard Vanderweerd/ Brady Bacon Perris Flip - Racing Information Service News
11-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #278
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,913
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I went to watch the game in the Dutch Eredivisie Soccer for women between VVV (in Yellow) and ADO Den Haag. The light wasn't to good, and most shots with iso 6400 and even that was a bit low.

1) Sigma 70-200mm


2) All others with DA*300mm


3)


4)


5)


ADO Den Haag won this game, 2 - 1 and is leader in the competition.
Hi Ron

I know of you passion for sports photography and I always look at your images you post here. You are good at it even though you don't admit it yourself. I don't do sports photos and at occasions when I do I tend to struggle, like you do from time to time, with the the quality of indoor or after dark sports illumination that some venues provide. Crazy colours in some of your shots is not a criticism of your skills but simply the result of the awful light some of the stadia provide. (Those awful vapor lights) And of course in-camera white balance settings struggle with this also, more or less.

So it is in this light (no pun) that when I look at your images I download those where bad lighting has been a problem and play around with them to see whether anything can be done about it. I have to tell you that I nearly always can. And it is not me but a program I use that will make it possible.

The program I use for this exclusively is "OLONEO PhotEngine ". I was a volunteer beta tester for OLONEO but I want to make it clear that I have no affiliation to the company. I just find this software easy to work with and very effective in correcting the sort of purple cast the girl in the white garb displays in your first picture.

OLONEO allows you to make changes in individual colour channels on the fly and to correct your image "as seen below" took only seconds. I would just like to share with you this ability to correct some of those tricky colour "misfits" with the least amount of pain.

Hope I haven't trotten on your toes.

Greetings and keep those sports pictures coming I always enjoy them.


Last edited by Schraubstock; 03-07-2012 at 09:38 PM.
11-13-2011, 06:54 AM   #279
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi Ron

I know of you passion for sports photography and I always look at your images you post here. You are good at it even though you don't admit it yourself. I don't do sports photos and at occasions when I do I tend to struggle, like you do from time to time, with the the quality of indoor or after dark sports illumination that some venues provide. Crazy colours in some of your shots is not a criticism of your skills but simply the result of the awful light some of the stadia provide. (Those awful vapor lights) And of course in-camera white balance settings struggle with this also, more or less.

So it is in this light (no pun) that when I look at your images I download those where bad lighting has been a problem and play around with them to see whether anything can be done about it. I have to tell you that I nearly always can. And it is not me but a program I use that will make it possible.

The program I use for this exclusively is "OLONEO PhotEngine ". I was a volunteer beta tester for OLONEO but I want to make it clear that I have no affiliation to the company. I just find this software easy to work with and very effective in correcting the sort of purple cast the girl in the white garb displays in your first picture.

OLONEO allows you to make changes in individual colour channels on the fly and to correct your image "as seen below" took only seconds. I would just like to share with you this ability to correct some of those tricky colour "misfits" with the least amount of pain.

Hope I haven't trotten on your toes.

Greetings and keep those sports pictures coming I always enjoy them.
Wow thanks, that does look a lot better. That first picture was from different camera/lens combo then the others and I did some missings in the settings with that. Never heard of OLONEO before, so I will give it a good look coming week.

I'm almost never feal that someone is stamping on my toes, so not to worry about that.
11-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #280
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,913
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I'm almost never feal that someone is stamping on my toes, so not to worry about that.
Ron,
Thanks for that, some people can be a bit touchy at occasions.

Greetings
11-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #281
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 298
time for a few more pics

A few pictures from a collegiate swim meet. I really like the K-5's ability to get high-speed shots indoors.







11-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #282
Site Supporter
andre-mz5's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eindhoven
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 268
Looks as if you had plenty of light in that swimming pool dave.
Her a couple of of shots I took at a swim meet in april at ISO 6400 and higher







11-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #283
Site Supporter
andre-mz5's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eindhoven
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 268
The indoor season is under way so it's time for some indoor sports.
I went to a handbal match a couple of weeks ago and here are some shots. The boys in this match are in the age of 15-17.







11-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #284
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
A few pictures from a collegiate swim meet. I really like the K-5's ability to get high-speed shots indoors.
Wow I love your number 3 shot!

Great shots Andre, but I've seen them on an other forum.
11-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #285
Pentaxian
volley's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,387
First time I took my new K5 (with the DA 4/60-250) out to a Rugby match - and the first time I ever was at a Rugby match at all








Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bigma, buffer, camera, championship, da*200, detail, dslr, football, football game, frames, game, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, match, pentax k-5, post, shots, soccer, softball, son
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The danger of sports photography mindglow General Talk 10 12-22-2009 06:50 PM
Sports photography help Mann Photographic Technique 36 06-23-2009 12:49 AM
Help with sports/action photography monochrome Pentax DSLR Discussion 31 11-02-2008 03:49 PM
Amateur sports photography...on a Pentax? pixelpruner Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 07-13-2008 05:40 PM
Indoor sports photography how to? sglj3 Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 04-24-2008 11:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top