Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #286

Photos: Gallery
Shot some ice hockey (U18) today which I've never done before. Something completely different: bad lighting, must shoot through the stained and beaten plexi glass, black outfits and white ice + dasherboards... somewhat of a challenge, but I think I'll have to look into this more. All pics shot with K-5 + Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 (wide open).

11-20-2011, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #287
Banned

Original Poster
Soccer in the fog!

Today I went to a soccergame between our national team 19- years against the team of France. Foggy day, so there wasn't to much to do with long lenses. The goalkeeper gets important, since she is the only one that isn't under the gray wet blanket. Endscore 2-2.

1)

2) De keepster van de Fransen.

3)

4)

5)

Just a little looking for a way to present and I like the old style black/white pictures that just could find their way into an old news paper.

There is more here to find.
11-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ron.
These are fantastic.
11-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #289

Great shots!!!! Which lens did you use on these?

11-21-2011, 03:06 AM   #290
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe42066 Quote
Great shots!!!! Which lens did you use on these?
#1 with FA*85mm and the others with Sigma 70-200mm/f2.8 EX DG OS HSM. I also used DA*300mm, but that didn't work out very well.
11-21-2011, 03:28 AM   #291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You got a couple of nice rugby shots Norbert, keep them coming.

@jppp : for a first time at the boards of such a fast sport you managed to get some goodies. Sports photography is just like playing a sport : practice make perfect.
11-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #292

QuoteOriginally posted by andre-mz5 Quote
@jppp : for a first time at the boards of such a fast sport you managed to get some goodies. Sports photography is just like playing a sport : practice make perfect.
Thanks Andre!
It may seem kinda weird that I've never shot hockey before though it's the biggest team sport here. Some pretty big names have played in the same rink wearing the same black shirt as these guys yesterday. It's just that I first took camera with me to take pictures of my son's team play football (I don't use the s-word...) and it's kept me busy until now. Maybe it's time to branch out and try other sports as well
But it's quite different. The plexi seems to suck out light and smooth the optics, and the shining white background sure don't make it easy to find the proper settings. Like you said, I just need loads of practice. I guess I must find out how to get to shoot the big boys' games on the main arena.

About the gear: As I said, I had trouble finding the settings on the K-5, and I had several occasions when the camera didn't fire at all, no matter how I pressed the shutter button (probably because it just couldn't find focus). Otherwise the Tamron worked just fine. However, maybe the minimum of 70 mm is too long. I would have liked to get more stuff in the frame in certain situations.
But now I've tried it and next time I'm a bit wiser - I guess...

11-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #293
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@jppp : since the lighting conditins in an indoor sport arena don't vary that much you could also take some test shots before the game and then use the speed, diafragma and ISO settings in the M-mode. Same goes for white balance.
I have never shot an ice hockey game so have no experience with it and thus no tips for you. I don't know if it's an option to get ahigher standpoint and shoot over the plexi glas.
11-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #294
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jppp Quote
However, maybe the minimum of 70 mm is too long. I would have liked to get more stuff in the frame in certain situations.
But now I've tried it and next time I'm a bit wiser - I guess...
I like some of your shots - it seems a shame though that the white hoarding around the rink cuts through all the players at shoulder height. I guess it has to be that way so those sitting near the front can see, but is there anyway you can get a bit higher so that the hoarding appears the same height as the players, so you don't get that line through them? It would certainly make them stand out more too - might as well use it to your advantage. If 70mm was too long at times, perhaps you could make it the right length by going a few rows back, and at the same time gaining some height?
11-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #295

Two problems with leg zoom and shooting height: to prevent reflections and stains from showing, the lens hood has to be quite close the glass, and when the plexi ends the net begins above it, at least at some rinks. The main problem with my pictures is complete lack of experience of the conditions, and ending up with completely wrong settings. Actually the pics are awful, but I'll leave them here for educational reasons ;d Having seen some excellent pictures today by good photographers, I'm humbled and feel almost humiliated. However, I will come back with better ones!
Shooting at the corners from behind the glass allows the best angles at the near-goal action with a 70-200 lens. And I've just seen some awesome fisheye shots at the corners with some fierce faces.
This is now officially my new project. I hope I can crack the secrets quickly.
11-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #296
Banned

Original Poster
Two problems with leg zoom and shooting height: to prevent reflections and stains from showing, the lens hood has to be quite close the glass, and when the plexi ends the net begins above it, at least at some rinks. The main problem with my pictures is complete lack of experience of the conditions, and ending up with completely wrong settings. Actually the pics are awful, but I'll leave them here for educational reasons ;d Having seen some excellent pictures today by good photographers, I'm humbled and feel almost humiliated. However, I will come back with better ones!
Shooting at the corners from behind the glass allows the best angles at the near-goal action with a 70-200 lens. And I've just seen some awesome fisheye shots at the corners with some fierce faces.
This is now officially my new project. I hope I can crack the secrets quickly.
In the icestadium overhere they have some tables where you can stand on looking over the plexiglass. But very good at this sport I'm not. Only been there once.
11-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #297

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
In the icestadium overhere they have some tables where you can stand on looking over the plexiglass. But very good at this sport I'm not. Only been there once.
I wouldn't dare to risk my health blocking the view of the fans behind... and I don't remember seeing that anywhere here. I'll make further investigations.
11-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #298
Banned

Original Poster
I wouldn't dare to risk my health blocking the view of the fans behind... and I don't remember seeing that anywhere here. I'll make further investigations.
The sport is smaller here, so the table's where in the corners where there is no seating behind for spectators.
11-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #299

Hi all,

Quite new to the site. Sports photography has been something that I would like to spend more time on. Living in a foreign country where I don't know the language fully yet, complicates it when taking the gear into stadiums. I shot these pics below when home on vacation in Sweden though. The K-5 is more than capable. It's more the lens that sets the limitations for me so far (Would like a faster lens, so I can decrease the depth of field a bit, as well as shooting on lower ISO).

I prefer football to hockey though, as I have much more knowledge about the sport.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
11-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #300
Banned

Original Poster
I went to the Dutch Championship Taekwondo to take pictures and a portrait of one of the participants. She got her title in junior category: