Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #346

Photos: Gallery
I managed to drag my butt to a local ice hall to shoot another match of U17 hockey. This time my settings were a tad better, but no master pieces yet were found. K5 with Tamron 70-200 wide open, ISO around 1600 and F around 1/800. This time I also shot over the plexi glass which made things a bit easier.

And one with K7 + Samyang 8mm fisheye:

Still in need of loads of more practice.

Last edited by jppp; 12-10-2011 at 12:54 PM.
12-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #347
Pentaxian

#1 and 4 are great shots.

#5 with the hit is good, only problem is the other player in the way.

It is hard to capture the emotion of the game when the players have their faces concealed. #2 a few milliseconds later when the player behind the net registers celebration of the goal would be neat. Same with #4 with the deflation and celebration after the goal.

I love hockey and your photos made me want to be there.
12-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #348

#2 didn't actually even result a goal ;D but the black 17 missed the puck which passed the post by mere millimeters.
Here's some mild celebration after the #4:

The match ended 9-1 for the black team, so they weren't too overly exited at that point any more...

One more:

No goal but a penalty for the white 29.

Last edited by jppp; 12-10-2011 at 03:00 PM.
12-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #349
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jppp Quote
Still in need of loads of more practice.
Nice set of pictures and yes practice will make you better.

12-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #350
Pentaxian

If the goal is to convey the feeling of the game, you did it brilliantly. The initial impression I got was a one sided contest.

Your last shot is great.
12-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #351
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FE shot is nice.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-11-2011 at 06:46 AM.
12-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #352

Thanks guys!

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
If the goal is to convey the feeling of the game, you did it brilliantly. The initial impression I got was a one sided contest.
I'm quite biased so even if the result had been the other way around, I might have conveyed it like this anyway
This was only my 2nd attempt to shoot hockey and because of my fixation of absolute sharpness and frozen motion I've still got a long road ahead of me. However, I feel that I've now got the basic idea of how to shoot hockey in the first place.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
The FE shot is is nice.
When I took the first closer look into the FE shots the initial reaction was "What the hell happened!". I had the same settings in the K7 as in the K5 (except A 3.5), and there was a substancial difference in the ISO performance.
12-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Yes, I'm hoping this will be very useful when soccer season starts.

Did you fill the buffer at any times? Probably less of a problem in cricket, where you are reasonably certain of when something will occur, whereas there's less certainty about exactly when a soccer player will kick.

Dan.
G'day Dan.

Nope I didn't fill the buffer with these shots. As this was not a vitally important game or photo session, I used downsized JPEGs straight from camera, rather than shooting in raw. I only shoot around 3 - 5 shots per ball anyway, so even raw wouldnt have been a problem.

You are correct, cricket is relatively easy to photograph, as the play takes place in a fairly small area, at a pre-determined point in time (when the ball hits the bat for example) All one needs is some experience with the timing and the ability to bracket the shots. I did'nt use a tripod on this occasion, all shots were handheld, but I find a tripod to be of great valu, as all I have to do is pre-focus on there the batsman will stand and wait for the action to arrive.

I'm sure soccer is far more unpredictable, I have taken many shots of aussie rules games on these large grounds as well, much harder to shoot that cricket, there is no way of knowing where the action will take place, or even what will happen next.

12-11-2011, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #354
Pentaxian

My new K5 is locked away ...

... until Christmas. I bought my K5 without asking my wife, now she locked it away as my Christmas present
... I love her!!

Well, in the meantime here are a few shots I took with my "ist DL2", for sure not considered the greatest camera for sport photography, but who cares!?!

Taken with a fully manual Tokina AT-X 2.8/80-200 zoom.

Last edited by volley; 12-11-2011 at 06:08 AM. Reason: typo
12-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #355
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jppp Quote
"What the hell happened!". I had the same settings in the K7 as in the K5
I think the K7 meters better when there is lot of white or red in the scene.
12-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #356
Veteran Member

Dan,

Some shots from the Waratah Bowl last weekend. It was a 4pm start on a ground that is nestled in a valley so light started to be a bit of a problem early in the game. Kept the shutter speed down to between 1000-1600 this froze the action,but as the light failed and the suburban football ground lights came on (and we know how good that lighting is!) the ISO shot up. Did a little bit of post work on some of the late shots to at least make them interesting as they were very noisy. I perservered with the Sigma 120-400 and was tempted to switch to the 70-200 for the extra stops of light, but resisted as I wanted to see how far I could push the comination of the 120-400 with the K5. I also used that little trick you suggested of dialing up -1 EV, worked a treat!

More in my Albums if your interested
12-18-2011, 02:41 AM   #357
Pentaxian

Bruce, I think the shots are moving in the right direction. Some comments:

1. You don't need 1/1250s for static stuff. At 400mm LF and with a 1.5x APS-C "crop factor", the rule of thumb for reasonably sharp static shots is:

Shutter Speed = 1 / (FL * CF) = 1/600s. This is hand-held, so if you're using a monopod, a tripod or SR, you can actually go lower with a static subject.

With the first shot above, the "two helmets and the trophy" shot, you used: 1/2000s, f/5.6, ISO400, 400mm FL. With this distance, FL & aperture it shows that there's not much DOF. Not that you need more DOF in this shot, but it is interesting to consider the narrow DOF effect on group action shots.

A high shutter speed is not needed for this shot. Even if you are unsupported (I use a tripod, but monopods are popular for sports) you could have used a 1/640s, f/5.6, ISO125 setting without SR or a conservative 1/320s, f/5.6, ISO125 with SR. But the photo isn't very sharp. It may just be too far away and cropped too much so there's not enough pixels left for a sharp shot or just too much for the lens, but stopping down to f/8 may help in conjunction with a lower ISO. (f/8-f/9.5 is the sweet spot for sharpness for many lenses on APS-C cameras.) So 1/640s, f/8, ISO250 unsupported without SR, or 1/320s, f/8, ISO250 as a conservative setting for the benefit of using SR.

I'd suggest using one of your 5 USER slots for static stuff at a game (lower shutter speed, lower ISO, SR) and another for your action shots (higher shutter, higher fixed ISO or ISO range limit, no SR). This way you can easily & quickly switch between the two setups.

2. Considering one of your Photobucket shots, IMGP3891.jpg, you used: 1/1250s, f/5.6, ISO250, 180mm FL.

Here are 4 comments on this photo (I'd be interested if anyone else agrees with me):
(a) There are a number of different near-horizontal lines in this shot, but the major one is the blue line and wall. I would level the shot on those (about 1.1 clockwise rotation). This seems to result in vertical fence poles too.
(b) I would crop closer
(c) Since you're using a K-5 and the ISO isn't excessive, I'd consider dodging the front of the player so his face is more distinct.
(d) I don't get a sensation of speed here. There's no dirt or dust thrown up. I think this is an instance where a little motion blur would actually help to convey a sense of speed.

Dan.
12-18-2011, 03:09 AM   #358
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I think photobucket shaved off some of the sharpness of your pictures Bruce. I very much like the yellow player at close range (one of the last shots) since I like working close up like that. Nice serie.

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
(a) There are a number of different near-horizontal lines in this shot, but the major one is the blue line and wall. I would level the shot on those (about 1.1 clockwise rotation). This seems to result in vertical fence poles too.
(b) I would crop closer
(c) Since you're using a K-5 and the ISO isn't excessive, I'd consider dodging the front of the player so his face is more distinct.
(d) I don't get a sensation of speed here. There's no dirt or dust thrown up. I think this is an instance where a little motion blur would actually help to convey a sense of speed.
a) I agree I would also choose that line.
b) I agree, but I would use a longer focal lenght to take the picture to get that result. But sometimes it doesn't work that way.
c) Well in this case I would keep one blue line in front of him, since it will give you the idea of where he is going.
d) I think this floor will give not much dirt to work with. For giving an idea off speed I would use 1/640, but not slower then that. Working with a faster shutterspeed is something I do to.

e) I would set the camera to +1/3th EV overexposure, since I like a little more detail in the players face.

But still very nce work. And every game should be different when photographing.
12-18-2011, 03:34 AM   #359
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
(e) I would set the camera to +1/3th EV overexposure, since I like a little more detail in the players face.
I think Bruce is shooting raw, so it doesn't really matter. His shot of the 2 helmets with the trophy with taken with -2 EVcomp, I presume because the reflection of the bright sky from the trophy was problematic.

Dan.
12-18-2011, 03:39 AM   #360
Veteran Member

Thanks Gents, had not even thought of rotation when cropping.

I have been setting up User slots for different situations and around lens types (indoor sports, outdoor sports, manual lenses etc), but had not thought about setting up static and action settings.

Thanks for the tips, more lessons yet to learn!