Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #376
Pentaxian

Great action shots. What caught my eye is how the black boy seemed to absorb all the light in the scene. Especially since the team is wearing black.

01-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #377
Pentaxian

I also think the shots themselves are great. Maybe you can optimize the white balance based on the white shirts. Overall on my screen the pictures seems very reddish (yes, i know there is actrually a lot of red in the scenes, but the skins also look somewhat unnatural to me).
01-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #378
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
WB is a little off I think. Nice shots, a little overexposure will bring out the "black player". Your number 1 is a great shot with the flat ball on the floor. Great work I think.
01-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #379
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rwfarnell, good shots.

If you shot raw, WB will be easy to adjust. If you shot JPEG, some raw programs allow you to open it as a virtual raw file and perform a relative WB adjustment. (You can't perform an absolute WB adjustment as the original embedded WB info is discaded when you use JPEG.)

I'd also suggest dodging (I do this in the SilkyPix Pro 4 raw converter) to make the darker players a bit brighter. I did this with some family shots of Sudanese friends, which I took on Saturday. I've tried this with your 4th photo, but there's not enough "left in the tank" with the JPEG version.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-15-2012 at 01:13 PM.
01-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #380

Thanks all,
I will have to work on that red hue. I did not notice it at first.
Rob
01-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #381
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I always carry an ExpoDisc with me these days and make a manual preset White Balance to work with.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/140425-expodisc-whitebalance-k-5-a.html
01-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #382
Site Supporter

I have used a K10D and K20D for sports photos in the past and have just upgraded to the K5. The high ISO performance does help a lot with sports and the AF does seem better as well. Here are a couple of football photos with the K20D.

The basketball photos below were taken with the K5.

A few more in the gallery.
01-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #383
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Nice shots, a little overexposure will bring out the "black player".
I shoot floorball and hockey with a K-7 and Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 II and dark skincolour is a really tough one. Exposure-metering usually goes bad, AF sometimes goes "bazoonga" and ISO noise becomes horrible in the players face. I still haven't found a real fix for the problem and just accepted that my camera is a racist.

Anyone experiencing the same thing and got any clues on how to solve it?

01-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #384
Pentaxian

It isn't an uncommon problem. We all expose to not blow the highlights. The unfortunate thing is that the low levels that end up being noise is someone's face. If in a sporting event everyone would just stop for a moment so we could strategically place a fill light the problem could be avoided.
01-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #385
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
It isn't an uncommon problem. We all expose to not blow the highlights. The unfortunate thing is that the low levels that end up being noise is someone's face. If in a sporting event everyone would just stop for a moment so we could strategically place a fill light the problem could be avoided.
I'm mostly overexpose and don't mind blown highlights in some parts of the frame. But not with al sports offcourse.
01-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #386
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I shoot floorball and hockey with a K-7 and Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 II and dark skincolour is a really tough one. Exposure-metering usually goes bad, AF sometimes goes "bazoonga" and ISO noise becomes horrible in the players face. I still haven't found a real fix for the problem and just accepted that my camera is a racist.

Anyone experiencing the same thing and got any clues on how to solve it?
Oh heck, yes! I was really embarrassed by the noise that afflicted the photos of my daughter's african-american team-mates. The K-5 helped a lot. It still can be a problem in dim gyms but fortunately the home court is well lit.

01-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #387
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Oh heck, yes! I was really embarrassed by the noise that afflicted the photos of my daughter's african-american team-mates. The K-5 helped a lot. It still can be a problem in dim gyms but fortunately the home court is well lit.
Good news as I'm waiting for a K-5 to arrive at the moment! My brother and I shared the K-7 but both liked shooting too much to share the camera willingly and as I shoot sports I went for a new K-5 (awesome price!) and my brother keeps the K-7.

K-7 + Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 HSM II

Some hockey (sorry for my lack of editing skills):

My quick test at floorball (from a bad angle):

Boy, I really should upload more to Flickr as FB kills quality.
01-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #388
Pentaxian

Original Poster
European Championship Waterpolo

Near my town in Eindhoven in the national Swimming Stadum there is from 16 - 29 januari the European Championship Waterpolo for men and women. I will attend this tournament every day (didn't see any other Pentax, but there was a Sony next to Canon/Nikon). So some pictures will come here..

Ekwaterpolo2012 - Home

I don't visit all the games, but try to cover two games a day in this first selection round.

First men Greece (white cap and winning) against The Netherlands.

The Dutch men team only made it to this tournament because of the organisation. The Dutch womens team are the current Olympic Gold Medal holders. The womens team is new and fresh, so we will see how they will go.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)
01-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #389
Loyal Site Supporter

Really excellent, Ron! I find it hard to watch Water Polo--it seems brutally exhausting.
01-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #390
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Small and fast moving objects, K-5 worked flawlessly. All shot with Sigma 70-200mm