Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #421
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jppp, Hockey is one of the fastest sports to shoot. Shooting through the glass doesn't help. The shots look pretty good.

Yes Bruce, it was bitter cold. 8 degrees F and a howling wind. The had to cancel the afternoon competition because of the wind. I stayed down at the bottom of the pipe. As you can see from the second shot, the wind was blowing the snow up top and the photographers had to keep turning their lenses away to keep the snow off the front. Being further back, I had to crop the shots at the top of the pipe but I GOT my shots. I also got the shot of the event being there and that was the one of the tribute the ladies did for Sarah Burke. I shot it with the K10D and DA 15 so it's out of place here in the K5 thread but it's in my thread in General Talk. My daughter posted it on Sarah's site and it's gone viral through the skiing world.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/172398-rip-sarah-burke.html

01-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #422
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
My first extended outing with the K5 was a complete success.
Good shots.

I took some zoo shots yesterday. I found, with any sunny sky in the background with matrix metering, I had to apply -0.7 to - 1.3 EVcomp to prevent bright-patch blow-out. In your shots there's no bright sky, but did you have apply EVcomp for the snow? Or was the bright stuff wide-spread/diffuse enough not to warrant EVcomp at all? We don't ever get snow here in Brisbane (only hail), so I'll never know.

Dan.
01-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #423
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
We don't ever get snow here in Brisbane
Come on Dan the Brissy weather is fantastic all year round, you remember 'Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next'!
01-22-2012, 04:48 AM   #424
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
wow, lots of new sports to see here. I like tennis, but don't have much done it. Great work in the snow also!

01-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #425
Pentaxian

Good shots.

I took some zoo shots yesterday. I found, with any sunny sky in the background with matrix metering, I had to apply -0.7 to - 1.3 EVcomp to prevent bright-patch blow-out. In your shots there's no bright sky, but did you have apply EVcomp for the snow? Or was the bright stuff wide-spread/diffuse enough not to warrant EVcomp at all? We don't ever get snow here in Brisbane (only hail), so I'll never know.

Dan.
It was in and out of the clouds all day with conditions changing by the minute. I just let the camera meter and I adjusted in PP. There was so much light it was impossible to see the LCD most of the time. Half the pipe was in shadow and the other in bright sun and that black fence all along the top would affect the metering also. The K5's meter did an excellent job. This sport is fast and with heavy gloves on, there was no time to make adjustments. I only had a handful of shots out of several hundred that I have deleted due to exposure issues that I couldn't adjust in Lightroom. Most underexposed slightly. My meter was set to center weighted.
01-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #426

Football in wintery conditions, although only -2°C. My normal rig: K5 + Tamron 70-200 2.8 wide open, ISO mainly 1000 and shutter 1/1000. I do like to stop the motion so that the ball and dirt hover in the air and the effort of the players and their facial expressions are clear.

You won't see this in pictures from Brazil...

This time I remembered to switch of the SR. I think the result is better this way in situations where the camera is being panned and moved more than what you might call 'shaking'.

Last edited by jppp; 01-22-2012 at 08:22 AM.
01-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #427

Some indoor Athletics from yesterday. Used to shoot this with my K10, now the K5 does a better job. Not so much the autofocus (the sigma 70-200 works fine on both) but the high iso (allowing me to use Tav mode) and the better auto white balance make things easier for me. Also a bit more room for cropping. Interestingly enough I spotted a fellow pentax person with a K5 (first time for me, I feel a bit lonely sometimes ;-)). No time to chat because at that moment my daughter was running a 1000m...

60 m hurdles (D1 juniors)

60 m hurdles (D2 juniors)

1000m finish (D1 juniors)

01-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #428
Banned

Original Poster
Wow that second 60m hurdles came out really great.
01-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #429

Thanks. I needed to crop a bit as the sigma 70-200 I used is a bit short for this hall.
01-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #430
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ron....jpeg's or RAW for the sports? i'm sure its been asked but this thread is 30 pages long
01-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #431

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
Ron....jpeg's or RAW for the sports? i'm sure its been asked but this thread is 30 pages long
I've just gone RAW and I like it. I feel that the burst speed is still adequate and I've gained big in PP possibilities. I was actually surprised about the burst speed AND the buffer capabilities on sunday while shooting football. With K7 RAW was not an option for me.
01-24-2012, 02:07 AM   #432
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jppp Quote
I've just gone RAW and I like it. I feel that the burst speed is still adequate and I've gained big in PP possibilities.
With raw, what new PP possibilities do you appreciate for sports shots?

While I appreciate the WB flexibility of raw in general use (I only used JPEG briefly for a few months in late 2008 when I bought my first DSLR, a K100D Super, before switching permanently to raw), with outdoors sports I don't usually need to adjust WB at all.

When I shoot sports I appreciate being able to easily adjust exposure & dodging - bringing up the faces & fronts of shadowed players.

That's what I found with the K20D. With the K-5, which I will start using for soccer in late March or early April, I'm expecting a much improved level of this exposure & dodging flexibility.

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 01-24-2012 at 02:20 AM.
01-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #433
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Quote
Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next
That quote doesn't apply to SE QLD and far north NSW. More like 'constant, heavy rain for periods of two weeks at a time during summer'. Ugh.
01-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #434
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schj Quote
60 m hurdles (D2 juniors)
That is an impressive shot. I wouldn't have expected just 1/500 sec to freeze the action so well.
01-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #435

With raw, what new PP possibilities do you appreciate for sports shots?
More or less everything works better when adjustin RAW pics, but the most important ones are the basics like WB and exposure. It just started to annoy me when certain things like lens profiles didn't work with jpg's. I mean why not shoow RAW, if file size or camera's performance in action sports is not an issue? I'm currently quite pleased with my kit, only that I'd really like some more quality reach at wide apertures, like Sigma 120-300 2.8 ;D
That, however, may just be out of my budget at the moment...