Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #436
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
Ron....jpeg's or RAW for the sports? i'm sure its been asked but this thread is 30 pages long
Well I very much like it that this threat is one of the most popular threats in the K-5 section. This means that Pentax users also like their camera to be able to shoot sports and investing in a new AF system is well spend money!

I currently only use RAW for sports. It is also a bit of a hassle, since the files are big and my 32GB cards do fill up quickly.

This month is about the most crazy one in sportsphotography for me. I did some volleyball games, went to a kickbox night and follow the EC Waterfly (I think I will follow 32 games). So my K-5 are on heavy workload at the time.

Last game was between Italy and The Netherlands, womens game waterfly in the quarter final. It was a real thriller. After regular playtime (4 times 8 minutes real playtime) it was 11-11 and after overtime (two times 3 minutes real playtime) it was 13-13. Then there where penalty's and Italy won because off two missings of the Dutch team.

This is Nomi Stomphorst after the lost game:

Some more pictures after the weekend or so, I'm to busy doing things.

01-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #437
Veteran Member

Wow, you caught the moment Ron!
01-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #438
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Wow, you caught the moment Ron!
Yeay I did, but I did make the mistake to be on the wrong spot during the first stage of the penalty's. So went back arount the pool to this place. Still things to learn. Being on time on the best place is very important.
01-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #439
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Yeay I did, but I did make the mistake to be on the wrong spot during the first stage of the penalty's. So went back arount the pool to this place. Still things to learn. Being on time on the best place is very important.
Yeah, I learned that 80-90% of shooting sports is placing yourself in the right spot at the right time when I shoot hockey. It doesn't matter how expensive your equipment is nor how steady you are with the camera if all of the shots are of the refs backs (been there, done that).

01-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #440
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

European Championsships Waterpolo 2012

Just like Ron I also attended some matches and even ran into Ron at the end.
Here some of my pictures.

1 - Hungary goalkeeper Baksa stops a shot from Hantal of Turkey

2 - Varga from Hungary can freely take a shot at the Turkish goal

3 - Pijetlovic from Serbie fires at the goal of Montenegro

4 - sprint off for the ball at the start of Q2 between Serbie and Montenegro

5 - Ivovic from Montenegro is ready to fire while Cuk from Serbie is too late for the block

You can see some more pictures of the EC Wat5erpolo overhere https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/172919-sports-waterpolo-...ml#post1793291
01-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #441
Veteran Member

That sport is just sick, dunno how they can keep themselves afloat.
01-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #442

It's not cricket when the girl gets the shot!

A group of camera club members have formed an action group following the local sports, Cycling, Greyhound racing, equestrian eventing, hockey, horse racing, roller derby etc. Last weekend was skateboarding comp but the guy's from the group didn't make it as it was raining (at home). I didn't let the rain bother me especially with my K5 and during a break in the skateboard competition I walked across to the cricket pitch where a local match was playing. I so enjoyed rubbing it into the guy's when I got these images.

Attached Images

01-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #443
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alibaba, nice clear shots. What are the exposure settings and the lens used?

Dan
01-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #444

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Alibaba, nice clear shots. What are the exposure settings and the lens used?

Dan
Thanks Dan
DA*60-250mm
170mm 1/500 @7.1 ISO400
01-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #445
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Alison.
I assume that both images are of the same wicket falling.
(The umpire appears to be the only static participant; the ball hasn't travelled very far given the distance the bat has travelled).
If it is the same wicket, it shows the value of fast frame rates to capture action.
01-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #446

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Hi Alison.
I assume that both images are of the same wicket falling.
(The umpire appears to be the only static participant; the ball hasn't travelled very far given the distance the bat has travelled).
If it is the same wicket, it shows the value of fast frame rates to capture action.
Yes Rod I had on continuous and took 3 images, the last shows the stump flying through the air. I agree the K5 has a fast frame rate better than the K7 and I have noticed when next to a number of other recent editions to the big un's that it appears quicker.

Q. Does the camera time stop as buffer downloads as this is 1of 2 earlier image but shown by camera 2.05.22pm above images were 2.05.43pm could a bowler get back to start in .0.0.21secs?
Attached Images

Last edited by Alibaba; 01-26-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Didn't finish reply
01-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #447
Pentaxian

yes, depending on the run-up, what happened off the previous ball etc, a bowler could get to the crease in 20 seconds.
01-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #448
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is also a bit of a hassle, since the files are big and my 32GB cards do fill up quickly.
Hi Maestro

Don't complain, cards are changed quickly.

Remember the old film days ? New technology spoils us quickly, doesn't it ?

Greetings
01-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #449
Veteran Member

This is Nomi Stomphorst after the lost game:.

Now THAT is a hell of a shot!

What lens is this? I cant see exif for some reason.
01-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #450
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi Maestro

Don't complain, cards are changed quickly.

Remember the old film days ? New technology spoils us quickly, doesn't it ?

Greetings
I watched it again today. While I'm still waiting for my K-5 to process I see other photographers already viewing and deleting pictures. By the time my K-5 is ready, there is no time for me to review and delete files. So my cards are full because of slow processing (comparing to Nikon D3s and Canon 1D Mark IV). It is incredible the amount of pictures I'm taking at this two weeks event. In total I'm watching 34 games and that is breaking down my camera's (I guess in the long term) It looks like I'm going to just test the shutter for it's garanteed 100k working amount.

QuoteOriginally posted by TigerLord Quote
Now THAT is a hell of a shot!

What lens is this? I cant see exif for some reason.
Thanks, My feeling is that this is my best picture this year (for now). Well actually it is not the picture here, but from the same series this frame: Nomi Stomphorst in tears! I took that with Sigma 70-200mm/f2.8 EX DG OS HSM at the settings: (180mm | 1/200th | f3.5 | iso3200). The lens is really good in my opinion.

Today I took a very short clip of the start of one of the quarters in the game between The Netherlands and Spain. Men's game in the semi finals. Spain won and now the Dutch team has only a limited chance to get to the 2012 Olympics (when hell freezes over or something alike they can enter the OKT in april).

The strange part about this clip is that just before the ball is flipped, there is a little hick-up in it. I took a look at it and there are three excactly the same frames in it (they are copy's). Never noticed this before. For action video the shutterspeed should just a little faster then this, but we can't controll it.

And a picture of one of the Spanish (white cap) goals:

Spain won with 14 - 9

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 01-27-2012 at 04:58 PM.