Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #466
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 691
Nice shots! From the Exif these were shot with D700 Nikon. I notice the exposure time is like 1/100 for a 200mm FL, I would like to know from you guys how to get that kind of sharpess? Panning?

QuoteOriginally posted by IIGQ4U Quote
Here are some pics from an AutoX



















01-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #467
Senior Member
jppp's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SW Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 141
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Wow. they are tack sharp compared to my attempts! How are you doing that through the glass?
Nice to realize that I may be just a tad hard on myself in my quest for excellence ;D
I think it all starts with a fast lens, in this case the Tamron 70-200 f2.8. After that it's a battle between sensitivity and shutter speed - then again, when exactly that isn't the case in sports...
Anyways, my settings were mainly (full manual) ISO 2500 - 3200, 1/500 - 1/800, f/2.8 and a custom WB. Shot RAW and PP with Lightroom. I think the most important thing is to get things as close to perfect in camera. In my first attempts I under exposed too much and got the WB all wrong and that was impossible to fix in post. Green faces, noise, way less sharp than these ones, etc. Now I kept checking my settings all the time to make sure there's no under exposure and that the WB looked good. Also, I tried to shoot as directly through the glass as possible to minimize its effect on the sharpness and tone. And that's it basically.
In post I used a grad filter to darken the ice a bit and make its texture more visible, tweaked the WB only slightly and adjusted the exposure. No sharpening nor noise reduction.

Last edited by jppp; 01-31-2012 at 04:15 AM.
01-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #468
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: La Jolla, CA.
Posts: 262
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
Nice shots! From the Exif these were shot with D700 Nikon. I notice the exposure time is like 1/100 for a 200mm FL, I would like to know from you guys how to get that kind of sharpess? Panning?
In order to pan properly, you should set your camera to continuous autofocus as well as burst mode. You want to use a slightly long shutter duration (1/60-1/125) to illustrate the motion of the vehicle and blur the background. You want to pan with the car as smoothly as you can. If the car is coming towards you, you will want to stop the motion of the vehicle or moving object. If your subject is moving across your sensor, you will want to use a longer shutter duration and pan with the subject.
01-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #469
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: La Jolla, CA.
Posts: 262
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
"Kiesel Ride", love the bugeye. Nice shots for a Nikon D700.
Thanks! Sorry it's not the K-5, though the results would have been the same with either camera.

01-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #470
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
QuoteOriginally posted by jppp Quote
Nice to realize that I may be just a tad hard on myself in my quest for excellence ;D
I think it all starts with a fast lens, in this case the Tamron 70-200 f2.8. After that it's a battle between sensitivity and shutter speed - then again, when exactly that isn't the case in sports...
Anyways, my settings were mainly (full manual) ISO 2500 - 3200, 1/500 - 1/800, f/2.8 and a custom WB. Shot RAW and PP with Lightroom. I think the most important thing is to get things as close to perfect in camera. In my first attempts I under exposed too much and got the WB all wrong and that was impossible to fix in post. Green faces, noise, way less sharp than these ones, etc. Now I kept checking my settings all the time to make sure there's no under exposure and that the WB looked good. Also, I tried to shoot as directly through the glass as possible to minimize its effect on the sharpness and tone. And that's it basically.
In post I used a grad filter to darken the ice a bit and make its texture more visible, tweaked the WB only slightly and adjusted the exposure. No sharpening nor noise reduction.
Yeah, I think you're simply too hard on yourself and it can be both a curse and something good at the same time.
It sounds almost exactly the same as my settings with the K-7 (haven't tried my new K-5 yet at sports) but I get a shutter at between 1/450-1/640 despite ISO3200 to get an useful exposure. I guess that either my rink is darker or the plexi a bit different. I'll try a higher ISO next time with the K-5 to compensate for a faster shutter and I guess that the extended dynamic range of the camera will give me a better option in PP.
01-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #471
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 405
I had the chance to shoot a couple of basketball games with the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lens I bought from a user here last week. For the girls' game I shot without flash and the ISO was generally between 4000 and 8000 at times. Here are a few shots from that game.







For the boys' game I used a flash and the ISO was set at 3200 to 4000 most of the time.



01-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #472
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,073
QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
I had the chance to shoot a couple of basketball games with the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lens I bought from a user here last week. For the girls' game I shot without flash and the ISO was generally between 4000 and 8000 at times. Here are a few shots from that game.
Good action--I like the first one a lot!
01-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #473
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: La Jolla, CA.
Posts: 262
Very good, especially considering the high ISOs used.

01-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #474
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 691
Thanks IIGQ4U! I hope to try that soon....
02-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #475
Senior Member
jppp's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SW Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 141
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It sounds almost exactly the same as my settings with the K-7
I haven't tried to shoot hockey with my K7 yet, but it might be interesting. You mentioned mushy pictures and that's - unfortunately - exactly what I'd expect to get with it. I'll have to try that next time.
02-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #476
Veteran Member
darrenleow's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 541
K-5 and Sigma 70-200 HSM II, Tokina 28-70 f/2.8







02-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #477
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
Original Poster
Wow, I love that last shot of the start.
02-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #478
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: La Jolla, CA.
Posts: 262
Darrenleow, the first pic is awesome!
02-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #479
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
My first game wit the K-5 instead of K-7 and boy, what a difference to work with in PP! I haven't even applied NR in Lightroom and still they look great in ISO2000-6400.

Sadly the AF in my Sigma 70-200 broke down again, possibly for good, so I had to MF almost the whole game.










(damn stick!)


The whole set here: Surahammar-Enköping 2012-02-03
02-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #480
klh
Site Supporter
klh's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rochester, New York, USA
Posts: 765
A few from earlier today. I am just loving the K-5! Here's my first attempts at basketball. Exposure varied, but mostly around 1/500, f/7.1, ISO 3200








Last edited by klh; 02-06-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bigma, buffer, camera, championship, da*200, detail, dslr, football, football game, frames, game, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, match, pentax k-5, post, shots, soccer, softball, son
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The danger of sports photography mindglow General Talk 10 12-22-2009 06:50 PM
Sports photography help Mann Photographic Technique 36 06-23-2009 12:49 AM
Help with sports/action photography monochrome Pentax DSLR Discussion 31 11-02-2008 03:49 PM
Amateur sports photography...on a Pentax? pixelpruner Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 07-13-2008 05:40 PM
Indoor sports photography how to? sglj3 Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 04-24-2008 11:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top