Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #721
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I just love the lacrosse game. I have to look into that and put it in my agenda.
It is a fun game to watch (& play). My father tells me that it was once an Olympic sport (and the Brits actually fielded a team) but I guess the IOOC thought better of it.

Photographically, It's a shame that mouthguards and goggles are required. The protective gear is more pronounced in the men's game, of course, but to the point that the players become something of an abstraction.

05-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #722
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
It is a fun game to watch (& play). My father tells me that it was once an Olympic sport (and the Brits actually fielded a team) but I guess the IOOC thought better of it.

Photographically, It's a shame that mouthguards and goggles are required. The protective gear is more pronounced in the men's game, of course, but to the point that the players become something of an abstraction.
Don't worry, I don't shoot men's games
05-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #723
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote

The European Championship Lacrosse will be this summer in Amsterdam, so I guess I have to find time to visit some games.

Went to the third play-off game field hockey where Den Bosch won and got a ticket to the finals (and a ticket for next seazons European Championship). Third goal made by Maartje Paumen, one off the leaders for Den Bosch and the national team.

At iso 6400 that is a task for this fast game.
05-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #724
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I did try the Sigma 50-150 at yesterday's game--in fact, I only used that lens because there was light rain and it was easier to protect under my poncho than the longer zoom. [To answer the obvious: yes, it did occur to me that it would have been nice to have a WR lens.]

I came away with some ok shots (although ISO was pretty high and I think the rain messed with the AF a bit.)

Got some shots on goal:

Pano by crop

Wet

05-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #725
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the crop version of the girls Hockey , rather eye catching !!!
05-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #726
Brooke Meyer

Thinking Outside The Barn - Horse at Play

Did a session last Sunday with a favorite customer, the first person to ever hire me. It was like the first session, just a different horse. The shot of me showing photos to the horse was taken with my other K-5 and Tamron 28-75 which I handed to the owner. All others are with the 50-135 I'm holding. Shot this the same way I shoot ballet, stay of the rear AF button, pan with the subject, zooming as needed to keep the frame full, SR on, AF-S, manual exposure. The last photo goes a little soft on this Forum, it looks crisper on my Blog
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #727

Photos: Albums
Soccer: K-5 with smc DA 50-200mm 4.5-5.6 ED WR

I've typically been a street shooter but with an active son I've been practicing my action shooting. I've been both impressed and inspired by the images that the original poster has shared, as well as many of those subsequent. The scene of the photographer bonding together with his horse subject is so evocative! I'm sure my photos are not as striking yet, but I'll keep on practicing. This is my first DSLR (though I used to shoot 35mm and medium format film).

All of these were captured with the DA 50-200mm lens, on AF-S. I find this lens to be a bit short, now that my son is playing on the full field, and am keeping my eyes open for a DA 55-300mm. In the meantime, many of these scenes are cropped. Mid-day light was strong, with contrasty shadows for some of the game, and I had to do my best in PP to mitigate the difference between the U12's black uniforms and the U14's white jerseys.

Maybe I reduced the gamma too much, but for some reason the JPGs I've uploaded here appear somewhat desaturated, whereas they are much richer looking on my laptop and on Flickr. The turf of course appears a different colour depending upon the direction of the shot. Here is an example of the colour difference between this site and Flickr ... you can check out the first photo using a guest pass. It's the identical file uploaded in both instances.

The last file is a lucky catch. While I was panning for this shot, another photographer fired his flash at the same time.

Appreciate any tips to help me improve my action shooting technique ...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #728
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by anthologie Quote
I've typically been a street shooter but with an active son I've been practicing my action shooting. I've been both impressed and inspired by the images that the original poster has shared, as well as many of those subsequent. The scene of the photographer bonding together with his horse subject is so evocative! I'm sure my photos are not as striking yet, but I'll keep on practicing. This is my first DSLR (though I used to shoot 35mm and medium format film).

All of these were captured with the DA 50-200mm lens, on AF-S. I find this lens to be a bit short, now that my son is playing on the full field, and am keeping my eyes open for a DA 55-300mm. In the meantime, many of these scenes are cropped. Mid-day light was strong, with contrasty shadows for some of the game, and I had to do my best in PP to mitigate the difference between the U12's black uniforms and the U14's white jerseys.

Maybe I reduced the gamma too much, but for some reason the JPGs I've uploaded here appear somewhat desaturated, whereas they are much richer looking on my laptop and on Flickr. The turf of course appears a different colour depending upon the direction of the shot. Here is an example of the colour difference between this site and Flickr ... you can check out the first photo using a guest pass. It's the identical file uploaded in both instances.

The last file is a lucky catch. While I was panning for this shot, another photographer fired his flash at the same time.

Appreciate any tips to help me improve my action shooting technique ...
I wish it was my horse, it was my customers. She saw the shot and suggested it so I handed her my other camera, she pointed and shot. Your photos look fine, soccer is hard. I think cropping is the most powerful editing tool. There is no inherent wonderfulness in showing exactly as shot. The camera is just a tool. Depending on the presentation and software, color will look different. Unless you're looking at a calibrated monitor, its unpredictable and unavoidable. The most important thing is to get out and look and shoot a lot. Find a local camera club, you'll find help and talent and new friends.

05-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #729
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
There is no inherent wonderfulness in showing exactly as shot.
I agree--sort of. There is kind of a special thrill when you nail a shot straight out of camera but--at least for me--it's the exception r/t the rule--especially when it comes to sports and even more so with regard to cropping. In fact, I generally shoot to crop: the worst thing is to get a good one and find that you've cut off the feet or hands of the primary subject.
05-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #730
Site Supporter

@Ronhendriks I love your shot of the lacrosse celebration, you definitely captured the moment on that one. Not many chances to get a shot like that one when the celebration occurs.
05-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #731
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@Dadipantak
That "wet" shot is very nice.

@BrookeMeyer
I love that third shot. Looking at the first one: please don't eat my strap, luckily you aint a donkey

@Anthologie
I love that last shot.

@Dave2k
You got an overload on sportsimages Mine is field hockey, never been to Lacrosse yet.

I discussed yesterday Lacrosse with another photographer at a soccergame. I told him about the european chapionship coming. He asked how does that sport looks like? Well I haven't seen it yet, but I seen pictures. It looks like catching butterfly's, with a net on a pool running after the ball. Did I describet that good?
05-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #732
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It looks like catching butterfly's, with a net on a pool running after the ball. Did I describet that good?
That's about right.
05-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #733
Brooke Meyer

New Sport

Shot a benefit concert tonight that included the B-52's. Performers in the audience were more interesting than the stage. New to me, discovered "Hoopers", definitely a sport of sorts.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-13-2012, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #734
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
U10 Soccer Action

K5. First 6 shots - Pentax DA* 60-250/F4, 1/000s, f/5.6, ISO 125-160.

Final 4 shots - Sigma 70-200/F2.8. All 1/2000s, ISO 80-125.

7. f/3.5

8. f/2.8

9. f/2.8

10. f/2.8

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 05-13-2012 at 04:59 AM.
05-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #735
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
U10 Soccer Action
Real nice!