Also for reference, Canon EOS 1D Mark III at 10fps:

10-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
k10d

10-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Er... Christine, they're only 1 frame each! FPS doesn't matter - maybe you're just really good at timing! (BTW, you took both cameras to the show?)
10-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Er... Christine, they're only 1 frame each! FPS doesn't matter - maybe you're just really good at timing! (BTW, you took both cameras to the show?)
No I took 100s of shots in continuous mode, but just picked out the ones that came out well.

Also the shots were taken on different days - no I can't carry another body in addition to the EOS 1D

As an indication of how many shots I took - I filled up a 16GB card on both days!

The EOS1D at 10fps of course is much better at allowing me to pick exactly the shot I was looking for. Here is an example (I tried several times on the K10D to exact this precise shot but never succeeded - EOS 1D on second try!)

10-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
What I like about Pentax cameras is the usability - the P and Hyper M modes, the twin rotary dials (the EOS 1D has twin rotary dials, but under most modes they both do the same function) - at the end of the day, usability is as important a factor in getting good shots as fps and frame buffer sizes. Try manually selecting a focus point on the EOS 1D - no where near as easy as on a Pentax.
Hehe, I like this comment. I thought the 1D or equivalent classes or even 7D would be easier... but may be not. The K10D is not even compared to the T1i class in someone's eye.
10-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #66
Veteran Member

1/8000 is good...but 1/16000 would be better. 1/500s flash sync speed would be more useful as well. Everything else, depends what you have at the moment.

well thats my experience when using TAv and Av modes.

K20D + 28-105 with AV mode. Unfortunately max shutter speed was 1/4000s which is not helping when it takes also few more moments for the SR to activate and so had to learn another technique to compensate which surprisingly works better.

what i like best is the almost non-existent shutter lag. I must admit, using the K20D has forced me to learn a lot of tricks and appreciate a number of dslr features.

I am pretty sure the 1/8000 shutter speed + the increased fps will make the job less stressful. Not to mention with the iso improvements, f/2.8 will become more and more useful. And hopefully, come up with a SDM drive that would make USM, SWM and whatever seem slow by comparison.

Last edited by Reportage; 10-05-2010 at 08:12 PM.
10-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Ooooh good one....did the person survive the "incident" ?
10-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
for sports, my biggest concern is the shutter lag. with the k20d, its pretty much instantaneous.
Do you mean the shutter lag on the K20d is instantaneous? Like, you press the shutter release, and the shutter lag begins immediately?

The shutter on the K20d has a tons of lag compared to the K-7; and even the K-7 has a lot compared to other bodies. I"m hoping the K-5 will be really snappy.

10-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Do you mean the shutter lag on the K20d is instantaneous? Like, you press the shutter release, and the shutter lag begins immediately?

The shutter on the K20d has a tons of lag compared to the K-7; and even the K-7 has a lot compared to other bodies. I"m hoping the K-5 will be really snappy.
Shutter lag is the delay from the time you fully press the shutter (with AF already locked in - so AF speed doesn't come into it, or you are on MF) to moment the camera actually takes the shot.

With both the K20D and the K-7 that's nearly instantaneous, and not really worth talking about.

Imaging-resources timed it at 0.074 seconds for the K-7, 0.061 seconds for the Canon 7D. What's 0.013 seconds between friends ?

Pentax K-7 Digital Camera Performance - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E7D/E7DA6.HTM
10-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Sorry to spoil the party, but I've mentioned the older AF ED f/4 which in exchange for WR and SR (useless for anything requiring stop motion anyways) features focus-range limiter and sells for ~400-500$ less than both DA*300/4 and AF-S 300/4... And still focuses faster than SDM will ever do... not bad...

Oh, that's not one of my pictures b.t.w... just used something I had as an example....

I live just as far from any coast... and on these rare occasions when I hit one, i'm mostly too hungry for wind and too busy riding... By the time I'm tired enough to go relax and take pictures, i'm too toasted to do anything at all... But as i've said in some other thread, I've started shooting that stuff with a K10d and the K 300/4 i've mentioned earlier... Got some awesome shots, but to do this kind of a time-lapse stacked shot, you need a reasonable framerate. And a reasonable buffer size....
You could also get the fa*300/4.5 for the same price as the nikon on the used market, excellent glass.
10-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Shutter lag is the delay from the time you fully press the shutter (with AF already locked in - so AF speed doesn't come into it, or you are on MF) to moment the camera actually takes the shot.

With both the K20D and the K-7 that's nearly instantaneous, and not really worth talking about.

Imaging-resources timed it at 0.074 seconds for the K-7, 0.061 seconds for the Canon 7D. What's 0.013 seconds between friends ?

Pentax K-7 Digital Camera Performance - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!
Canon EOS 7D Digital Camera Performance - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!
I know what shutterlag is. What I meant was, as far as I can tell the K2-d has quite a bit of it. The K-7 feels pretty good, but K20d feels noticeably slower to me. And the K-7 still feels slower than some competitor cameras. But now that you post some numbers, I realize that Canon shutter buttons in particular feel very hair trigger feeling to me, and that might give the impression of being faster, when it's really just a difference in sensitivity.
10-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Also, I thought I would throw it out there, that catching moments, even in fast moving spots has much more to do with timing and anticipation, rather than with FPS. Usually the faster the sport, the smaller the moment of peak action/intensity, down to the point where we're talking about 100ths of a second. Even shooting at 10 fps you're only catching 10 of those 100ths. Frequently when just start before the moment, and holding down the button until after hte moment is over, the moment ends up falling between two of the frames. The more dialed in to the craft, your camera and the sport/activity, the more you can just intentionally take just one camera. Many many many pro sports photographers just shoot single frames. There's even another post going on this board about an NBA photog. In the article, the guy talks about how he is shooting using a whole arsenal of strobes in the ceiling, so he can shoot at low ISOs and still freeze motion, and how the lights take 4 seconds to recycle. That means he's shooting at .25 fps, which is apparently enough for award winning cover shots. Something to think about...
04-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #73
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-5 had no problems locking on and stopping action here:

These guys were flipping at high speed, and I could vouch for the K-5's more sure focusing in such a setting (compared with the K10D/K20D/*ist D)
04-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Ash, what's the shutter speed and aperture for those photos? They are great!
04-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #75
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Just 1/800sec at f/8 using the DA 55-300 for those exposures Chris. Thanks for the compliment.

I usually anticipate the action and have the lens pre-focused to the general vicinity, which makes the time from start of focus to shutter release almost immediate for the K-5 under those good lighting conditions.