Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #1096
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Yeah, but I knew that, and that's why I wanted the K-5 II for that match and got it in just a day or two before. One week later we had a similar condition, but then in the rain, so even less light to work with.
You kill all the talk that the high ISO isn't useful. When the stakes are get the pic or nothing I find the quality of your shot impressive!
I could have used a K-5 II at new years eve...

01-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #1097
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
You kill all the talk that the high ISO isn't useful. When the stakes are get the pic or nothing I find the quality of your shot impressive!
I could have used a K-5 II at new years eve...
Well I'm making A3 and A3+ prints for my upcoming photo exhibition and there are still some amazing pictures for the games I had to cross the iso6400 barier, wich I try to avoid. Offcourse the games in summer with low iso are amazing and different end those in good light venues also, but still very nice too give that feeling off battle.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 01-05-2013 at 01:57 PM.
01-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #1098
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This one at a soccermatch:

200mm | f3.5 | 1/320th | iso 25.600
Pretty funny! I love how #21 is up on her toes as she anticipates the ball!

This is quite amazing at ISO 25,600. I imagine you did some heavy NR in PP? What tool(s) do you use?

Apparently you're saying the K-5 II also shows a high-ISO improvement over the K-5, not just the IIs - correct?

I have the IIs, and I'd like to replace the K-5 with a II. However, I'll probably keep the current setup through the end of the spring season, and who knows what Pentax will have available or pending by then?

Last edited by DSims; 01-05-2013 at 02:59 PM.
01-06-2013, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #1099
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Pretty funny! I love how #21 is up on her toes as she anticipates the ball!

This is quite amazing at ISO 25,600. I imagine you did some heavy NR in PP? What tool(s) do you use?

Apparently you're saying the K-5 II also shows a high-ISO improvement over the K-5, not just the IIs - correct?

I have the IIs, and I'd like to replace the K-5 with a II. However, I'll probably keep the current setup through the end of the spring season, and who knows what Pentax will have available or pending by then?
The logo for the league:

She should where them

Not shure about the iso, since I never done this with the K-5. I used the K-5 to get the advantage off AF with my Sigma 70-200mm/f2.8 EX DG OS HSM lens and the f2.8 AF centre point. It all comes down to are the players standing in a nicely litt position compared to their surroundings.

01-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #1100
Veteran Member

A couple of shots from the last hockey game, quick and dirty edits as always!
The home team Surahammar is on a three game winning streak despite zero defensive play after this 7-5 win.
Published on the local newspapers website: http://vlt.se/sport/ishockey/1.1935269-sura-lacker-men-vinner-anda
The team website: http://www8.idrottonline.se/SurahammarsIF-Ishockey/Nyheter/Klubbnyheter/Hawa...eyiSurahallen/
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #1101
Veteran Member

I used the K-5 to get the advantage off AF with my Sigma 70-200mm/f2.8 EX DG OS HSM lens and the f2.8 AF centre point. It all comes down to are the players standing in a nicely litt position compared to their surroundings.
Well it obviously worked well on the K-5 II. I should probably start using my center AF point some, but then I'll also have to change my approach to composition and plan on normally cropping after the shot.
01-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #1102
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Well it obviously worked well on the K-5 II. I should probably start using my center AF point some, but then I'll also have to change my approach to composition and plan on normally cropping after the shot.
Well K-5 II also has this zone-AF system (didn't know that at the time off the above image). You choose AF-C and SEL AF-point and you have an area around you selected AF-point to work with. Obvious choosing the centre point makes it working better in very dimm light. Then the camera chooses the centre point more the others and also more then K-5 does at that same moment.

01-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #1103
Veteran Member

Well K-5 II also has this zone-AF system (didn't know that at the time off the above image). You choose AF-C and SEL AF-point and you have an area around you selected AF-point to work with. Obvious choosing the centre point makes it working better in very dimm light. Then the camera chooses the centre point more the others and also more then K-5 does at that same moment.
I want a K-5 II! I just stood outside with Roedeers walking just past me now in the garden but the DA*300/4 was a slow and the AF of the K-5 bad (looked sometimes).

To more sporty things now Magazin24 published my photos on the web too: Tredje raka för Sura | Magazin24.se: Västra Mälardalens största nyhetssajt
01-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #1104
Banned

Original Poster
Just snapshots, but boy is this a popular picture. From the dutch soccerleague BeNeLeague Orange 144 girls (not complete) off the 8 teams playing:

This is just a picture off the A3+ print I made yesterday. I'm looking into making this a little bit bigger for my exhibition.
01-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #1105
Veteran Member

Just snapshots, but boy is this a popular picture. From the dutch soccerleague BeNeLeague Orange 144 girls (not complete) off the 8 teams playing:

This is just a picture off the A3+ print I made yesterday. I'm looking into making this a little bit bigger for my exhibition.
Actually I can see why, it's really cool! I get a Warhol feeling from it.
01-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #1106
Pentaxian

Ron, "Just snapshots". I like it.

I might do something like that this year for our kids soccer club. I'd probably put a title up the top e.g. "2013 Sunnybank Saints Teams" and team identifiers on the left e.g U9 Bionicles, U9 Coyotes, U9 Dinos etc. The main problem would be that there are different sized teams. Younger teams have small sides. Some teams only have 1 reserve, some have 3. Might need to make 2 compilations to account for different standard team sizes: Juniors, Seniors. A few blanks on the right probably wouldn't matter. If there's enough space (especially with 2 compilations), I might be able to put each name down near the bottom of a player's photo in a white-text-on-black box.

Diffused fill-flash for lighting or completely natural?

Is the left-to-right ordering of the photos significant? Alphabetical, playing number?

Did you use a specific program or template, or just lay it out in a desktop publisher?

Sunnybank Saints is a strong club: in 2012 13 of our teams made it to the semi-final or higher level in the Queensland Christian Soccer Association South-East Zone (the biggest zone with 17 clubs).

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-07-2013 at 02:59 PM.
01-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #1107
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Ron, "Just snapshots". I like it.

Is the left-to-right ordering of the photos significant? Alphabetical, playing number?

Did you use a specific program or template, or just lay it out in desktop publishing?

Dan.
This was the presentation for the new womenssoccerleague BeNe League. There where two divisions, The Dutch Orange (the girls above) and the Belgian Red. This was totaly unorganized and me and one other photographer set-up all these teams to get them infront off the camera. So we got all 8 Dutch teams and 4 off the Belgium teams.

The compilation is made in LightRoom 4 and I selected all 144 images and went to the PRINT section and made a field off 12 rows and 12 lines (mine is in Dutch, so don't know the real words). Selection as I made them and no selection else. Even when these where mixed that would be good, since then you couyld go and look for a player. So this is not one image, but still 144 different jpg-files.
01-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #1108
Veteran Member

Well K-5 II also has this zone-AF system (didn't know that at the time off the above image). You choose AF-C and SEL AF-point and you have an area around you selected AF-point to work with.
I tried this for one or two meets on my K-5 IIs. I think it hurt more than helped. For running shots, it seemed I could track the runners better than it could, and it might increase the chance of focusing on the wrong subject.

Perhaps it helps for most team, field and court sports.
01-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #1109
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Actually I can see why, it's really cool! I get a Warhol feeling from it.
The faceposter is very popular. I had no idea I was making something special:

http://www.vrouwenvoetbalnieuws.nl/?p=9358
01-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #1110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool collection!