Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #1171
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jani80 Quote
My first try of bouldering photography from above. It was harder than I thought to get climbing action captured This was my favorite one.

wow nice. How hard is it to take Bouldering pictures? In the Netherlands there will be the European championship bouldering this year.

02-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #1172
Inactive Account

Bouldering photography

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
wow nice. How hard is it to take Bouldering pictures? In the Netherlands there will be the European championship bouldering this year.
Hi Ron!

Before this bouldering test shoot I had only tried to shoot normal wall climbing for 2 times with tele lens and noticed that it was pretty boring. Only have the back of the climber and just try to play with the climbers different body movements, maybe I put here one image. So for this try I wanted to be above the climber to capture my brothers face.

At my climbing gyms boulder wall you do not have any access from behind to get up on the wall. Didn't have energy to ask for a ladder so I climbed up with my camera to maybe 3-4 meters. There was only a small edge around 60-100cm. Lied down and tried to keep a hook with my foot so I wouldn't slip.

My first idea was to use flash (my client does not like iso over 800) because the room is so high and the light was really mixed. Did not like that so switched it off and increased the iso to 1250. That iso only gave me 1/60 sec so had trouble to get sharp images. Will definitely use higher isos next time for my own purpose. I also think that in bouldering you can get nice images from a longer distance. The pro climbers do so crazy movements that it looks cool from wherever you are

I will hopefully try next week to do a few shots with a 80cm octabox above the wall for a studio like lightning and freeze cool chalk dust! As I have fallen in love with climbing myself I really enjoyed to photograph this type of sport. I started out my photography career with sports many years ago. Have not shot any sports in years so this is going to be SUPER COOL.

And a last word about the low ISO needs. I work for a image agency and our clients are often advertising agency's and they usually want images with low isos. I am trying to shoot everything with my low iso rule, to get as many images chosen to our website Folio Bildbyrå +46 8 720 56 00

Cheers
02-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #1173
Banned

Original Poster
Hi Ron!

Before this bouldering test shoot I had only tried to shoot normal wall climbing for 2 times with tele lens and noticed that it was pretty boring. Only have the back of the climber and just try to play with the climbers different body movements, maybe I put here one image. So for this try I wanted to be above the climber to capture my brothers face.

At my climbing gyms boulder wall you do not have any access from behind to get up on the wall. Didn't have energy to ask for a ladder so I climbed up with my camera to maybe 3-4 meters. There was only a small edge around 60-100cm. Lied down and tried to keep a hook with my foot so I wouldn't slip.

My first idea was to use flash (my client does not like iso over 800) because the room is so high and the light was really mixed. Did not like that so switched it off and increased the iso to 1250. That iso only gave me 1/60 sec so had trouble to get sharp images. Will definitely use higher isos next time for my own purpose. I also think that in bouldering you can get nice images from a longer distance. The pro climbers do so crazy movements that it looks cool from wherever you are

I will hopefully try next week to do a few shots with a 80cm octabox above the wall for a studio like lightning and freeze cool chalk dust! As I have fallen in love with climbing myself I really enjoyed to photograph this type of sport. I started out my photography career with sports many years ago. Have not shot any sports in years so this is going to be SUPER COOL.

And a last word about the low ISO needs. I work for a image agency and our clients are often advertising agency's and they usually want images with low isos. I am trying to shoot everything with my low iso rule, to get as many images chosen to our website Folio Bildbyrå +46 8 720 56 00

Cheers
Thanks very helpfull.
03-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #1174
Inactive Account

Here you have a climbing picture from behind Ron!
This is from my first time shooting climbing. I really think that the image looks really great when you capture the climber in a nice position!

Cheers

03-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #1175
Veteran Member

This is from my first time shooting climbing. I really think that the image looks really great when you capture the climber in a nice position!

Cheers
That's one interesting perspective that you rarely see, really cool!
03-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #1176
Banned

Original Poster

Cheers
That is a lot off direct light. I saw a video about one previous tournament. Looks like I'm going to have some fun those days.
03-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #1177
Inactive Account

That is a lot off direct light. I saw a video about one previous tournament. Looks like I'm going to have some fun those days.
Yes indeed, really hard and direct light. Here the whole gym was dark expect two large spotlights that followed the climber. In the boulder image all mixed lights in the gym on!

Do you Ron have a website for the competition with dates etc.? I am already planning a trip to Netherlands

Jan

03-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #1178
Banned

Original Poster
Yes indeed, really hard and direct light. Here the whole gym was dark expect two large spotlights that followed the climber. In the boulder image all mixed lights in the gym on!

Do you Ron have a website for the competition with dates etc.? I am already planning a trip to Netherlands

Jan
European Championship Bouldering 2013
03-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #1179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a vey cool and inventive website, by the way. Scrolling down the page is great fun!
03-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #1180
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bjdavey Quote
That is a vey cool and inventive website, by the way. Scrolling down the page is great fun!

I haven't done that, but you are right about the great site.
03-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #1181
Inactive Account

Thank you for the link Ron!
03-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #1182
Veteran Member

@Ron,

How many un-level shots do you get when doing a game? I'm getting several because i'm not concentrating on the background.
03-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #1183
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i'm far from being any pro-photog or anything, but i shoot mainly outdoor climbing and bouldering.

My only little piece of advice is : try to get the facial expression of the climber because it's what's great IMHO (it often means that you'll get the end and a great part of the body in the frame too.)
This mean you have to be above the climber. which can be problematic as it seems.

Pentax Mz-5n / Kodak gold @64 iso / DA(L) 35/2.4 @2.4 / 1/90. triggering at the best moment is the key to have keepers.

The other way is to be placed latteraly, which is great for huge dyno mouvements. You'll say that you're going to be too much "on the ground" soooo ... ask the gym to lend you the double ladder they probably use when they decide to change the boulder's holds It's usually quite stable, quite tall (up to 2 to 3 meters !)

this sounds a great idea to me. You can also combine some wireless trigger and gorilla pod (to hold the flash to some holds ) and some diffuser on the flash to soften a bit the light.

And use the biggest aperture you have (obvious, i know ), i my experience of indoor or night comps is that a f2.8 or best f2 and 1600 iso is what is required. and i do manual focusing, SDM is way to slow for me.

During this summer : 1600 iso, DA*55 @1.6, 1/500

In my gym : 1600 iso, DA*55, f2, 1/250

Last edited by aurele; 03-04-2013 at 11:59 AM.
03-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #1184
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The spring sports start up this week here at our high school. I shot tennis and girls' soccer yesterday using my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for the first time with outdoor sports. Once daylight savings time starts next week there should be more light. Here were some shots from the events. It is nice that I can actually shoot from the court for tennis in regular matches. I also can get pretty close for the soccer shots. Overall I think the Sigma has worked better for me than the Tamron I used last season.

Through the legs for a goal.

03-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #1185
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
@Ron,

How many un-level shots do you get when doing a game? I'm getting several because i'm not concentrating on the background.
About 99 % I guess since my own leveler in my head is way off balance.

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
i'm far from being any pro-photog or anything, but i shoot mainly outdoor climbing and bouldering.

My only little piece of advice is : try to get the facial expression of the climber because it's what's great IMHO (it often means that you'll get the end and a great part of the body in the frame too.)
This mean you have to be above the climber. which can be problematic as it seems.

The other way is to be placed latteraly, which is great for huge dyno mouvements. You'll say that you're going to be too much "on the ground" soooo ... ask the gym to lend you the double ladder they probably use when they decide to change the boulder's holds It's usually quite stable, quite tall (up to 2 to 3 meters !)

this sounds a great idea to me. You can also combine some wireless trigger and gorilla pod (to hold the flash to some holds ) and some diffuser on the flash to soften a bit the light.

And use the biggest aperture you have (obvious, i know ), i my experience of indoor or night comps is that a f2.8 or best f2 and 1600 iso is what is required. and i do manual focusing, SDM is way to slow for me.

During this summer : 1600 iso, DA*55 @1.6, 1/500

In my gym : 1600 iso, DA*55, f2, 1/250
Thanks for these images and advice. I'm afraid off hights (when on a ladder) so that is no option for me. No idea if it's possible to get a good view from above, nearby or from a distance. I'll see that at the event. I'm in with accreditation, so I'm gonna have some fun.