Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #1291
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Sigma 70-200 HSM
That's a great lens. Just look at what Ron has been doing with it. It's available grey, but CRK will also price-match, so it could work out lower than RRP, plus 2 yr warranty.

05-03-2013, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #1292
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Weather sealing is one reason to get the 60-250. I'd kind of like one myself.
As regards weather-sealing and generally shooting in the rain, please note that "weather-proof", "weather-sealed" or "weather-resistant" are not "water-proof".

My experience with Pentax with two WP bodies, K20D & K-5, and 1 WP lens, DA* 60-250/F4, shooting junior soccer and little athletics (LA) in the rain without any covering, is yes, it does work, but only for a certain amount of time. This will depend on the constancy of the rain and how often you change lenses.

Changing lenses is a bad idea because you let moist air into the body which can later condense.

Otherwise, at an all-day major event (8:30am – late afternoon, sometimes into the evening), I can go 3-6 hours in drizzle, with periods of heavy rain, before condensation inside the zoom lens becomes a problem.

If the lens does mist up, and there are non-rainy breaks, I've found I can clear internal moisture by wiping the rear element, if it's affected, and zooming in & out repeatedly with the lens off the camera (it's not an IF lens) to exchange the supersaturated moist area inside the zoom lens with the less moist air outside.

For rain, a prime lens, or a zoom with IF (internal focus – lens does not extend when zooming), would stand a better chance of staying dry because it's not repeatedly pumping air in & out.

Obviously, when I get home after a wet weather session, I leave the camera and lens out, without body & end caps, for about 24 hrs to ensure any moisture is gone to reduce fungus and corrosion problems.

I've noticed that the pro firm that regularly covers Queensland LA regional and state events, ImagesWithAttitude, has rain coats and hoods for their pro Canon bodies & L lenses.

It's important to keep the front of the lens dry. The funniest thing I've seen in the rain was a shooter with a L lens, but no lens hood. They were continually wiping the front of the lens with a towel, but I wonder what the shots were like between wipes. My 60-250 lens has a very deep hood (SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database) and, as long as it's not too gusty, the front of the lens stays dry. I shoot with a tripod, and when I change position I carry the tripod, with camera attached, over my shoulder with the heavy lens facing towards the ground. This way, water runs off the camera and lens, and the front of the lens stays dry.

The other problems with rainy days is shooting through the rain. You have to boost contrast and sometimes the black point, contrast centre & gamma, to reduce the "washed-out" look. With some events you may be shooting from a fair distance at a major event (unless you can get a field pass).

Different levels of sharpening will also smooth or emphasise the rain drop streaks.

Here are some rain shots.
dosdan's Album: Fun in the Rain - PentaxForums.com

In the last two (discus) shots, I'm using 250mm FL. The crop in the first discus shot is 44% (of full image) width and 48% height, so 21% of full sensor area. I've left a large amount of the surroundings in, to show the conditions. (The officials were using a leaf blower in the throwing ring, between throws, to reduce the depth of water, and so reduce slipping, but it wasn't very successful.) In the last discus shot, based on the known subject height, slight backwards crouch, AOV & FL (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/143778-subject-heigh...ml#post1747344), the camera was approx. 114m from the subject. Depending on how heavily the rain is falling, it may be difficult getting a decent shot at such a distance.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 05-03-2013 at 03:10 PM.
05-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #1293
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
My experience with Pentax with two WP bodies, K20D & K-5, and 1 WP lens, DA* 60-250/F4, shooting junior soccer and little athletics (LA) in the rain without any covering, is yes, it does work, but only for a certain amount of time. This will depend on the constancy of the rain and how often you change lenses.

Changing lenses is a bad idea because you let moist air into the body which can later condense.

Otherwise, at an all-day major event (8:30am late afternoon, sometimes into the evening), I can go 3-6 hours in drizzle, with periods of heavy rain, before condensation inside the zoom lens becomes a problem.
I have done a few shoots in the rain. With the 60-250 and the 300mm lenses. I also have one event with horses I'm going to every year and that is dustdustdust.

So descide wich gear to use and NEVER change your lens on the side, but only when coming home after the event. Always checque the ring that gives the wheater sealing that it is clean and no particles are between the ring and the camera mount.
05-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #1294
Pentaxian

Single horsepower, ecological/bio drive, at 65 km/h

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: [deleted]
05-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #1295
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Single horsepower
Well done!
05-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #1296
Inactive Account

K5lls/Pentax DA* 50mm - 135mm

I have had the K5lls for a few weeks now and have been shooting a lot of fast paced photography and can confirm that for me the K5lls is a big improvement over the original K5. I know it is not up to the Nikon D4 standard, but I just don't have that kind of money. However, I have just been provided with a press pass for a British Eventing event at Chatsworth House next weekend, so people obviously like the image from the K5lls and thats all the matters at the end of the day. Anyway, here is one from this weekend.

Last edited by Fletcher Davies; 05-08-2014 at 12:02 PM.
05-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #1297
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
A very difficult shot Matt & Ron but captured dramatically. Little or no motion blur too. But I thought the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 was a very sharp lens, at least mine is brutally sharp. And the WB is true to its nature, even though the stage area seems to be under some kind of near Tungsten lighting.
I appreciate that much of the sharpness is lost in re-sizing the photo. I wish I could have read the EXIF data.
I bought the Tammy brand new from B&H for $ 457 last August, in advance for a FF Pentax DSLR.
Regards.
Nanhi - from the far away enchanting land.
Yes, I find the 28-75 to be very sharp and you are right my dance shot was under some challenging conditions. If you click on my shot it will take you to Flickr where the exif is all viewable.
It was shot at 1/100s f/3.5 ISO 3200 at 50mm. So a pretty slow shutter and high ISO for lack of light. My keeper rate way maybe 1/3 or 1/4 so not a great hit rate. Know that I took a lot of shots and came back with some I was happy with. I've been getting good feedback but no print sales yet...
05-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #1298
Site Supporter

K5IIS with the Pentax * 50-135mm f2.8 of my daughter no flash ISO 3200.

Thanks for looking!

Randy

05-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #1299

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well it seems that the AF is getting faster and even AF-c will be faster so sports will be more possible. But then the little problem. Shooting in RAW (14-bit) in Hi-continius mode you can only make a burst of 8 frames before the buffer fills up.

The solution to that would be:
  1. Make it possible to choose between shooting RAW in either 14-bit or 12-bit
  1. Make the RAM buffer inside the K-5 bigger so that you can make at least 14 frames, but I prefer 21 wich is 3 seconds.

Thank tou Pentax!
Have you tried shooting at a smaller MP size or lower quality to see if that gives you more frames in a burst?
05-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #1300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
K-5IIs/Sigma 70-200 OS
Good grief this makes me want this camera!

Great capture!
05-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #1301
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
Have you tried shooting at a smaller MP size or lower quality to see if that gives you more frames in a burst?
considering the post dates from sept 2010, and considering there is some firmware update that enhanced the brust capability, i think your reply is a bit ... well .. out of date
05-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #1302
Pentaxian

Ron's post, which you've quoted, was written back in 2010. There was a subsequent K-5 firmware update that increased the buffer capacity for raw & high quality JPEGs to approx 20 shots:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/160077-k-5-continuous-shooting...ter-noise.html

BTW, 14-bit is only mildly useful up to ISO200. Above that the lowest two bits are junk. It would be better to automatically switch to 12-bit for mid-ISO+ shots. Also a form of intelligent lossy raw (e.g as implemented by Nikon) would be useful.

12bit vs 14bit RAW and compressed vs uncompressed… Does it matter? | francoisMalan
Noise, Dynamic Range and Bit Depth in Digital SLRs -- page 3

Also scroll down in the last link above to the section: An aside on "lossy" NEF compression

Dan.
05-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #1303
Loyal Site Supporter

Champions!

The news here is that my daughter's high school varsity team won their conference championship!

I got permission to shoot from the sidelines and, given the weather forecast (scattered showers), decided to take the two k-5s: Sigma 70-200/2.8 on the monopod and the Tamron 28-75/2.8 on a Black Rapid strap. I put an Op-Teck rainsleeve on the Sigma and kept the Tamron under my poncho. The forecast was accurate: there was drizzle mixed with sun at first and the game was interrupted for two hours early in the 2nd half by a thunderstorm. The gear seems to have come through ok but it was a bit challenging. One aggravation was that the rainsleeve made chimping impossible. Combined with the changing light conditions that that left me with some interesting PP challenges. Still, I was able to put together a collection of reasonably decent photos for the girls and their families.

It was a terrific team--skilled, flexible and cohesive and comprised of top-notch girls.

05-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #1304
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
The news here is that my daughter's high school varsity team won their conference championship!

I got permission to shoot from the sidelines and, given the weather forecast (scattered showers), decided to take the two k-5s: Sigma 70-200/2.8 on the monopod and the Tamron 28-75/2.8 on a Black Rapid strap. I put an Op-Teck rainsleeve on the Sigma and kept the Tamron under my poncho. The forecast was accurate: there was drizzle mixed with sun at first and the game was interrupted for two hours early in the 2nd half by a thunderstorm. The gear seems to have come through ok but it was a bit challenging. One aggravation was that the rainsleeve made chimping impossible. Combined with the changing light conditions that that left me with some interesting PP challenges. Still, I was able to put together a collection of reasonably decent photos for the girls and their families.

It was a terrific team--skilled, flexible and cohesive and comprised of top-notch girls.
Nice shots by you and congratulations to the champions.
05-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #1305
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This treath started before the camera was to the market and specs where different as stated in this this thread then when the first firmware update came.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote

Congrats on that victorie. Somehow lacrosse looks good in the images I see, but the few games I went to didn't gave me the magic. Maybe it is due to the low skills off the girls overhere.