Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
K-5 for sports-photography

Well it seems that the AF is getting faster and even AF-c will be faster so sports will be more possible. But then the little problem. Shooting in RAW (14-bit) in Hi-continius mode you can only make a burst of 8 frames before the buffer fills up.

The solution to that would be:
  1. Make it possible to choose between shooting RAW in either 14-bit or 12-bit
  1. Make the RAM buffer inside the K-5 bigger so that you can make at least 14 frames, but I prefer 21 wich is 3 seconds.

Thank tou Pentax!

09-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The specs on the buffer are still up in the air. The buffer may well be bigger, so stay tuned to our specs page! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-digital-slr-camera-reviews/114233-pentax-k-5-a.html

Perhaps the firmware update for the SDXC cards (SDXC - SD Association) will also increase the buffer and/or flash sync speed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moving to DSLR discussion since the K-5 is no longer a rumor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Banned

I wonder how much better it would be than the Sony A55 that has the same sensor.
Sony SLT-A55 Review - Translucent Mirror DSLR with 10fps & 1080p HD Movies

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_EdU4tB8Gk[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suqFcXaU5W8[/YT]

09-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I wonder how much better it would be than the Sony A55 that has the same sensor.
The K-5 would be much better in the rain!

I've never kept my finger on the button for 3 seconds and I shoot a lot of sport.
09-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I hope they do somehow increase the buffer for say wildlife shooters who need the maximum IQ of RAW while still doing a lot of rapid fire shooting. For sports, I will be happy that K-5 will finally be clean enough ISO that I can shoot JPGs instead of the RAW I currently use on the K-7 to keep the image noise down. For that matter, most professional newspaper shooters I know shoot JPGs as well because they have to file those photos fast.

QuoteQuote:
I've never kept my finger on the button for 3 seconds and I shoot a lot of sport.
I don't do a lot of machine gunning on my sports either, maybe 5 shot bursts at maximum. The combo of better focus and better ISO performance will be a much bigger deal to me.
09-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
maybe 5 shot bursts at maximum
That sounds like about me too, though with a higher frame rate that number may go up a bit.

It'll be interesting to see whether focus priority or fps priority would be the way to go for sports with the K-5. Some tests of people running straight at the camera are required!

09-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #8

I was told by a professional sports shooter (using Canon) that they always shoot JPEG, not RAW.
09-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by laissezfaire Quote
I was told by a professional sports shooter (using Canon) that they always shoot JPEG, not RAW.
Well for outdoors sports that is fine ofcourse. But for indoors sports where lights and dus whitebalance differs you can get more out of a picture shooting RAW. 8 frames is just over a second, so that is even for the only 5 frames with the K-7 at the maximum with no room left over for an extra frame (or 10).
09-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

for sports, my biggest concern is the shutter lag. with the k20d, its pretty much instantaneous.

also are there any "conditions" to use the 8fps?
09-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by laissezfaire Quote
Lucky I'm not a pro then!

I switched to raw because the players' uniforms are so contrasty, so the metering is tricky and not always right, but I have to leave it on auto as the conditions can change from second to second (clouds, players running in and out of shadows, into or away from the sun etc.) So by changing to raw I can correct better and reduce highlights and lift shadows easier than jpg. I also have no deadline!
09-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Lucky I'm not a pro then!

I switched to raw because the players' uniforms are so contrasty, so the metering is tricky and not always right, but I have to leave it on auto as the conditions can change from second to second (clouds, players running in and out of shadows, into or away from the sun etc.) So by changing to raw I can correct better and reduce highlights and lift shadows easier than jpg. I also have no deadline!
I'm with you on this. I'm definitely not a pro sports shooter, but I've shot some sports and I take the extra time to edit my RAW files for more control.
09-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I always shoot RAW for my motorcycle racing shots, especially given how godforsakenly bright it is out here in the desert.

I really hope the K-5's AF is somewhere near as good as the D700's... I'd love to be able to use my Pentax glass in sports shooting.
09-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I'd love to be able to use my Pentax glass in sports shooting
What drugs you on boy? There's Pentax glass for sports? Who would know? Oh, you mean second hand made years ago lenses.

Okay pentax, if you now have a sports camera, how about some new sports glass? (Not slow SDM either!) Hmmm....off to dear Pentax thread...
09-22-2010, 04:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suqFcXaU5W8[/YT]
This video nicely demonstrates why the "spray and pray" technique is bad for sports photography. Even at 10fps, it fails to capture the crucial moments. It is much better to use single-shot mode and anticipate the shots. In fact, this is what most sports photographers I know do.

Of course, for some situations, a fast burst can be very helpful, but you shouldn't rely on it for everything. A more crucial point is the lack of fast auto-focusing lenses. Let's hope the DA* series is retrofitted with the new "DC" magnetic motors.