Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
At the end of the day, if you are pro, you want to maximise the chances of getting that perfect shot. But if you are a hobbyist, then there's nothing wrong with Pentax cameras.
Here comes the biggest both Pentax and K-5 problem... Why would somebody bother investing in advanced-hobbyist-wannabe gear if a much more capable gear sell for about the same amount?

As a side note, K-5 is more than sport-capable... and 8-frames buffer is more than enough for just about anything... although to do something like this:

I'd prefer having a solid 3 seconds worth of buffer space.... Incidentally that example has exactly 8 frames in it... but it's a fast trick as well that usually takes about 1.5 seconds... an average kitesurfing jump is about 2 seconds...

But can somebody tell what a great sports-capable camera is good for with no lenses to attach it too? For instance, is there a 300mm 2.8 lens that will make that super-duper fast K-5's AF useful?... at all? Well... there's Sigma... but Sigma is Sigma....

Last edited by alexeyga; 10-05-2010 at 08:07 AM.
10-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
For instance, is there a 300mm 2.8 lens that will make that super-duper fast K-5's AF useful?... at all? Well... there's Sigma... but Sigma is Sigma....
FA*300mm f/2.8. Beautiful piece of glass.
Its a seriously good and seriously expensive lens, but anybody who wants/needs f/2.8 long telephoto should be prepared to pay for it.
There is also the DA*300 mm f/4.
Its "only" f/4, but at long telephoto ranges, it will do background separation quite effectively.
In terms of low-light capability, the K-5's High-ISO performance will more than compensate for the 1-stop difference.
10-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
FA*300mm f/2.8. Beautiful piece of glass.
Its a seriously good and seriously expensive lens, but if anybody who wants/needs f/2.8 long telephoto should be prepared to pay for it.
I'm sure it's a great piece of glass... i even saw one.. once... from far... but good luck finding one... Ca/Nikon's versions are easily available on both new and used markets... and are weather-sealed... in the contrary to FA.... yep.. that last part is just to pi$s-off WR "activists"....
10-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #49
Veteran Member

And the FA*300 is still available new, on order only.

Both FA* and DA* are weather-sealed.
Your lack of knowledge is showing through.....

Just a polite question....ummm....do you come here just to write negative stuff all the time about Pentax gear ?

10-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #50
Veteran Member

The question is, why would the average pentax shooter, that complains about a $1500 camera, buy a $5000 lens
10-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
And the FA*300 is still available new, on order only.

Both FA* and DA* are weather-sealed.
Your lack of knowledge is showing through.....

Just a polite question....ummm....do you come here just to write negative stuff all the time about Pentax gear ?
Just to prove my ignorance i've just spend 15 mins looking for FA* 300/2.8 specs... only found it on Chinese Pentax website, but nothing about weather sealing... well, there was a note saying that WR is available on FA* lenses from 300mm and up... on special order... could somebody confirm that?

As far as negativity goes... Take it as an alternative angle of view... Any brand specific forum is a lot like a country village where most villagers have never been anywhere beyond their village boarder... It takes somebody to show them that their village is not the center of the universe and there is life out there...

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
The question is, why would the average pentax shooter, that complains about a $1500 camera, buy a $5000 lens
You want to talk budget sports photography? Ok, 300mm f/4 is my workhorse... For the price of D7000 + AF ED 300mm f/4 (used) I could probably afford the K5 + fully manual SMS K 300/4... something ain't right...

Last edited by alexeyga; 10-05-2010 at 09:21 AM.
10-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It takes somebody to show them
We're so lucky to have you

10-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Just to prove my ignorance i've just spend 15 mins looking for FA* 300/2.8 specs... only found it on Chinese Pentax website, but nothing about weather sealing... well, there was a note saying that WR is available on FA* lenses from 300mm and up... on special order... could somebody confirm that?

As far as negativity goes... Take it as an alternative angle of view... Any brand specific forum is a lot like a country village where most villagers have never been anywhere beyond their village boarder... It takes somebody to show them that their village is not the center of the universe and there is life out there...

You want to talk budget sports photography? Ok, 300mm f/4 is my workhorse... For the price of D7000 + AF ED 300mm f/4 (used) I could probably afford the K5 + fully manual SMS K 300/4... something ain't right...
You are talking american prices, rest of the world seem to get the d7000 and the k-5 at the same price. Here you will get a DA*300 that will be stabilized and weathersealed for $100 more than the d7000 and a Nikon AF-S 300/4D IF-ED.

$100 for IS and WS. Not to bad
10-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #54
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'd prefer having a solid 3 seconds worth of buffer space.... Incidentally that example has exactly 8 frames in it... but it's a fast trick as well that usually takes about 1.5 seconds... an average kitesurfing jump is about 2 seconds...
First to say that is an awesome picture. I don't live near a beach, and we don't have that much sealife.

It's nice to read that you allsoo would like to have the same specs as wich I started this tread about. For me it's K-5 sportsphotography as a hobby, not professionally. But then again, I do want to go home with some awesome picture. So a little help from my gear would be nice next to working on my own skills.
10-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
You are talking american prices, rest of the world seem to get the d7000 and the k-5 at the same price. Here you will get a DA*300 that will be stabilized and weathersealed for $100 more than the d7000 and a Nikon AF-S 300/4D IF-ED.

$100 for IS and WS. Not to bad
Sorry to spoil the party, but I've mentioned the older AF ED f/4 which in exchange for WR and SR (useless for anything requiring stop motion anyways) features focus-range limiter and sells for ~400-500$ less than both DA*300/4 and AF-S 300/4... And still focuses faster than SDM will ever do... not bad...

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
First to say that is an awesome picture. I don't live near a beach, and we don't have that much sealife.

It's nice to read that you allsoo would like to have the same specs as wich I started this tread about. For me it's K-5 sportsphotography as a hobby, not professionally. But then again, I do want to go home with some awesome picture. So a little help from my gear would be nice next to working on my own skills.
Oh, that's not one of my pictures b.t.w... just used something I had as an example....

I live just as far from any coast... and on these rare occasions when I hit one, i'm mostly too hungry for wind and too busy riding... By the time I'm tired enough to go relax and take pictures, i'm too toasted to do anything at all... But as i've said in some other thread, I've started shooting that stuff with a K10d and the K 300/4 i've mentioned earlier... Got some awesome shots, but to do this kind of a time-lapse stacked shot, you need a reasonable framerate. And a reasonable buffer size....
10-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Here comes the biggest both Pentax and K-5 problem... Why would somebody bother investing in advanced-hobbyist-wannabe gear if a much more capable gear sell for about the same amount?
The EOS 1D Mark III and K10D are not selling for the same amount. RRP of the former is 5x the RRP of the latter.

Similar for the 1D Mark IV vs the K-5.

Even the Canon 7D is more expensive than the K-5 (I think) but a bit closer in price. But the 7D is nowhere near as capable as the 1D - yes, similar sensor, but not as usable (far harder to change settings) and lower fps/buffer.

I think in their price range Pentax cameras are fairly capable. The new Nikon D7000 looks good, but I would probably prefer a K-5 over the D7000.

What I like about Pentax cameras is the usability - the P and Hyper M modes, the twin rotary dials (the EOS 1D has twin rotary dials, but under most modes they both do the same function) - at the end of the day, usability is as important a factor in getting good shots as fps and frame buffer sizes. Try manually selecting a focus point on the EOS 1D - no where near as easy as on a Pentax.
10-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

As a side note, K-5 is more than sport-capable... and 8-frames buffer is more than enough for just about anything... although to do something like this:

But can somebody tell what a great sports-capable camera is good for with no lenses to attach it too? For instance, is there a 300mm 2.8 lens that will make that super-duper fast K-5's AF useful?... at all? Well... there's Sigma... but Sigma is Sigma....
As a keen sports photographer, that's the sort of photo I've wanted to do anyhow, so once again, get the gear to suit your purpose. And again on that theme, my Sigma sporting lens is superb. So no problem on those fronts. So what you complain about is of absolutely no relevance to me and obviously other sports shooters here.
10-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
As a keen sports photographer, that's the sort of photo I've wanted to do anyhow, so once again, get the gear to suit your purpose. And again on that theme, my Sigma sporting lens is superb. So no problem on those fronts. So what you complain about is of absolutely no relevance to me and obviously other sports shooters here.
I'm keen to try and see if someone can do something similar to that shot with a K10D - which can shoot 3 frames continuous in JPEG mode until the memory card is full (or battery is depleted).

1.5 seconds - should be able to get 4-5 frames?

Set up a tripod, long lens, manual focus set to infinity, and fire away at 3 fps.

Anyone willing to give it a try?
10-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Why would somebody bother investing in advanced-hobbyist-wannabe gear if a much more capable gear sell for about the same amount?
I'm sure it's a great piece of glass... i even saw one.. once... from far... but good luck finding one... Ca/Nikon's versions are easily available on both new and used markets... and are weather-sealed... in the contrary to FA.... yep.. that last part is just to pi$s-off WR "activists"....
Well since you've moved on to another brand and sold off your Pentax gear, I'm wondering why in the world are you still lurking around a forum dedicated to all things Pentax? I have no doubts Canikon can do the job but I find it interesting that many ex-Pentax users like yourself or Pentax users using other brands regularly come around to put in their two cents of negativity. I agree with Christine Tham on what she said. If you find something that works, good for you, but to be honest I found your earlier comment pretty condescending. The K-5 is not yet out in general release and sure Pentax may not readily have a strong long tele line-up but that doesn't make it any less capable.

Oh, that's not one of my pictures b.t.w... just used something I had as an example....
That just says it all about your credibility...
Do the right thing and post a credit instead of leeching somebody else's photo to prove your argument...
10-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Oh, for reference, this is what I was able to capture on K10D at 3fps: