Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2011, 02:02 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Just 1/800sec at f/8 using the DA 55-300 for those exposures Chris. Thanks for the compliment.
Thanks - went to the zoo today and used TAv mode at 1/2000 sec and f/4 - the results were pretty good (may post some photos once I process them) but sometimes the camera took a bit of time to focus (lens was DA*50-135mm).

All in all the K-5 is a lovely camera for freezing action - a friend of mine was using his EOS 1D Mk IV and I would say we are getting comparable shots based on us comparing results on the LCD screens.

I have a copy of his memory card so will be interesting to compare the photos in detail and see exactly what each camera saw.

04-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #77
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Thanks - went to the zoo today and used TAv mode at 1/2000 sec and f/4 - the results were pretty good (may post some photos once I process them) but sometimes the camera took a bit of time to focus (lens was DA*50-135mm).

All in all the K-5 is a lovely camera for freezing action - a friend of mine was using his EOS 1D Mk IV and I would say we are getting comparable shots based on us comparing results on the LCD screens.

I have a copy of his memory card so will be interesting to compare the photos in detail and see exactly what each camera saw.
Ash that are great pictures. In general I think for average actionshots 1/800th is fast enough most of the times. There is maybe some movement in it and that gives the picture some speed. At 1/640 pr 1/500th you get a bit more motion wich can be really great, but also quit some pictures to trow away.

I'm going to http://www.allfitgym.nl/wccsplash.jpg and have accreditation. So I'm excited for this since this is a new sport for me. Any tips for this on what to bring?

To the 50-135, that is a slow lens in AF but then again it is mainly a portrait lens.

There it is again the 1D Markt IV. It is on my list to discover. You can compare pictures from the backscreen, but I think in general for good lights both K-5 and 1D can compete in image quality, or am I wrong in this? But in AF that is one wondercamera. If I only had enough funding to run that camera next to my K-5.
04-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think in general for good lights both K-5 and 1D can compete in image quality, or am I wrong in this? But in AF that is one wondercamera. If I only had enough funding to run that camera next to my K-5.
I've processed quite a few photos from the 1D Mk IV on Lightroom, and I would say the Canon high end telephoto primes are sharper and crisper with better bokeh than any of the Pentax lenses, but one is paying many times the price so it's an unfair comparison.

On just raw image quality from the sensor I would agree they are comparable.

AF - surprisingly the K-5 is good. Really good. I took hundreds of photos in f4 in continuous mode, and very few (only a handful) are out of focus. The Canon focuses a lot quicker than the K-5, but that is a function of the lens rather than the camera - those high end Canon lenses are almost telepathic in how fast they focus - compared to that the DA* 50-135 is slow (but I'm still pretty happy with it).

The Canon has a better AF system (more AF points, more intelligent AF algorithms) but the K-5 despite its 11 point limitation is no slouch.

All in all the K-5 has probably the best AF Pentax has ever produced - in its price class I think it compares favourably to similar offerings from Nikon and Canon. Don't be fooled by marketing numbers like AF points and 3D focus etc. etc. - at the end of the day it's how usable the camera feels in a real world situation and ratio of keepers to duds for a typical shoot.
04-02-2011, 04:11 AM   #79
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ron, indeed as Christine says the 50-135 will be your limiting factor. SDM AF speed will be no faster (as no doubt you've already realised) and something as simple as a screwdriven telephoto prime such as your FA* 85 (that is one of the best ever made) would be absolutely brilliant on your K-5. For events such as boxing matches, where you can be at a fixed distance away from the action, the 85 may be the way to go if you can distance yourself adequately from the action.

04-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #80
Banned

Original Poster
Thanks Ash and Christine. Well I have no idea about where I can go or can't. Also still waiting for my second K-5. So I hope the 85mm will give me everything I want. For small space I have some shorter lenses. It's a fightnight so there are some oppertunitys to practice.

And Christine, wich primes are you talking about with the 1D. I was looking into the 85/1.8 and the 135/2 for indoor sports. If the total package just wasn't so expensive.
04-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #81
Veteran Member

And Christine, wich primes are you talking about with the 1D. I was looking into the 85/1.8 and the 135/2 for indoor sports. If the total package just wasn't so expensive.
I was playing with the L series lenses - EF USM: 200 f/2.8, 135 f/2, 100 f/2

Don't worry - they are not mine (I can't afford those kind of lenses) - I borrowed them (as well as the camera) from my friend.

The Canon consumer lenses are nothing special - I prefer Pentax to them.

There's also the EF200 f/2 which is just crazy - I have not used it because it's way too big and heavy for me, by my friend tells me it leaves the 200 f/2.8 in the dust in terms of quality and focusing speed.
04-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #82
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I usually anticipate the action and have the lens pre-focused to the general vicinity, which makes the time from start of focus to shutter release almost immediate for the K-5 under those good lighting conditions.
I use the same technique for my action shots. While I would love to have access to 20+ shots even iof jpeg from a K5 I have made do with my K200D and now KR with ok results so the K5 should do it with ease.
K200D w/-Sigma 70-300 DG APO

KR w/-Sigma 70-300 DG APO

04-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Thanks Ash and Christine. Well I have no idea about where I can go or can't. Also still waiting for my second K-5. So I hope the 85mm will give me everything I want. For small space I have some shorter lenses. It's a fightnight so there are some oppertunitys to practice.

I got a 77 limited F1.8 its great for fights (i shoot boxing a few times a year) and combine that with a 50 F1.4 for the "wider stuff" works great, granted im shooting ring-side between the ropes. I also use a 70-200 for shots from "the stands" of the fight and ocasionally a 16-50 or my 24 F2 if I want really wide stuff ring-side
04-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #84

Infact the biggest Problem for the Pentax AF-System is the Lens it hast to move, when you connect a Sigma 70-200 /f2,8 on the K5 you do have a realy fast combination, sure it is no match for the Nikon or Canon glasses, but actually it just costs 1/4 of them (at least in Germany)
The "newer OS-Version" is more comparable but a bit cheaper then CaNikon.

I in fact would like to see Pentax building a realy fast and good telephoto lens, but i think we will have to wait a long time for that.
I do even think that something "normal" like 500 f5,6 with a good AF and weather sealed would be a good thing , maybe a Zoom 250-500 oder 300-500.
04-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
Infact the biggest Problem for the Pentax AF-System is the Lens it hast to move, when you connect a Sigma 70-200 /f2,8 on the K5 you do have a realy fast combination, sure it is no match for the Nikon or Canon glasses, but actually it just costs 1/4 of them (at least in Germany)
The "newer OS-Version" is more comparable but a bit cheaper then CaNikon.

I in fact would like to see Pentax building a realy fast and good telephoto lens, but i think we will have to wait a long time for that.
I do even think that something "normal" like 500 f5,6 with a good AF and weather sealed would be a good thing , maybe a Zoom 250-500 oder 300-500.

I tested the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and it was too slow for me.

I don't think any Pentax or third party lens can match the speed and accuracy of USM - Canon invented it and has a slew of patents preventing anyone from copying it.

But I'm too much of a cheapskate to really invest in Canon - and it's all too heavy and bulky for me. What I really like about Pentax is the size of the K-5 (it's roughly the same size and weight as my first DSLR - the *ist D) and the DA/FA limited lenses are a joy to use.
04-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #86
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A fine series from the K200D Nobbys Nuts.
Christine, you might like to try the Tamron 70-200 on your K-5 - I ran it through some pretty tough low-light conditions (concert lighting) and it was a very responsive AF combination.
04-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #87
Forum Member

These shot were taken on the Gold Coast a while back, unfortunately not taken with a K5 as the keeper rate may have been slightly better.
K7 DA*60-250 f/4 @ 250mm 640/ - 800/sec ISO 100 handheld.

AF-C center point AF, tracking kite surfers towards the camera.
I did manage to get some keepers from the set, but quite a few were OOF.

The lens is great but the SDM is still lacking compared to whats out their.

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by VHDEL; 04-03-2011 at 07:33 AM.
04-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #88
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

VHDEL, these are again spectacular captured under such harsh lighting conditions - the 60-250 just shines in this setting. The K-7 certainly did alright with these, but we'll see how you go when you finally go with the K-5.
04-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those are some epic shots VHDEL. Goes to show that it is the skill of the photographer to bring out the best with their camera that wins in the end most of the time.
04-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #90

Hi, I'm a newbie on this forum. I've got a Canon outfit, but am seriously thinking of switching to Pentax. While the Canon telephoto primes are great, I find the total weight of the gear I'm lugging around (13 pounds/6kgs for a body and three lenses+TC+filters) is just too much for me now. It's OK for a short while, but after a couple of hours you really know it's there. Airline carry-on weight limits are a problem too - one European airline limits it to 6 kilos. Peter