Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Nice film Ron !
So we agree that we need 12 fps
09-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #213
Veteran Member

Ron, you've shown a lot of great work in this thread. Sports is not easy. It's especially not easy when I'm trying to do it with a K10d like I am! I'm hoping to move to a K-5 soon. Can you please share some of your tips on how to best capture action? If you already did this earlier in this thread or in another thread, then pointing us there would be fine.

Things I am looking for are things like:

1) Do you always use center point, or something else?
2) How do you decide on aperature to shoot at? I'm always trying to go as big as possible for subject isolation, but I find that the AF-C performance is not good enough, and the shallow DOF results in too many OOF shots.
3) Do you try to follow action through the viewfinder, or do you look around the cam with cam in general action area ready?
4) I find that I have trouble with using center point focusing where if the subject is not big enough in the frame then it's tough to keep them in the center and in focus, versus if I zoom in a lot, then I wind up with too many body parts cut off.

Any tips you can share would be great.
09-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #214
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So we agree that we need 12 fps
You need to improve your timing - you're about a tenth of a second off!

Seriously, that's a very cool sequence. Well done!

09-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #215
Veteran Member

A few shots from the hundreds I'm still sorting through from the Shanghai Rugby Sevens last weekend ...... I was second shooter to a Pro so I must admit with a media pass I had great pitch-side access.

09-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #216
Veteran Member

hehe, I recently shot Rugby as well. Not has Highclass, but fun anyway. Btw. my friends in black/yello won Lens was the Sigma 70-300 OS - a real bargain!

Rugby 8 von Ineound auf Flickr

Rugby 4 von Ineound auf Flickr

Rugby 3 von Ineound auf Flickr

Rugby 1 von Ineound auf Flickr

There is more on my blog and on FlickR...
09-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #217
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Things I am looking for are things like:

1) Do you always use center point, or something else?
2) How do you decide on aperature to shoot at? I'm always trying to go as big as possible for subject isolation, but I find that the AF-C performance is not good enough, and the shallow DOF results in too many OOF shots.
3) Do you try to follow action through the viewfinder, or do you look around the cam with cam in general action area ready?
4) I find that I have trouble with using center point focusing where if the subject is not big enough in the frame then it's tough to keep them in the center and in focus, versus if I zoom in a lot, then I wind up with too many body parts cut off.

Any tips you can share would be great.
1) I use the SEL, but on some games I don't change the AF point. But I sometimes do that just during shooting with the fourwhiel. With AF-C I use 5-AF points since it does give just a little more controll. I only need a faster focussinbg lens to have that function working well.
2) On a game like this (soccer) there is no other option then wide-open. When there is light enough I want certain shots. When I have them I start to make some goofy shots varying aperture and shuttertime. Those shots are sometimes only for the bin. On your K10D you can't use AF-C for anything faster then a snake-race.
3) I tend to follow true the viewfinder. Problem is that you loose track of the game. So taking a pause from it and looking around is good. I sometimes descide to just follow one player, ignoring the rest and hoping for one good shot (wich can be very frustating).
4) I don't mind cutting of body parts (I got remarks about that on another forum). But you do need to catch the escense of either the game or the sporter and that is difficult. I also do focus en reframe, but that sometimes means blurred pictures when I'm to haisty.

O and I do make a lot of pictures. Many more then some of you think. The learning is also in the shots you miss or are just failures.

From the womens final in Antwerpen.

128mm at close focus

85mm at f1.4

85mm at f1.8

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
You need to improve your timing - you're about a tenth of a second off!

Seriously, that's a very cool sequence. Well done!
The problem is that I'm often looking for the picture that is just in between two shots. I know that with 12 fps that wont change I want a camera that delivers 30 fps at full resolution, and maybe then I'm satisfied

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
A few shots from the hundreds I'm still sorting through from the Shanghai Rugby Sevens last weekend ...... I was second shooter to a Pro so I must admit with a media pass I had great pitch-side access.
That is a fantastic serie of pictures. I'm still a little lost on a big field but have plans for coming months to work on that.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 09-02-2011 at 03:13 PM.
09-03-2011, 04:23 AM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tend to follow true the viewfinder. Problem is that you loose track of the game
Hi
You have two eyes (I hope), use them. One eye for the viewfinder the other is looking past the camera. Try it, its not easy, but with a bit of practice you will master it. I know for certain that some sports photographers do it. It is not so good if you wear eye glasses and you have to take them off and use the diopter adjustment. (Or use contact lenses) Also an eye cup will help. Not so good for manual focusing either. But anyway in this sort of photography you shoot hundreds of pics don't you so one will be good enough to make the paper.
I have to admit though it may not be everyone's thing but at least give it a try, I am sure you will be surprised.
Greetings
09-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #219
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
You have two eyes (I hope), use them. One eye for the viewfinder the other is looking past the camera. Try it, its not easy, but with a bit of practice you will master it. I know for certain that some sports photographers do it. It is not so good if you wear eye glasses and you have to take them off and use the diopter adjustment. (Or use contact lenses) Also an eye cup will help. Not so good for manual focusing either. But anyway in this sort of photography you shoot hundreds of pics don't you so one will be good enough to make the paper.
I have to admit though it may not be everyone's thing but at least give it a try, I am sure you will be surprised.
Greetings
I sometimes do that, but my main eyesight is from my left eye wich I use to look true the viewfinder and my righteye is then blocked with the camera. Looking with my righteye true the viewfinder makes my eyes tired after a short wile. Would be great to have it the other way around.

Just looking at a game also gives you a great idea of how it is playing and who is important. So that improves coming shots also.
09-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

... but my main eyesight is from my left eye wich I use to look true the viewfinder ...

Of course, it never occurred to me that some people use their left eye to peer through the viewfinder. But I just tested it, it also works this way. But as I said, it's not everyone's cup of tea and it takes some practice.

Greetings
09-04-2011, 05:18 AM   #221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
a couple select photos from the baltimore grand prix. I'm shooting a k-5 with tamron adaptall lenses. Specifically the 17/3.5, the 35-80/2.8-3.8, 80-200/2.8 and the 500/8.

the first and last are on the 80-200, the second and third are on the 500mm mirror

glowing of ceramic brakes; 500mm at about 60 feet, took a long time to get this shot right

09-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #222
Banned

Original Poster
That mirror ain't so bad. It is still a little dark, so maybe just a little twitch in the red channel to boost te glow. But a fantastic shot.
09-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #223
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Otis was pretty disappointed with my Squirrel Sprint Race shot of him...he did say it was more the shooter (that would be me) than the K5, and suggested that I take several hundred practice shots of those girls playing volleyball and let him view my progress. Sounds like a winner to me......Otis is one sharp Squirrel.....well, he is when you shoot him right!

[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards! You guys have posted some really fine shots in this thread...I'm impressed!
09-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #224
Banned

Original Poster
Did some soccer last friday. First division womens.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

Still have to work on my way of developing these pictures in a faster way and to polish them Also in need for a good fast telelens. All in process.
09-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #225
Veteran Member

You've posted some great shots over the past two pages Ron - these are excellent shots again !

However the noise is a little too intrusive for my taste (from cropping ?) so personally I'd happily except a little less detail by smoothing out the noise.