Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #751
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
I took this picture last Sunday at a synchronized swimming practice. NO CASE, just prefocus and dipped the camera into the water and took some shots.
Pentax K-5, DA* 16-50, ISO800, F5.6, 1/1000

I did find it difficult to get a good edit. Weather was a little gray so there wasn't much sun. Any tips appreciated
That is a fantastic shot. Well I discussed this before with someone and our conclusion was that dipping the K-5 with a seald lens up to 30 cm wouldn't cause any problems. It is all about pressure and at that level things aren't so difficult for the sealing. Still it takes stregth to do such a thing!

Credits for this!

05-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #752
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome stuff.
I will never worry about the water sprays at the Big Day Out again.
05-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #753
Veteran Member

Yes the camera (and lens) still works. Didn't have a plastic bag with me that day. I've done it before and if you are quick and dry it after taking the pics then nothing happens.

Next time you do that make sure there's a support shooter with you to record the horrified looks of other photographers. Line up a few Nikon and Canon pro's and watch their jaws hit the ground.
05-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #754
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did find it difficult to get a good edit. Weather was a little gray so there wasn't much sun. Any tips appreciated
Hi

The comment " bo**s" of steel comes to mind. Looks like you got away with it.

Not sure what advice you are after. If it is the strong inky blue colour you are trying to deal with I do not think weather has much to do with it. Correct underwater W/B is tricky.
But I had a go at it in OLONEOPhotoEngine. Just reduced the blue and green channel and lowered the overall colour temperature. Is this what you were after ?

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:50 AM.
05-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #755

Thanks guys for the comments. Too bad this was just a practice so I was the only photographer and not many arrive at competitions, it's not a popular sport here. I do clean my camera when it gets dirty on motocross competitions (tons of dust) by throwing water over it. A few Canikon shooters have seen me..and gave me the look! It's too funny!
Next time I'll do a video or get someone to take some pics of the "dunk".

Schraubstock, as for the editing of the picture I guess that it's just that I'm not used to underwater colors. I just wanted to remove some of the bluish cast from the girls, I should have used layers and do a selection. Thanks!
05-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #756
Veteran Member

Schraubstock, as for the editing of the picture I guess that it's just that I'm not used to underwater colors. I just wanted to remove some of the bluish cast from the girls, I should have used layers and do a selection. Thanks!
The deeper the subject is under water (or the more distance you are from the subject under the water), the more blue the subject will appear due to spectrum falloff, most notably the red - if you were doing underwater photog a lot then you would be looking into flash and specialized lighting...

underwater lighting fundamentals and color temperature|Underwater Photography Guide

---
05-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #757
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
These underwater shots are amazing! Pentax needs a video of the whole procedure, plus verification of the happy outcome for an ad! My Cousin Don, a faithful Canon shooter, will be amazed when I send him this thread. Truly you have cojones of the finest steel.

05-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #758

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
These underwater shots are amazing! Pentax needs a video of the whole procedure, plus verification of the happy outcome for an ad! My Cousin Don, a faithful Canon shooter, will be amazed when I send him this thread. Truly you have cojones of the finest steel.
Thanks! For sure next time I do it I'll get it all on video. Let us know what your cousin said about the pics!!! lol
05-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #759
Pentaxian

U10 Soccer Action

Our goalie had a lot of action this match. It was cloudy, so the light was not as strong as I would have liked. Noise was a problem in some shots, so I haven't sharpened them much.

Shots 1-10, DA* 60-250/F4, 1/800s, f/5.6.

1. ISO640

2. ISO400

3. ISO640

4. ISO640

5. ISO320

6. ISO400. A two-shot save sequence

7. ISO500

8. ISO400. Another two-shot save sequence. First shot is very soft, but necessary to explain the 2nd shot.

9. ISO400. This was a deflection of the incoming ball shown in shot #8, not a kick-off.

10. ISO320

Final 2 shots, Sigma 70-200/F2.8 II, 1/1000s, f/2.8, ISO80.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 05-31-2012 at 01:05 PM.
05-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #760
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

The comment " bo**s" of steel comes to mind. Looks like you got away with it.

Not sure what advice you are after. If it is the strong inky blue colour you are trying to deal with I do not think weather has much to do with it. Correct underwater W/B is tricky.
But I had a go at it in OLONEOPhotoEngine. Just reduced the blue and green channel and lowered the overall colour temperature. Is this what you were after ?

Greetings
Mind = Blown.

You are brave, thats all i can say.

I have had a crack at the colour balance which I agree is very tricky, especially when the swimmers have blue/ purple on their swim suit. What you might be best to do is select the swimmers as a separate layer and adjust them separately to the rest of the pool, that way you can get the colours correct and contrast etc except the bubbles will make like tough there.

Edit:
Woops I should tell you what I did (in lightroom)
White balance:
Temp +75 yellows
Tint: +98 reds
Vibrance: +26
Saturation: -36

Individual colour channels:
Blue: +50 saturation
Aqua: - 48 Saturation
Green: - 100 Sat
Red: -5 sat
Magenta +100 hue, -34 sat
Purple: -86 hue, -100 sat
Attached Images

Last edited by Chaos_Realm; 05-28-2012 at 09:49 PM.
05-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #761
Pentaxian

The USA Pro Cycling Championship was held on May 28 and the route was just a few blocks from my house so I took a few shots.

The lead pack on the second of four laps was bunched up. They are pretty much cruising on this stretch getting ready to start the big climb up the mountain few a couple of miles from here.

The chase group was a couple of minutes behind at this point.

Quite the parade as they passed.

The Competitive Cycling team took the top four spots coming by on the final lap but faded climbing the mountain.

A helicopter followed and provided video footage for the online streaming which made it nice to know when to arrive on each lap for shooting.

05-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #762
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Our goalie had a lot of action this match. It was cloudy, so the light was not as strong as I would have liked. Noise was a problem in some shots, so I haven't sharpened them much.

Shots 1-10, DA* 60-250/F4, 1/800s, f/5.6.

1. ISO640

2. ISO400

3. ISO640

4. ISO640

5. ISO320

6. ISO400. A two-shot save sequence

7. ISO500

8. ISO400. Another two-shot save sequence. First shot is very soft, but necessary to explain the 2nd shot.

9. ISO400.

10. ISO320

Final 2 shots, Sigma 70-200/F2.8 II, 1/1000s, f/2.8, ISO80.

Dan.
Haha, nice sequence with the blurry shot.
QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
The USA Pro Cycling Championship was held on May 28 and the route was just a few blocks from my house so I took a few shots.

The lead pack on the second of four laps was bunched up. They are pretty much cruising on this stretch getting ready to start the big climb up the mountain few a couple of miles from here.

The chase group was a couple of minutes behind at this point.

Quite the parade as they passed.

The Competitive Cycling team took the top four spots coming by on the final lap but faded climbing the mountain.

A helicopter followed and provided video footage for the online streaming which made it nice to know when to arrive on each lap for shooting.

Really good pics,you caught the battle and energy in many of them.
05-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #763
Veteran Member

A couple of shots from a local dragon boat race. I really miss my sigma 70-200 (which should arrive back tomorrow) after seeing all that awful CA from the Tamron 70-300.

06-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #764
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Mind = Blown.

You are brave, thats all i can say.

I have had a crack at the colour balance which I agree is very tricky, especially when the swimmers have blue/ purple on their swim suit. What you might be best to do is select the swimmers as a separate layer and adjust them separately to the rest of the pool, that way you can get the colours correct and contrast etc except the bubbles will make like tough there.

Edit:
Woops I should tell you what I did (in lightroom)
White balance:
Temp +75 yellows
Tint: +98 reds
Vibrance: +26
Saturation: -36

Individual colour channels:
Blue: +50 saturation
Aqua: - 48 Saturation
Green: - 100 Sat
Red: -5 sat
Magenta +100 hue, -34 sat
Purple: -86 hue, -100 sat

This is pretty good getting the white balance back to more normal colors. Good job!
06-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #765
Banned

Original Poster
EC Beachvolleybal

A little bit busy at the time, but I did make a lot of sports images over the past weeks.

This is Katrien Gielen, Belgium beachvolley player (Team Mouha/Gielen) at the EC Beachvolleybal in The Netherlands. They lost this game from the Dutch team Keizer-vanIersel who became champion today.