Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #1246
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I watched a fun end of season event yesterday called Kayaks on Snow at Monarch Mountain. It's like a sledding race in kayaks with a water finish. They did an elimination tournament all afternoon yesterday. Pretty entertaining and made me glad for sealed gear!
Looks like a lot off fun.

04-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #1247
Inactive Account

Ron, I would also love to hear your thoughts on the k5 II vs k5!
Best Regards,
Jan
04-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #1248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fletcher Davies Quote
K-5 for sports-photography

I attended a British Eventing event last year and took this image with a K5 and DA* 200mm, I think if you use good technique the K5 is fine for sports photography. I now have a K5lls which I will be using in May for another British Eventing event as I will have a press pass, so I will come back to this post and keep folks updated.
That's one superb horseback sports shot! The perfect moment for a shot and great lighting.
04-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #1249
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
How so Ron?
QuoteOriginally posted by jani80 Quote
Ron, I would also love to hear your thoughts on the k5 II vs k5!
Best Regards,
Jan
The camera works fine. I just rescently switcht from the K-5 Silver to the K-5 II (bought in december) as my main camera.

The joke on this was that it isn't a women's sport that I presented. I was sitting down by the pool at the Swimcup and that was the worst place to choose. So only water iin my frames and hunks next to the pool

04-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #1250
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The camera works fine. I just rescently switcht from the K-5 Silver to the K-5 II (bought in december) as my main camera.

The joke on this was that it isn't a women's sport that I presented. I was sitting down by the pool at the Swimcup and that was the worst place to choose. So only water iin my frames and hunks next to the pool
HAHAHA
Do you feel that the AF is much better on the II? Is there any significant changes to the better?

Jan
04-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #1251
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jani80 Quote
HAHAHA
Do you feel that the AF is much better on the II? Is there any significant changes to the better?

Jan
Well there is with a fast lens. I did noticed a difference with my Sigma 70-200mm/f2.8 in a very dark environment. Also with the FA*85mm. But for this with the DA*300mm/f4 I would say that I don't see the difference, except maybe that it is a littler more descisive, but that is not a problem in a pool where swimmers stay in their lane. So I would say for this event there is no advantage (to my noticing).
04-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #1252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kite buggying in the California - Nevada desert, Ivanpah Dry Lake. K-5 with DA 18-135

04-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #1253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Kite buggying in the California - Nevada desert, Ivanpah Dry Lake. K-5 with DA 18-135

What the!?
I've never seen anything close to this!
04-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #1254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
What the!?
I've never seen anything close to this!
It is a precursor to Kite Surfing. My wife and I have been kite-buggying since the late 90's.

We are blessed with large dry lakes in the western US that provide good wind and expansive areas to run.

In other parts of the world it is mainly done on beaches at low tide, but every year in April there is a gathering at Ivanpah where folks come from all over the world.

This is not my video but gives a good idea of the speed you feel. At 3:00 you can see other buggiers to get a sense for how it is done. Cheers!

04-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #1255
Banned

Original Poster
Nice set, I like the #1 the most.

We have at least one club overhere, but they do their thing on a large beach.
04-12-2013, 04:29 AM   #1256
Veteran Member

It is a precursor to Kite Surfing. My wife and I have been kite-buggying since the late 90's.

We are blessed with large dry lakes in the western US that provide good wind and expansive areas to run.

In other parts of the world it is mainly done on beaches at low tide, but every year in April there is a gathering at Ivanpah where folks come from all over the world.

This is not my video but gives a good idea of the speed you feel. At 3:00 you can see other buggiers to get a sense for how it is done. Cheers!

Ivanpah buggy gathering spring 2013 - YouTube
Yeah, i think it comes down to the lack of good kite-buggying sites around here. Though we got ice-kiting instead, I just thught the buggys looked so fun!
04-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #1257
Veteran Member

American College Football in the Spring

A few shots from the University of Michigan spring football game. It's actually an intra-squad scrimmage. Had to use my 3rd best lens due to restrictions on what can be carried into the stadium without photographer credentials. Would have been nice to have more light, but isn't that frequently the case?

04-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #1258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How could such shots have been taken without a full frame camera and with the K-5's dismal AF?

Just kidding. Your series shows really great captures of the sport and the moment.

- Craig
04-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #1259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
How could such shots have been taken without a full frame camera and with the K-5's dismal AF?

Just kidding. Your series shows really great captures of the sport and the moment.

- Craig
Thanks!
04-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #1260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A friend of mine has done kite buggying on the windy beaches of holland but he has never told me he could fly with those buggies.
That's a great shot crewl1, just shows you can handle your gear as well as the guy can handle his kite