Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #1501
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

09-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #1502
Veteran Member

Sage,

Your volleyball photos are definitely better than mine were. Looks like you had a good deal of light in that gym. I was shooting at ISO 6400, f 3.5, 1/500th. What were you getting for yours?
09-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #1503
Veteran Member

Too many photos like this!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #1504
Veteran Member

Took some high school football pics today. I was very happy with today's set.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by jake14mw; 01-11-2016 at 10:52 AM.
09-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #1505
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Sage,

Your volleyball photos are definitely better than mine were. Looks like you had a good deal of light in that gym. I was shooting at ISO 6400, f 3.5, 1/500th. What were you getting for yours?
Thanks Jake but I was wrong. I used my Tamron 70-200 for my football pics but not for my volleyball pics. I brought it with me but I ended up using my 43mm. This maybe the biggest difference. It's hard to get the ball in the pic when you're super zoomed in. Maybe try a wider lens and crop to taste? I also shot in continuous mode and shot a few milliseconds before and after the "action" shot.

It took me awhile to adjust my settings because the lighting was bad. I ended up going back and forth from 800 to 1600 ISO (higher settings result in too much noise for my taste) and opened up my apertures close to your settings. I also went back and forth from 1/500 to 1/400 to 1/320 which is why some pics show more movement blur on the ball. I shoot raw and thank goodness for Lightroom's ability to adjust lighting.

Hope this helps.
09-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #1506
Veteran Member

Has anyone else been frustrated by this? Is there some setting that could have been affecting it?
Is this after firing off a burst of shots at high ISO? It's worth noting that high ISO files are [often significantly] larger than low ISO files, whether they be JPG or RAW. Pushing all that extra data into the buffer, through the camera circuitry, and into the SD card will take extra time. The 7 fps for the K-5 is measured at ISO 100.
09-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #1507
Veteran Member

Too many photos like this!
EXIF for that photo says: 'K-5 Ver 1.12'. Maybe it's time for an update.

The K-5 firmware is up to v1.15 now. It may make some difference to camera and AF performance.

09-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #1508
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
Thanks Jake but I was wrong. I used my Tamron 70-200 for my football pics but not for my volleyball pics. I brought it with me but I ended up using my 43mm. This maybe the biggest difference. It's hard to get the ball in the pic when you're super zoomed in. Maybe try a wider lens and crop to taste? I also shot in continuous mode and shot a few milliseconds before and after the "action" shot.

It took me awhile to adjust my settings because the lighting was bad. I ended up going back and forth from 800 to 1600 ISO (higher settings result in too much noise for my taste) and opened up my apertures close to your settings. I also went back and forth from 1/500 to 1/400 to 1/320 which is why some pics show more movement blur on the ball. I shoot raw and thank goodness for Lightroom's ability to adjust lighting.

Hope this helps.
Oh, OK, that makes more sense then. Thanks. Working with such high ISO, I do try to shoot as tight as possible, because cropping with that amount of grain just starts to look too grainy for me. I don't like the amount of noise uncropped even.
09-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #1509
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Is this after firing off a burst of shots at high ISO? It's worth noting that high ISO files are [often significantly] larger than low ISO files, whether they be JPG or RAW. Pushing all that extra data into the buffer, through the camera circuitry, and into the SD card will take extra time. The 7 fps for the K-5 is measured at ISO 100.
Actually, no, this is on the first shot. I don't shoot too many big bursts. I don't usually shoot at ISO 6400, so I wonder if there is something about exceeding the 3200 threshold that makes a difference? I will test that out the next time I do it. It could simply be that I know basketball much better, so anticipating ball movement is much easier for me. Also, the ball moves at a higher rate of speed of speed with volleyball. Practice will probably help.
09-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #1510
Veteran Member

EXIF for that photo says: 'K-5 Ver 1.12'. Maybe it's time for an update.

The K-5 firmware is up to v1.15 now. It may make some difference to camera and AF performance.
Wow, I didn't realize I was three versions back, time to upgrade, thanks.
09-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #1511
Pentaxian

Oh, OK, that makes more sense then. Thanks. Working with such high ISO, I do try to shoot as tight as possible, because cropping with that amount of grain just starts to look too grainy for me. I don't like the amount of noise uncropped even.
If I have to shoot tight, I'd shoot in continuous and hope that I get lucky enough to get a shot with the ball in the ideal spot. I still think it would be too difficult because I'd spend most of your time trying to catch the players in the frame. They move around too much.
09-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #1512
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's worth noting that high ISO files are [often significantly] larger than low ISO files,
Didn't know that--good to know.

Working with such high ISO, I do try to shoot as tight as possible, because cropping with that amount of grain just starts to look too grainy for me.
Right.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
They move around too much.
Seriously--why can't they just stand still? ;~)

. Practice will probably help.
To a point. Also try meditation--shooting action in crappy light takes its toll on the soul.
09-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #1513
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wow lots of nice images. I haven't been here in a while. I do still take sports images, but not so much the last months. I'm a bit more picky on wich games to follow and wich ones I just go and sit in the audience. I'm looking more into the value off the images and some games simply never can make a sale on an image. The womens soccer league started again, but there are some changes to this. Fridaynight (before fridaynight and saturday afternoon split the games) is the gameday and some off the teams aren't playing in a stadium anymore, so working light is not to good on many games. So I only go to games in a stadium and when both teams are very good and other games I don't take images from. It's just a waist of my expensive cameragear I think.

I'm busy to make a little photobook on one off the players. So busy with photoshooting, working on images and I still have to take the interview. Together it will make a nice book that people could even buy. In this way I have a project with some value and I can send out pressreleases.
09-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #1514
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Seriously--why can't they just stand still? ;~)
And smile while they're at it.

Last edited by Sage97; 09-17-2013 at 11:44 AM.
09-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #1515
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's nice to shoot a game that starts early enough to have good light. Here are some shots from this afternoon.