Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #1531
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You grass is really fresh and green....
My other take on the comment...
Actually, they are hard core soccer playing young ladies, who love the game. I have followed them for past 4 or more years.
The images of holding, or the elbow in the back, are just some things that happen in the game. They get called for some, not the others...

Cheers.

09-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #1532
Inactive Account

Sorry guys no ball of any kind, but I thought I would post another equine image. Taken on 21st September at The Allerton Park Horse Trials Event 2013. I am trying to capture images of equine events a little differently, I thought the back lighting worked well on this occasion. let me know what you think. Many Thanks Fletcher8https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/209263-post-your-k5iis-pictures-here-43.html
09-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #1533
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
My other take on the comment...
Actually, they are hard core soccer playing young ladies, who love the game. I have followed them for past 4 or more years.
The images of holding, or the elbow in the back, are just some things that happen in the game. They get called for some, not the others...

Cheers.
O, but I see lots of minor or major faults, so that is part of a game.
09-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #1534
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Petey44 Quote
This lens is a perfect match for the K5!! My old Tamron 70-200mm SP F2.8 is history!! Fast, decisive focusing makes it a pleasure to use. Friday night lights have never been so awesome!!! ALL SHOT AT 6400 ISO!
Ditto to that. The Sigma is a very impressive tool.
Great work...like it a lot.

09-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #1535

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Ditto to that. The Sigma is a very impressive tool.
Great work...like it a lot.
Yes, it's one of the best lens purchases to date. Very quick and never misses a beat!!
09-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #1536

Ocean sports

So far I've only photographed ocean related sports, but I think the K5 is capable of good results in any category (even more after seeing the photos on this thread). These were taken with a DA 55-300 I bought used...

09-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #1537
Veteran Member

Is rodeo a sport?
All shots using Sigma 70-200 HSM II and ridiculous high ISO's.

White helmet 2 - Kyogle Show Rodeo 2013

Exit 4

Watch out - Kyogle Show Rodeo

09-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #1538
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luisalves Quote
So far I've only photographed ocean related sports, but I think the K5 is capable of good results in any category (even more after seeing the photos on this thread). These were taken with a DA 55-300 I bought used...

Great surf shots! I especially like the first.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Is rodeo a sport?

White helmet 2 - Kyogle Show Rodeo 2013

Exit 4

Watch out - Kyogle Show Rodeo
Whether it is or not those are really good shots. Love the flying snot in the first and flying cowboy in the second!
09-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #1539
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Love the flying snot in the first and flying cowboy in the second!
Thanks! There was lots of both during the event.
09-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #1540
Pentaxian

A desperate lighting situation. I'm surprised that 1/250s was fast enough here for the action, even with panning.

The calculated LV of your 1/250s / F2.8 / ISO8000 & 1/250s / F3.2 / ISO10000 combos is LV 4.7 LV. Since there is a light transmission loss in any lens, and since the loss for this lens is approx. 0.5 stops (DxOMark - Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG APO HSM Canon), the actual LV was approx. LV 4.2. This compares with the "Night Sports" LV 9 figure reported in Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, so the lighting was very low, at least by professional sporting events standards.

How fast was the AF performance under this lighting?

BTW, the PGA in the K-5 has a range of 24 dB (4 stops), so analogue gain is only applied between ISO100-ISO1600 or ISO80-ISO1250 (if using extended sensitivity). So, in situations where you might normally use higher ISOs, unless you either shoot raw and are a fan of the non-defeatable raw NR above these upper limits, or prefer the results from the in-camera JPEG NR, you may be better off shooting raw at the max. ISO where analogue gain is still applied, and then boosting the rendering brightness in raw PP (with due attention to the rendering tone curve, highlight compression and/or DR controls), and then applying a fancier NR at this stage. Doing so could potentially preserve an extra 2.3-3 stops of highlight clipping headroom, and might give a better NR result than either camera NR alone or raw NR + NR in PP.
09-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #1541
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
A desperate lighting situation.
Interesting analysis. Thanks for the comments and taking the time to look into things. I shot another rodeo at the same location in June, and the IQ of the results was generally poor, so I tried to learn something from that experience.
QuoteQuote:
I'm surprised that 1/250s was fast enough here for the action, even with panning.
Last time I shot rodeo at the same location and time (evening), I 'borrowed' the camera settings of a guy who makes a living photographing these SE QLD rodeos by studying his EXIF. He always used 1/500 sec, f2.8 (on his Canon 1Dx with a 70-200 f2.8), and seemed happy to go over ISO 12800. However applying 1/500 to the scene in June meant I had to let the K-5 run up to ISO 25600 for many shots, and the results were not pretty. So this time I tried setting the shutter lower and generally the results turned out OK. At 1/500 both falling rider and bull would have been frozen, but at 1/250 if just the bull was frozen but the falling rider was blurry, that still looked OK. I think I even shot lower than 1/250 for a few bursts.

the lighting was very low, at least by professional sporting events standards.
Indeed. I wish they would hold these events during the day. Looking at the EXIF for some of these shots in PhotoMe, the LV across the metering segments was usually well below 4.

How fast was the AF performance under this lighting?
The AF speed was good, but the lack of subject contrast (low-light, black bull...) sometimes caused problems getting a lock. I also found if I used 5 point AF, the AF would grab a contrasty feature behind the target (eg a steel barrier railing behind the bull running directly towards me) rather that the rider's chest. I also tried AF.C in combination with 5 point AF but it was SLOW and killed the fps, and the tracking was unreliable, so I just mostly stuck to AF.S and centre-point AF.

you may be better off shooting raw at the max. ISO where analogue gain is still applied, and then boosting the rendering brightness in raw PP
That works to a degree. But taking it all the way down to ISO 1250 (the DxOMark ceiling), and then pushing up the exposure back to ISO 6400-12800 (effective) in post often means starting to see a lot of blueish read noise ugliness in the boosted scene, especially if the original scene was dim. I haven't experimented much with this approach, but that technique seems to work best if you shoot a bright scene at ISO 100 and accidentally under-expose it by 4 stops, for example, then need to recover it. Dramatic exposure boosting in PP doesn't seem to work as well, for some reason, if you are pushing a low-light scene.

Last edited by rawr; 09-30-2013 at 05:22 PM.
09-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #1542
Pentaxian

That works to a degree. But taking it all the way down to ISO 1250 (the DxOMark ceiling), and then pushing up the exposure back to ISO 6400-12800 (effective) in post often means starting to see a lot of blueish read noise ugliness in the boosted scene, especially if the original scene was dim.
Since gain in the K-5 above ISO1600/1250 is all digital, the only noise difference, when shooting raw, comes from the non-defeatable NR applied to higher-ISO raw files. There is an argument that since this NR occurs before demosaicing, it is less visibly destructive than NR in PP.

The argument for NR in PP is that it's under user control and can use more sophisticated algorithms. (Processing time is less of an issue.)

I've not seen an authoritative comparison which indicates which is better in the smoothing/resolution trade-off.

Dan.
09-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #1543
Veteran Member

which is better in the smoothing/resolution trade-off.
That all depends on a lot of perceptual issues too. It's not always easy to just give that a score. Noise in a band shot can often simply be left alone, noise in a landscape or portrait will usually need some attention. And a lot of noise that may be visible on a monitor will simply dissappear when reduced to common print sizes and viewed from 30cm away.

The main issue I was raising was the seeming difference in results between pushing in post a low-light scene (LV4) versus pushing a better illuminated scene (LV10). If you push a dark scene hard, even if you start from ISO 1600, the results don't seem as good as if you push a bright scene hard from ISO 1600, if that makes sense.
10-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #1544
Banned

Original Poster
Is rodeo a sport?
I think that all the No-sayers should try this sport themselves. Great images!
10-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #1545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think that all the No-sayers should try this sport themselves. Great images!
We'll be in line behind you, Ron.