Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 03:54 AM   #1681
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I've missed shots due to focus lag and my keeper ratio has plummeted. I shoot AF.S/spot focus, with a Sigma 100-300/4.
I've found the K-3 AF makes it a more confident sports shooter than the K-5, at least with something like my Sigma 70-200 HSM II. Keeper rate is better, even if the K-3 high-ISO is a bit worse. I shot several hundred shots at a rodeo recently (AF.C, all 27 points, focus-priority, Continuous-Hi, Hold-AF status medium) and there were certainly less lost-shots due to focus than I recall from shooting the same event several times before with the K-5.

04-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #1682
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well I'm old school, I guess--just want to set the focus indicator on what I want sharp and fire. I don't do bursts. Basically, I'm leery of having the camera second-guess me, AF.S has worked pretty well for me. I might give AF.C another try, though.
I think the big difference between the K3 and K5/II is in the AF-C department. AF-S the only difference is that there are more points and that they are smaller -- not a big deal when it comes to locking focus though.
04-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #1683
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the responses. I tried AF.C for yesterday's game but I'm still working the pix through pp so the jury's still out Admittedly, lacrosse can be pretty challenging for any camera (or photographer)--lots of potential subjects moving pretty fast--see my post above for examples. I'll keep at this--there's clearly a learning curve--but I could make the case for sticking with the K-5IIs since my main objective is posting to the web (as opposed to making life sized posters or nailing the cover of SI.)
04-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #1684
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for all the responses. I tried AF.C for yesterday's game but I'm still working the pix through pp so the jury's still out Admittedly, lacrosse can be pretty challenging for any camera (or photographer)--lots of potential subjects moving pretty fast--see my post above for examples. I'll keep at this--there's clearly a learning curve--but I could make the case for sticking with the K-5IIs since my main objective is posting to the web (as opposed to making life sized posters or nailing the cover of SI.)
I think the K-5 IIs doesn't get enough credit in the AF department - at least not after the K-3's release. I believe the K-3 is better, but the K-5 IIs is doing the job for me (whereas the K-5 was just "getting by").

It's probably just a matter of getting the right K-3 settings (and possibly modifying your technique), but I believe the K-5 IIs can still be adequate, so I wouldn't be ashamed of going back to it either.

04-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #1685
Veteran Member

@dadipentak -- hang in there! If lacrosse is anything like soccer, it IS tough... the play comes in and out at all angles, and it's hard to pre-focus. Thank God baseball season's started... MUCH easier anticipating an action spot, like home plate.

On the other hand, since it's a girl's team, you could use a guy's Secret Genetic Photographer's Trick -- at the right moment, just hold up a bouquet of roses with some chocolate bars, and watch those kids freeze for a perfect snapshot.
04-26-2014, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #1686
Pentaxian

I don't use my Bigma very often for sports since it is heavy and on my K5 it was slow to focus at times. Yesterday I decided to use it since the soccer game started earlier so there was plenty of light and then I moved over to shoot a softball game. These all use the K5IIs and Bigma.

---------- Post added 04-26-14 at 10:49 AM ----------

And here are some from the softball game taken the same evening as the soccer shots in the previous set.

With the Bigma.

These were with the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Last edited by GvilleRick; 04-26-2014 at 11:00 AM.
05-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #1687

Couple of images from Montréal's first Ultimate Frisbee Pro team.

More : https://www.flickr.com/photos/thesorus/sets/72157644519733835/

05-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #1688
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thesorus Quote
Couple of images from Montréal's first Ultimate Frisbee Pro team.
I was pretty good at that back in high school. But no one ever told me I could go pro someday!

Thanks for sharing your pics (and bringing back some memories).
05-06-2014, 02:57 AM   #1689

Was shooting a match on the highest level in the Finnish football scene with my trusty combo of K-5 & Tamrom 70-200 f2.8.

This is one of the guys I've been following since the age of 13 as he's been playing with my son all these years.

This last shot pretty much sums the match up. No goals for the b&w home team, which has been stripped down of all their biggest names after last season.

It's starting to feel that this combo of mine is getting a bit tired and I'm pondering my options of upgrading both the body and the main lens I use. Not getting sharp pictures is something that really nags me, and I just wonder if K-3 has what it takes or should I do something more radical. Luckily my bank account strictly disagrees with my upgrading plans, so I'll just have to make do with what I have. For now, that is.
05-08-2014, 12:43 AM   #1690
Veteran Member

Yesterday, at Cardiff State Beach near San Diego, the wind was so strong it blew the pelicans out of their graceful formations. But that same howling wind was perfect for the parasailers -- ripping along parallel to the beach at about 30, maybe 40 MPH. No fear -- they hit a wave, use it as a springboard to do flips in midair. Towed along by large Rogallo-wing kites. There were also a few windsurfers. All close to the beach, which made it perfect for photography.

K-5 IIs is a dream for action -- I was able to take several pictures during a single flip -- no camera delays whatsoever. 55-300mm lens, most pix on TAv at f/8, 1/1600 sec, ISO 250 or so.
Attached Images

05-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #1691
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great shots, Jon! Love the guy sideways then upside down.
05-10-2014, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #1692
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Folks our own Ron Hendricks needs our help to be able to keep shooting soccer matches.
Please see this thread and take action.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/261384-would-you...e-vote-me.html
05-11-2014, 02:13 AM   #1693

All the best to Ron! I hope you get things sorted as quickly as possible.

Now a sequence of photos which covers an instance of little longer than a second in a match in the Finnish U19 championship yesterday. Shot in raw, no cropping other than a slight straightening.

No goal and not a happy number 5.
The weather and lighting were difficult for the AF system of my K-5 (and Tamron 70-200 f2.8) and most of the images are not properly in focus. I admit my own part in the equation, but OTOH in brighter conditions the same combo manages to nail the focus much, much more often.
Anyway, I like the sequence and I only hope it had resulted a goal. That would have made it perfect for me - in more ways than one because that number 5 is closely related ;D

Note also that the situation seems to have come as a complete surprise to the goalie.
05-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #1694
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice baseball shots Rick!
05-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #1695
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's with some ambivalence that I announce my retirement from sports photography. My daughter's senior season has come to an end with her team's loss in the championship semi-finals. It's been fun. Here she is in the quarter-final game.