Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 06:04 AM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
if you could spare an additional $700 bucks and sell your K-7 slightly below what you pay for, then it doesn't sound too bad.
Yeah, that's been part of my thought process. I got my K-7 new for a really good price, and as of last week I probably could have sold it for almost break-even. A review of the marketplace makes me think that prices have already started dropping quite a bit since the K-5 announcement though. I definitely wouldn't want to sell it before the K-5 was readily available either.

But there's also the Puritan part of my consumer behavior that finds it distasteful to replace/upgrade something I just bought, especially for an additional cost. The optimum time to upgrade will probably be early 2012 when the K-5's successor is in the pipeline. If the control layout is changed on that camera I'll definitely want to stay with the K-5, and prices/availability/firmware will be at their best then.

09-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Although I don't have the money presently, it will be hard to resist such a good upgrade. They fixed the two main complaints about the K-7: High ISO performance and AF speed. The new sensor really promises to be great: fast readout, great DR, low noise, resolution. I can't wait to see the DXOmark results.
The new AF seems to be substantially improved this time, not just a small incremental upgrade like the previous releases.
I hope the shutter blur issue is also fixed.
They kept the good things: same silent shutter, small but well built body, good VF, etc.
They added some little touches, the Fx button is nice.

It's not perfect but it will be close. It just needs an articulated LCD, maybe in the next generation.
My feelings almost exactly (I don't care about an articulated LCD).
09-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well the Pentax K-5 is almost certainly the best Pentax camera body ever up to this point. That's got to be worth something, right?

The interesting thing about a praising thread versus a bashing thread is that it's much easier to be negative before you know all of the facts. For example, if Pentax used a weak AA filter on this sensor similar to their 645D project, the photos from the K-5 could not only have better high ISO, resolution and dynamic range than the K-7, they could also look quite a bit sharper, too. This, however, is something we won't know until later on.
09-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #64
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Pentax K-5 is almost certainly the best Pentax camera body ever up to this point
I agree, it's undoubtedly the best DSLR. I don't think there's any debating that!

Now, if we step back to the film bodies...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #65
Veteran Member

I really like the K-5 and since I have pretty much satisfied my LBA for now (I have decent primes from 28 to 135 which was what I had originally set out to do earlier in the year). I can now turn my focus towards acquiring a better more versatile body and the K-5 fits the bill. Weather sealed, high ISO, improved AF all of which I am not too happy with on my K100D Super. It's a great camera but I think that I can get a little more resolution if I had 16 MP to work with instead of 6 MP. I will be buying my K-5 either late December or in January after I have taken my exam for the USMLE Step 1. I'm pinching my pennies now!

Theperception2008

p.s. Thanks Adam for staying on top of all the stuff that's been happening in the forums!
09-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #66
Forum Member

I have waited for some time, but the K-5 will become my first DSLR. I am now shooting with a Canon EOS 50e analog camera and my old Asahi Pentax Spotmatic and after carefully looking around, I have decided that the K-5 will fulfill all my needs (WR, high ISO, high FPS, SR, etc, etc.) and I even can use my old glass. I just have to find a dealer that will order some genuine Pentax M42 adaptors for me, as I do not want to use the fake ones that can damage the mount...

But I will wait for the reviews and the RAW samples, IQ has to be good as well ;-)
09-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clutch Quote
Yeah, that's been part of my thought process. I got my K-7 new for a really good price, and as of last week I probably could have sold it for almost break-even. A review of the marketplace makes me think that prices have already started dropping quite a bit since the K-5 announcement though. I definitely wouldn't want to sell it before the K-5 was readily available either.

But there's also the Puritan part of my consumer behavior that finds it distasteful to replace/upgrade something I just bought, especially for an additional cost. The optimum time to upgrade will probably be early 2012 when the K-5's successor is in the pipeline. If the control layout is changed on that camera I'll definitely want to stay with the K-5, and prices/availability/firmware will be at their best then.
clearly understandable. if the K-7's capabilities are more than enough to suit your needs, then it wouldn't make sense to spend an additional for the upgrades.

btw, specific things to consider that I find by which the K-7 would need some help with and could be answered by the K-5,

1.> faster and accurate AF. I find that the K-7 is quite slow with AF especially on situations or subjects that are in motion. there are atleast 2 out of 8 shots that are decent or with acceptable results. but this doesn't do well especially if you are doing shot sequences or particular action that you wanted to be in focus.

2.> extended High ISO. although I rarely do High ISO, it would also be nice addition to have a camera which has an ISO 6400 sensitivity with an ISO 800 quality. definitely useful for lowlight action, candid shots and portraits and in focus subjects and better IQ under such demanding scenario. this would greatly help those who only have kitlenses or anything which are slow for such occasions.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 09-22-2010 at 09:56 AM.
09-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #68
Veteran Member

The K-5 is an excellent reason to purchase new-for-old insurance on my K-7 if nothing else! Otherwise it'll be 2012 AT LEAST before I upgrade, as I think the K-7's IQ is still pretty darned good - I'm even pleased with high-iso

09-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Well, I'll be pleased enough to be positive and cheer for now, this seems like pretty good news for the high-ISO (I would like it very much if they give good monochrome at least at those very-high ISOs: I could make use of that,) and ....it seems, a nice enough AF improvement to be getting on with. (Given my penchant for low lighting from odd sources, I think that + in the ol' SAFOX would be very nice indeed. )

The more USER modes, that's a yay.

And I still haven't handled a K-7, but the ergonomics have always looked good, there, (though it'll be hard to beat the K20d for fitting my hands, even if the appearance of them took a while to grow on me. ) And just on aesthetics, I like how these bodies look, anyway: they've got that familiar look of designs I'm comfortable with. Of course, I mostly only see cameras from the back, anyway.

Screen for fast lenses, Pentax!

Not in the market, for a while yet, but it looks like there'll be a very solid upgrade for whenever the time comes.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-22-2010 at 01:28 PM.
09-22-2010, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

Not much of anything I don't like about it......a K7 on steroids? That was all I wanted, and Pentax delivered. What's not to love!
Regards!
09-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Not much of anything I don't like about it......a K7 on steroids? That was all I wanted, and Pentax delivered. What's not to love!
Regards!
just the kind of reply I'm looking for from someone who asked for it. kinda disappointed for most people who asked the same but bashed it because they can't afford it? hopefully next time they would make it specific that they want this blah blah blah in a camera for a certain low price. as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for.
09-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #72
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wasn't too happy with it not addressing the manual focus issues in Movie mode but after seeing the fast as hell focus and hearing the other improvements they have made I think I will get one after a a few hands on reviews, I think I've talked the wife into taking my K-7 and letting me send in my K-100d to be IR ed and getting the new 18-135 lens as a carry-around if it's half as good as my Tammy 17-50 2.8. I hope they announce a new 400 DA* lens by Feb.
09-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #73
Veteran Member

just the kind of reply I'm looking for from someone who asked for it. kinda disappointed for most people who asked the same but bashed it because they can't afford it? hopefully next time they would make it specific that they want this blah blah blah in a camera for a certain low price. as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for.
Well I have to agree with you Pentaxor, Look at the K-7! It was what people liked about the K20D but didn't like the fact that it lacked: focus assist lamp, faster AF, better metering, improved WB, and that they wanted the faster fps and movie mode. What people supposedly liked was the IQ and were more or less happy with that aspect. In addition, people complained about the size of the K20D. What people were clamoring for they got in the K-7! Almost no one stated that they wanted super high ISO! Okay, tethering became unsupported, but that's something else.

Well, now that Pentax has listened once again to their devout followers, more IQ, more high ISO, Full HD, even faster AF, and faster FPS. Hence the development of the K-5. Still not good enough and people are up in arms of the price, the flash sync speed, the AF because "it still sucks" and "it will never be as good as Canikon" etc.

If I was Pentax, I would just be pulling my hair out by now! We do get what we wish for, plus or minus one or two things, but I think low and behold they are giving us a camera that "we" have been demanding. In fact it is in many ways much better than a K-7 body with a K-x sensor. I can only try to imagine the outcry of foul and blood if Pentax had really done that. Oh well. The K-5 is an amazing camera :-)
09-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Well, I've said it before, but the same people'll probably be looking at the price of them next year and proclaiming the low price means 'Pentax is doomed,' Pentax Store pricing is never the best deal out there anyway, afaik. People just seem to come out of the woodwork to complain when there's a new model, a lot of them.

I'm never the 'early adopter,' anyway, and I'm kind of with Rupert on this one. If this lives up to moderately-reasonable expectations, given what we know so far, it certainly looks like a winner to me: I don't need a monster: the ruggedish, weatherly, and 'smallish' formula works great for me.

Seems like they're coming along pretty well: I'm mostly interested in staying power, rather than who out-specs who this month.
09-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #75

i think pentax listened to its customers - it's just that some who post here think they are the only customers and forget most don't even form pentax' main market. i doubt that forum participants here posted that they wanted a kx in 100 colors. but i would also bet a marketing survey in japan turned up a very positive response to the idea.

now pentax is moving forward with the k5 - and its development may well be based on a much larger survey pool than represented by those who get on the message boards and repeatedly beat the drums about ff and tethering. who knows, those may yet come. but if the projected monthly production numbers quoted are correct, hoya does not expect the k5 to be the big sales leader for the pentax brand. it is, however, a marker, and a very reassuring one for those who bought da lenses and want to continue to do so, that there is a commitment to development on pentax' part associated with those purchases. it may be a subliminal message, but it is an important one.