Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #121
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
They are watching each other's pricing like a hawk...or was it falcon ?
or vultures . . .

09-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #122
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bunp for this thread... I'm looking forward to the ISO bump over my K20D, workable live view, excited about being able to use the arror keys to select focus via LV... hmm the fps bump might come in useful as well, improved white balance might come in handy sometime, ahh hell its just a big improvement all round...

Last edited by robbiec; 09-30-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: wanted to put a smiley in
09-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Bunp for this thread... I'm looking forward to the ISO bump over my K20D, workable live view, excited about being able to use the arror keys to select focus via LV... hmm the fps bump might come in useful as well, improved white balance might come in handy sometime, ahh hell its just a big improvement all round...
The Focus object selection in LV via arrow keys is available on the K-7, and quite usable after the latest Firmware update.
Based on the posted video which has been making the rounds, the K-5 implementation looks a lot smoother and faster.
10-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #124

Plays back to K-5, I thought to myself again and therefore have spoken with a technician at Zeiss in video cameras, etc. compartment and during the conversation I had the K-5 with their "limited" buffer of only 8 to RAWs and started talking to him about few more MB / GB memory buffer would not make it over expensive

He then explained to me thta it may have not necessarily involve an "economy measure" must, but purely for practical reasons.

He came to the theory that it ,theoretically, the Pentax's stick to the "old battery", the size and the BG of K-7 may have caused that more performance can not be served.

For example:

Due to the enlargement of the sensor / bit depth, etc. you need more computing power, more frames per second = more power consumption, second SD slot would again need more power, buffer increase even more power ....
new AF, possibly higher consumption ....

It may simply be that the current layout is not capable of much more, perhaps, the processor is too weak to permanently feed the buffer.

You can not just improve features A, B, C and D and let E and F to "old" state, there must be some kind of balance.

Maybe this is exactly what happens with the K-5 and only a "new design" + "new development" could allow further evolution.

Last edited by Mehlsack; 10-04-2010 at 05:59 AM.
10-04-2010, 06:01 AM   #125
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
Plays back to K-5, I thought to myself again and therefore have spoken with a technician at Zeiss in video cameras, etc. compartment and during the conversation I had the K-5 with their "limited" buffer of only 8 to RAWs and started talking to him about few more MB / GB memory buffer would not make it over expensive

He then explained to me thta it may have not necessarily involve an "economy measure" must, but purely for practical reasons.

He came to the theory that it ,theoretically, the Pentax's stick to the "old battery", the size and the BG of K-7 may have caused that more performance can not be served.

For example:

Due to the enlargement of the sensor / bit depth, etc. you need more computing power, more frames per second = more power consumption, second SD slot would again need more power, buffer increase even more power ....
new AF, possibly higher consumption ....

It may simply be that the current layout is not capable of much more, perhaps, the processor is too weak to permanently feed the buffer.

You can not just improve features A, B, C and D and let E and F to "old" state, there must be some kind of balance.

Maybe this is exactly what happens with the K-5 and only a "new design" + "new development" could allow further evolution.

Makes sense.

[BTW, the translator missed a few words, but I am amazed at how much of the original article comes through into English]
10-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #126

I tried to improve / substitute the words which have been missed, but i hope the main messenge has been clear, at least a bit ^^
10-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #127
Pentaxian

The LV of K-5 is sick!
10-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #128

Photos: Gallery
I've been on kind of a buying spree lately, and so I want to hold off on getting the K-5 until I feel like I really need it (I just upgraded to a used K10D a couple months ago), but I don't think I'm going to make it past my birthday (in Feb). I think I will be overjoyed once I do finally pull the trigger.

10-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
Not sure if it was in this thread or another, and nor am I aware of the accuracy of the information, but somebody in these forums suggested that it was down to a limitation on the amount of memory that could be addressed by its processor.
10-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #130
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It's cameranu.nl and I bought last year the K-7 and before the K20D. It's mainly internetshop, but I always visit the store.

CameraNU.nl - Pentax SLR - Pentax K-5 Body
Sorry if this is OT, but that shop seems to have great prices in general, do you consider cameranu.nl a trustworthy and reliable camera shop [also to buy on-line from another EU country]?