Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Official K-5 Praising Thread

Since we have an official bashing thread (that I didn't start, for the record), we must also have an official Pentax K-5 praising thread...and this is it!

Post why you're excited about the K-5 here!

I, for starters, am very excited. In fact, B&H has already made arrangements with us to get a K-5 over to us as soon as possible so that we can do a professional review!

What's exciting for me:
  • Improved resolution- not a big practical improvement, but shows that Pentax is stepping forward alongside other brands
  • ISO capabilities: it seems that K-5 ISO 6400 shots are as good as K-7 ISO 800 shots. That's a 3-stop improvement. Forget the max ISO of 51200 - that's just there for bragging purposes! I'm just glad to see that the K-5 will be usable from 100-12800 without any reservations.
  • Improved AF- definitely a biggie here. Much less hunting, if any, especially for sports photography. With fast lenses, I expect the AP performance to be near perfect for our purposes.
  • Same body as the K-7- means I can hang on to my old grip. I also really liked the K-7's ergonomics, so I think it's great that Pentax isn't ditching them.
  • 7fps- nice for sports, and will make the shutter seem even more responsive than in the K-7.
  • 5 USER modes instead of just 1 - very handy! Since they got rid of the bracketing button, I typically use the USER setting for bracketing instead, and this will help with quick swapping of the settings.
Future support for SDXC cards also sounds great (we'll have to wait for a firmware update for that), and I've heard that there are plenty other exciting features to be announced through firmware as well!

Additional thoughts and praise is welcome! Let's have a very +positive+ thread here!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Adam, you just covered all the major points, leaves me nothing to say.
WAIT... just thought of something, the fourth row on mode selector dial, will make it easier to turn while wearing gloves.
09-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter

My next new dSLR will likely be the K-5.
09-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here Here! It has been quite dismaying to read all the negative posts about what seems in prospect to be a very, very capable piece of kit.

09-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Good - same body as K-7, though I'd like to see AF button moved. I find the whole K-7 body very comfortable. Plus of course the weather sealing is fanbloodytastic.

As a sports shooter I'm not that concerned about 7fps v 5.2fps, but hey if I'm offered it I'll take it. The better ISO thing would be great for me as some of our fields are not that well lit for night games. The improved AF we'll wait and see a few reports, but so far so good.
09-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #6

glad to see pentax continuing to offer support and improvement for the body that supports my da lenses - i may have to go all out and add a few more! also great adherence to kiss: keep it small and sturdy.
09-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
keep it small and sturdy.
I spell that different. Like kis-a$$

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-21-2010 at 03:04 PM.
09-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I bought last year the K-X after refusing to buy the K-& because of some bad review. But what I see of the K-5 is realy good. Probably 75% chance ,I will move in the next 6 month to the k-5 and the new lens 17-135
09-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I spell that different. Like kis-a$$
i hope that was a typo and you just meant kick-ass.
09-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
My next new dSLR will likely be the K-5.
What he said...

09-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
5 Hail Marys, the competition is on now...for the "others" fanboys
09-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
i hope that was a typo and you just meant kick-ass.
Yeah, that`s it.
09-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #13

I thought the K7 was fairly priced but held off in hopes to learn my K10D better and improve my exposure technique. It looks like the K5 may be my reward and I may just have to swallow the price pill as it is pretty much the dream camera in terms of spec's and size! I have considered saving some $ on a K7 but I deserve the Camera I want and this is what I want. I think Pentax knows this and they know we (enthusiasts)are enthusiastic enough to pay for what we want. Kudos to them for knowing andy pity me for wanting.
...or not

Cheers
Roger

Last edited by DJEZRAJ; 09-21-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
09-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
We still might get lucky and see an $1399 K-5! The prices are still TBA at the retailers, AFAIK.

BTW, I've added the info on the USER modes to the first post of this thread. I think that's a very nice feature that's being overlooked by many.

Also, we have a ways to go! The bashing thread has 130+ replies, while this thread only has 14!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #15

rather like the idea of iso 80 - maybe final/updated firware might get iso 50 if we are lucky - means i can probably get away without needing to buy whole new filters holder etc jsut to get a lee 10 stop filter and make do with couple of cokin nd8's

high iso is good too

7fps would be great (but buffer )

cant descide if gonna get a k5 or wait for a k3 or whatever they call it -see how much its going for around christmas i guess see if i want to treat myself