Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #46
Inactive Account

My problem is that I just bought a K-7 as my first DSLR about three months ago. I got into Pentax because I liked the system as a whole (primes, SR, backwards compatibility, WR, price) and was willing to live with the perceived sensor shortcomings. The K-7's been a great camera and I'm averaging 1000 shots a month with it. The K-5 looks perfect to me. It's my K-7 with the few improvements I would want added to it. It's hard to justify an upgrade now though. It will probably be a good six months to a year before I could justify selling my K-7 and buying a K-5. I'm thinking that the price of the K-5 should drop faster than the resale value of my K-7 though, so I'm probably better off waiting even if I'll lose a couple $100 on my K-7 later on.

I could definitely use 3 stops more of high ISO. I've been shooting hummingbirds a lot lately just before their migration. I've found I need 1/1600 and ISO 1600 at f/8 on my 400mm to really stop their motion and keep their wings from just disappearing. It would be nice to have an ISO 1600 with the image quality I get at ISO400 now. On the K-7 I feel like ISO1600 is a "setting of last resort", but I'm not really happy with the IQ. I haven't started shooting in RAW and doing NR in post yet, so I could probably get better results that way. It would be nice to get better IQ straight out of the camera jpg's without having to do that though.

For me, owning a K-5 will be "when" not "if".

09-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #47
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
How are they accessed?
No idea, but likely using the up/down arrows. I can find out from someone how has the pre-production model, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the thread Adam

I was becoming annoyed with some other negative therads about the K5 of this forum.

And by the way, congrats on all of the great work you have been doing here!

Oh! Are you getting any sleep for the past couple of weeks?

JP
09-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #49
Forum Member

PENTAX K-5, 7fps testing

09-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #50
Forum Member

PENTAX_K-5_LV_AF_preview.flv

09-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #51
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks for the thread Adam

I was becoming annoyed with some other negative therads about the K5 of this forum.

And by the way, congrats on all of the great work you have been doing here!

Oh! Are you getting any sleep for the past couple of weeks?

JP
Thanks!

I got 12 hours in yesterday, magically, from 7pm until 7am. Apparently, I was that tired! Way too much stuff has been going on lately, but that's a good thing, too.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #52
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Those videos are impressive- wow! Their implementation of the LV magnification looks quite good.

Adam

09-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #53

really impressive! I've got to wait a year though. just a hobbyist on a k-7.
09-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I hope it reaches SA before Christmas!
09-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #55

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon tonight. Hoping that the price is actually $1400 than $1600
09-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #56

I can't wait for production models to get into some hands. I don't care if people say it's a small up from a K-7, I'm stuck with a bloody K100D and a scratched sensor!!! Anything is a step up.

Only thing that drives me nuts when i play with the cameras at Frys is the fact that all the new cameras have all these ridiculous features like sensors to detect when your face is near the viewfinder. What happened to simple and elegant? I like simple. (you guys don't have to bother answering, I already know why)
09-22-2010, 12:16 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I love my K7, K5 seems like a good excuse to get a second job!
If they have improved the low ISO and put on a nice AA filter like the K10d them I'm so going to be jealous!
09-22-2010, 01:14 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I held off buying a K10d due to a reported lack of sharpness and a sticky pixel issue then finally bought it once it was apparent that those reports were bogus.

I held off buying a K20d due to a reported crappy sensor making it no better than a K10d. Once that turned out to be bogus I finally upgraded to a K20d.

Seems to me that the K5 negativity is a little early. Regarding the reviews, both my reasons for not upgrading previous cameras came from"reputable" larger review sites. I presume they will do the same this time since advertising dollars tends warp objective reviews. There is no easier way to raise ones profile than to point at the flaws of others. Usually there is some optimism, then skepticism, then something in between. If the specs are right, the K-5 will be a terrific camera for Pentax. Perhaps wait to hear a little more, but don't get caught up the in negativity from people that pretend they know more than they do.

Last edited by SteveM; 09-22-2010 at 01:19 AM.
09-22-2010, 01:48 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clutch Quote
My problem is that I just bought a K-7 as my first DSLR about three months ago. I got into Pentax because I liked the system as a whole (primes, SR, backwards compatibility, WR, price) and was willing to live with the perceived sensor shortcomings. The K-7's been a great camera and I'm averaging 1000 shots a month with it. The K-5 looks perfect to me. It's my K-7 with the few improvements I would want added to it. It's hard to justify an upgrade now though. It will probably be a good six months to a year before I could justify selling my K-7 and buying a K-5. I'm thinking that the price of the K-5 should drop faster than the resale value of my K-7 though, so I'm probably better off waiting even if I'll lose a couple $100 on my K-7 later on.

I could definitely use 3 stops more of high ISO. I've been shooting hummingbirds a lot lately just before their migration. I've found I need 1/1600 and ISO 1600 at f/8 on my 400mm to really stop their motion and keep their wings from just disappearing. It would be nice to have an ISO 1600 with the image quality I get at ISO400 now. On the K-7 I feel like ISO1600 is a "setting of last resort", but I'm not really happy with the IQ. I haven't started shooting in RAW and doing NR in post yet, so I could probably get better results that way. It would be nice to get better IQ straight out of the camera jpg's without having to do that though.

For me, owning a K-5 will be "when" not "if".
if you could spare an additional $700 bucks and sell your K-7 slightly below what you pay for, then it doesn't sound too bad.

I was considering such a thought, but there are several factors that held me back from purchasing or pre-ordering it well ahead of schedule.

factors such as,

1.> I can buy it cheaper after a few months or from someone after a month or so. learned my lesson as I paid for an additional $800 for a new one, then later found out someone selling a used one after a few weeks (2 weeks, I guess) for less. could had saved and used that $800 for something else or purchase of a great lens like an FA31 or FA77.

2.> my priority right now is saving my money for a lens that I really need. so a camera purchase needs to take the backseat to it for now.

3.> I'm waiting for what Pentax has in-stored for next year.

don't get me wrong, the K-5 is a promising camera, but it's not on top of my priority list. if I only own the K10D, I would had considered it at the top of the list by now.

addition: A need for an FF dlsr and the announcement of the X100 are also factors that pushed the k-5 down the wanted list.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 09-22-2010 at 03:43 AM.
09-22-2010, 02:13 AM   #60
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Impressive videos of the AF and continuous shooting performance.
It will be a welcome piece of kit.
I can see this one setting a long-lasting standard for Pentax APS-C dSLRs.