Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
Well I have to agree with you Pentaxor, Look at the K-7! It was what people liked about the K20D but didn't like the fact that it lacked: focus assist lamp, faster AF, better metering, improved WB, and that they wanted the faster fps and movie mode. What people supposedly liked was the IQ and were more or less happy with that aspect. In addition, people complained about the size of the K20D. What people were clamoring for they got in the K-7! Almost no one stated that they wanted super high ISO! Okay, tethering became unsupported, but that's something else.

Well, now that Pentax has listened once again to their devout followers, more IQ, more high ISO, Full HD, even faster AF, and faster FPS. Hence the development of the K-5. Still not good enough and people are up in arms of the price, the flash sync speed, the AF because "it still sucks" and "it will never be as good as Canikon" etc.

If I was Pentax, I would just be pulling my hair out by now! We do get what we wish for, plus or minus one or two things, but I think low and behold they are giving us a camera that "we" have been demanding. In fact it is in many ways much better than a K-7 body with a K-x sensor. I can only try to imagine the outcry of foul and blood if Pentax had really done that. Oh well. The K-5 is an amazing camera :-)
True, it is way better than what most people are clamoring for. it is definitely better than the proposed k7 body with a kx sensor. I did state my preference and said that I wont get another APS-C Pentax unless there is something which I need or looking for in a FF dslr. wider FOV, thin DOF, able to use a FF lens for it's intended focal length functionality and strength, and of course, a bigger and brighter OVF/EVF. although I was willing to compromise with something that is compact, has an innovative VF whether mirrorless or anything hybrid as long as it's brighter and bigger (like the X100), but since Pentax doesn't have one, I think I have to pass on the K-5. and besides, I'm part of the minority that wanted a FF, so I can't complain but just watch the majority complain for what they clamored for. how ironic.

09-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It certainly looks like an attractive package to me and a nice step "up" from my K20D. I'll not pull the trigger until we have some more performance data on production copies, but I'm guessing the K-5 will be an excellent camera and one will end up in my gadget bag.

There are always curmudgeonly viewpoints that accompany the intro of a new camera, but I do think US pricing has produced - perhaps understandably - more disgruntlement than usual. I suspect that will sort itself out in a few months; however, folks need to remember that Pentax's old model of highly cost-advantaged products yielded a failing camera business that afforded neither attractive returns nor a meaningful market share. So buying Pentax stuff "on the cheap" may be harder to do in the future.

Jer
09-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #78

For those of us who skipped the K-7....

....the K-5 is the answer. I have a K20D as my main camera and a K-10D as backup - it's nice to be able to share the grip and I do use the dark-frame subtraction method for long exposures on the K10D. The improved features of the K-5 may have me replace the K10D with one.

As part of my job I take photographs of industrial equipment in dirty (polluted, wet and dusty) environments. I discovered the value of weatherproofing in DSLRs after killing a couple of camcorders with a corrosive alkali dust. Plus, I have a forty-year relationship with Pentax and my own collection of legacy lenses.

Mike
09-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree Stringmike. K20D as primary, K200D & K100D as either walk-arounds or landscape shooters. I do alot of macro shots on telecommunication equipment (K200D works fine for this-K20D is overkill), but the K20D is my wildlife shooter now. The specs for the K5 would be able to replace all of these and if my company would cover the cost of it, I would pre-order NOW.

09-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
True, it is way better than what most people are clamoring for. it is definitely better than the proposed k7 body with a kx sensor. I did state my preference and said that I wont get another APS-C Pentax unless there is something which I need or looking for in a FF dslr. wider FOV, thin DOF, able to use a FF lens for it's intended focal length functionality and strength, and of course, a bigger and brighter OVF/EVF. although I was willing to compromise with something that is compact, has an innovative VF whether mirrorless or anything hybrid as long as it's brighter and bigger (like the X100), but since Pentax doesn't have one, I think I have to pass on the K-5. and besides, I'm part of the minority that wanted a FF, so I can't complain but just watch the majority complain for what they clamored for. how ironic.
I also am/was waiting for a FF from Pentax. Getting the K-5 would effectively put me out of the market for a FF until the second version comes out. I see your reason for holding out on the K-5, Nubi also told me he's probably going to skip on the K-5 as he's more than happy with his K-7. For me the K-5 makes more sense than it does for you, the feature differences between my K100D Super and the K-5 is much greater than your K-7 and the K-5.

I feel that Pentax will release a FF body. It's a matter of time. When the price of FF sensors come down enough for them to sell a camera at a price they believe will move. I'm willing to invest more in a FF body then an APS-C camera as most of my glass is FF compatible. Oh well. K-5 here I come! :-)
09-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Since we have an official bashing thread (that I didn't start, for the record), we must also have an official Pentax K-5 praising thread...and this is it!

Post why you're excited about the K-5 here!

I, for starters, am very excited. In fact, B&H has already made arrangements with us to get a K-5 over to us as soon as possible so that we can do a professional review!

What's exciting for me:
  • Improved resolution- not a big practical improvement, but shows that Pentax is stepping forward alongside other brands
  • ISO capabilities: it seems that K-5 ISO 6400 shots are as good as K-7 ISO 800 shots. That's a 3-stop improvement. Forget the max ISO of 51200 - that's just there for bragging purposes! I'm just glad to see that the K-5 will be usable from 100-12800 without any reservations.
  • Improved AF- definitely a biggie here. Much less hunting, if any, especially for sports photography. With fast lenses, I expect the AP performance to be near perfect for our purposes.
  • Same body as the K-7- means I can hang on to my old grip. I also really liked the K-7's ergonomics, so I think it's great that Pentax isn't ditching them.
  • 7fps- nice for sports, and will make the shutter seem even more responsive than in the K-7.
  • 5 USER modes instead of just 1 - very handy! Since they got rid of the bracketing button, I typically use the USER setting for bracketing instead, and this will help with quick swapping of the settings.
Future support for SDXC cards also sounds great (we'll have to wait for a firmware update for that), and I've heard that there are plenty other exciting features to be announced through firmware as well!

Additional thoughts and praise is welcome! Let's have a very +positive+ thread here!
All of the above, except the resolution increase, which I find unnecessary. I'm also looking forward to the improved movie mode, and the dual-axis level.
09-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
All of the above, except the resolution increase, which I find unnecessary.
Unnecessary technically, but necessary for the marketing department!

09-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #83

I'm definitely admiring. Do I think it's the "end all be all"? Of course not. But nothing ever is. It sounds like more than enough of an upgrade from the k-7 to make me willing to plunk down the money for it if it lives up to its expectations, especially with regard to AF. The k-7 reviews left me feeling a lot was to be desired, and not ready to spend anything over what I had already paid for my k-x, over which I am still beyond thrilled. I can't believe the images that this camera is capable of producing. I will be really excited to find out the k-5 is going to be a step forward for me in every way, in exchange for the hefty price tag.
09-23-2010, 05:11 AM   #84
Pentaxian

What I find great (apart from the obvious : Pentax ergonomics, weather sealing, external controls, SR), is the improved AF and the movie mode. For some it might not be a biggy, but it will draw more people into the crowd.

Oh! and let's not froget contrast focus in live view.
09-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
My next new dSLR will likely be the K-5.
Same here, except it will be my first new DSLR. My two I have now were bought used.

I like the rugged looks a-la k-7. I like the advanced shooting features. I like the high-iso, High-res sensor. and I love the faster continuous shooting.

With improved AF or without, this is my next camera.
09-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #86

ok here is my list:
1. K-5 got K-7's body which I love, light weight but durable
2. improved autofocus in both viewfinder and LCD, especially that magnified focus point after focus locked
3. very very impressive high usable ISO(6400 so far)
4. 100% coverage in viewfinder
5. adjustable NR options for each ISO level
6. HDR alignment?!(is this still a rumor?)
09-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #87

Although I may have wanted to do a lens test a few times (specifically for the known problematic lenses DS16-50 or Sigma 10-20) reading some of these threads, I do get the impression that some people need to quit doing so much of the tech-analysis and spend some more time just trying to nail good subject matter and taking good photos. Nothing kills the interest in this art more than excessive technical navel-gazing.

I cant claim to be as old as the people brought up on takumars (im still mid-30s) but my first SLR 17 years ago didnt even have autofocus, and i relied on just the crappy kit-lens while learning the basics of the craft.

My K7 was the first DSLR ive bought since it all went digital, and frankly i was impressed, especially next to some friends Nikons and Canons. The K5 looks quite a bit of an upgrade again (not one i can justify right now though)

I cannot imagine having such features even 10 years ago, people need to get a grip and take some photos - As they say, a bad tradesman blames his tools.
09-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #88

Personally i am excited and find it hard to think of anything else. I am getting a little too obsessed, but the idea of a new camera tends to be all consuming.

I have an intuition that when the reviews are done, the K5 will be very, very popular. The 645D took a while, but recent reviews are showing Pentax have done their homework. A Luminous Landscape review said it was a game changer, now the editor (?) of Photozine gives the K5 high praise.

For me, the K5 is an upgrade from the K-m, and suits my photographic needs to a T. I get the sense I will have the K5 for some time, as its specs are near to perfect for me. The live-view focus confirmation looks awesome, the high ISO will allow me to take many more macros in windy situations as I dislike flash and prefer totally natural light. The camera looks like it just has that "right" feel about it, as the K-m does. At the moment the possible Australian price is around $1379 for the body. i think this is going to be good value, but I will need to hold one and try it out before taking the final plunge. I will be able to take macros in the rain, which I think makes for better shots in some cases. The landscape leveling feature also looks very good, even though I know this was introduced in the K7.
09-27-2010, 04:27 AM   #89

K-5 will be a winner. I can’t resist, I will be upgrade from mi K20D. I do like the shutter sound and high iso performance.
09-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #90
Veteran Member

I let the K-7 pass because it didn't have the high ISO I wanted. If I'm going to put down €500+ for a body I want it to be a body I'll be satisfied with till it breaks. The K-7 was perfect in every other way though, so I'm glad they kept most things the same with the K-5. Higher FPS, better movie mode and better AF are nice to have, but a K-7 with amazing high ISO is what makes the K-5 perfect for me. I can't wait to plunder my bank account and replace my K10D.