Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #46
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by therion Quote
Pentax has much better wheather seals, I have read an article about how Canon 7D became functionless after getting some water.

K-5 has much better sensor than Canon 7D in terms of noise.

7D is big heavy cow.
And I've read about a K20(DA*? One of them) that was rusted on the inside. So Pentax ain't perfect either.

We haven't even seen fully the capabiities of the K-5, so that's still up in the air.

7D is a perfect weight, to me. My K200 was too light.

09-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
7D will beat K-5 in every aspect.
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
We haven't even seen fully the capabiities of the K-5, so that's still up in the air.
Your second point has a point.
09-23-2010, 11:31 PM   #48

Photos: Albums
i wonder if there's a Pentax camera tested like the Canons in this old-ish article:

7D #1 Weather Sealing
09-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
i wonder if there's a Pentax camera tested like the Canons in this old-ish article:

7D #1 Weather Sealing
Sure....

Where I live it never snows, but there's the Monsoon rains....it can be like a wall of water from the sky....
I've been caught outdoors with the K-7 and DA*50-135 before, definitely wetter than the article in the link, no doubt about it, Pentax WR is superb....

But you have to make sure to clean and dry out the gear as soon as possible after a hard drench. I think that's where the reported corrosion problems arise....

09-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Sure....

Where I live it never snows, but there's the Monsoon rains....it can be like a wall of water from the sky....
I've been caught outdoors with the K-7 and DA*50-135 before, definitely wetter than the article in the link, no doubt about it, Pentax WR is superb....

But you have to make sure to clean and dry out the gear as soon as possible after a hard drench. I think that's where the reported corrosion problems arise....
yup...same as fishing gear. I used to do a lot of deep sea/party boat fishing and some my reels back then cost 2x that a new pentax body does. All the best grade stainless steel, sealed and such. And still the thing you have to do before even taking a shower is clean your gear in fresh water and dry it off. I even would remove the line and wash it before re-spooling it because that can hold an amazing amount of corrosive salts and grit.

Cameras are no different...if you use it in bad conditions ya gotta clean and dry them asap. it's usually not the water that starts the problems but the corrosives/minerals/grit in the water that starts the decay of the seals and anything else it is allowed to rest on. If I was able to get out the the beach these days I would keep a gallon or two of distilled water and clean towels in my pickup for a fast rinse after a beach excursion just to get the stuff off before it dries. BTW, leave the lense ON the camera when rinsing and after because you never know what is on the outside waiting to sneak into the guts...of course this assumes a sealed lense and body. TBH I never had a sealed body to do this and just used a damp towel/rag for years of surfing shooting (I live near the beach so as a kid it was easy to go with friends who surfed.) But with a sealed body the cleaning would seem important to stave off failure even though eventually the seals will fail from age. But if you don't keep things clean they will get dry rot faster.
09-24-2010, 12:32 AM   #51

I would probably give the nudge to the Pentax weather sealing. 7D is better than my 40D, but they still held back a little bit compared to the pro 1D models. That being said, my 40D has been rained on and splashed on and keeps on ticking. I'm a bit of a risk taker though

I think that people need to wait and see how the K-5 AF performs. It looks good on the youtube video and should be a marked improvement, but is it really better than the 7D? The 7D has 19 cross type points that are cross type from f/5.6 and lower f-stop. From what I can tell, the K-5 has 11 points and 9 of them are cross type in the way that the 7D's are. I would give the 7D the win here. 7D also has a A LOT of customization available for the AF points. The best option (in my opinion) is the ability to adjust the autofocus sensitivity. FWIW, most the 7D owners I've talked to usually end up using one shot in either single shot (AF-S) or Ai-Servo (AF-C). letting the camera make the decision for you rarely works in real world environments...

The bottom line is that the K-5 stacks up fairly well to the 7D and there isn't really a legitimate reason to switch to Canon unless you are looking to get into their overall system.
09-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
I would probably give the nudge to the Pentax weather sealing. 7D is better than my 40D, but they still held back a little bit compared to the pro 1D models. That being said, my 40D has been rained on and splashed on and keeps on ticking. I'm a bit of a risk taker though

I think that people need to wait and see how the K-5 AF performs. It looks good on the youtube video and should be a marked improvement, but is it really better than the 7D? The 7D has 19 cross type points that are cross type from f/5.6 and lower f-stop. From what I can tell, the K-5 has 11 points and 9 of them are cross type in the way that the 7D's are. I would give the 7D the win here. 7D also has a A LOT of customization available for the AF points. The best option (in my opinion) is the ability to adjust the autofocus sensitivity. FWIW, most the 7D owners I've talked to usually end up using one shot in either single shot (AF-S) or Ai-Servo (AF-C). letting the camera make the decision for you rarely works in real world environments...

The bottom line is that the K-5 stacks up fairly well to the 7D and there isn't really a legitimate reason to switch to Canon unless you are looking to get into their overall system.
One word....tethering....until I see it in the K-5 then it's going to force me to switch. I can live with my K20D for a while longer but not much because it has a lot of things I am not thrilled with but it does sort of have tethering in the Pentax software.

The good news is someone mentioned a Pentax rep at their booth indicated tethering was going to be in some version of the firmware. Still I am not going to wait a year for it because for once I am willing to buy a body relatively early after release, I think the K-5 if it pans out as advertised with no real issues for the suckers, errrrrr, early adopters...
09-24-2010, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote

Don't forget the really nice Spot AF feature where you can pick a much smaller focus point for things like e.g. the eye of an animal. Had no idea how much I would enjoy it until I had it.

I really would not focus (heh heh) so much on the # of AF points (though it does make a difference when tracking) as on the sheer speed and accuracy of the AF system. It seems like Pentax starting with the K-x have gotten pretty decent AF-S performance, but AF-C has always been lacking. If the K-5 can address this sufficiently it is a huge leap ahead and makes the camera very competitive in every way.

The 7D is ridiculously good though. Honestly, if Canon were to ask me what to improve on it the only thing I could suggest is allowing exposure compensation in auto ISO / Manual mode, and being able to set the target shutter speeds / apertures in Tv/Av.

09-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Don't forget the really nice Spot AF feature where you can pick a much smaller focus point for things like e.g. the eye of an animal. Had no idea how much I would enjoy it until I had it.

I really would not focus (heh heh) so much on the # of AF points (though it does make a difference when tracking) as on the sheer speed and accuracy of the AF system. It seems like Pentax starting with the K-x have gotten pretty decent AF-S performance, but AF-C has always been lacking. If the K-5 can address this sufficiently it is a huge leap ahead and makes the camera very competitive in every way.

The 7D is ridiculously good though. Honestly, if Canon were to ask me what to improve on it the only thing I could suggest is allowing exposure compensation in auto ISO / Manual mode, and being able to set the target shutter speeds / apertures in Tv/Av.
DUDE!! you sick sick punny bastage!! hahahaha...loved that one...I gave the correct involuntary groan which every good pun deserves. kudos!!

But you point to something I dearly miss from my 40D days and that is the visible AF points in the viewfinder. They are one of the best aids in nailing the focus where you want it then being able to reproduce it by going after the same specific point on the subject thanks to those points and the ability to place them right on the intended target this helping a lot when DOF is thin.

it is difficult to get people who never had them as an aid to focusing to know just how much they help even with static subjects. I have posted shots of the mirror of the 40D that shows the AF points which are marked on the mirror itself but even that does not get the point across....(sorry that one was my turn at a before coffee pun....hehehehe)

I am getting used to the Pentax way but sense I will never be 100% pleased with it and always suspicious I could have done better if I had the aid of always visible AF points.
09-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Of course, Canon doesn't have the full range of Primes that Pentax has, but you may not care for the Primes....
What primes is Canon missing?

How is that brand new Pentax autofocus 50mm f/1.2?
09-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Copyright Quote
Is the 7D the fastest AF on the market as far as APS-C cameras go?
Probably a toss up between the 7D and Nikon's D300.
09-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Probably a toss up between the 7D and Nikon's D300.
Have used a D300 and while it is hard to judge tracking, I would say that the 7D is faster in acquiring focus. The D300 is no slouch though...
09-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I think he is referring to primes like the Limited ones. Canon is not exactly big on APS-C primes. But that is probably intentional since they want to steer people towards FF cams in the long run.

Other than that, the lineup is decent.
14/2.8
15/2.8 fisheye
17/4 tilt-shift
20/2.8
24/1.4
24/2.8
24/3.5 tilt-shift
28/1.8
28/2.8
35/1.4
35/2
45/2.8 tilt-shift
50/1.2
50/1.4
50/1.8
50/2.5 macro
60/2.8 macro
65/2.8 1-5x macro
85/1.2
85/1.8
90/2.8 tilt-shift
100/2
100/2.8 macro
135/2
135/2.8
180/3.5 macro
200/2
200/2.8
300/2.8
300/4
400/2.8
400/4
400/5.6
500/4
600/4
800/5.6
09-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I like Canon's primes a lot on full frame bodies -- especially their selection of wide angles, the 24 f/1.4 is awesome! On crop bodies, though, they just don't seem to me to work as well since they are both comparatively big and not their original focal lengths. That doesn't make them bad, I just prefer my prime lenses and cameras to be smaller if possible.
09-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I like Canon's primes a lot on full frame bodies -- especially their selection of wide angles, the 24 f/1.4 is awesome! On crop bodies, though, they just don't seem to me to work as well since they are both comparatively big and not their original focal lengths. That doesn't make them bad, I just prefer my prime lenses and cameras to be smaller if possible.
I am not sure I get what you are saying. Focal length is focal length. A 35mm FF lens on a crop camera is the same as a 35mm APS-C lens on a crop camera.