Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 04:34 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone know how many shots the 7D can take at 8FPS RAW?
Also, does it shoot 14bit color?

I too like the size, but, I sort of like the feel of the grip and K-7 better.

And what about shutter noise?
We have to indoor gigs(university recitals and baptisms) where the K20D was just too loud to get in close, and so we were holding out for the K-5 to get around this. So I wondered how the 7D compared to this.

09-26-2010, 05:07 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Copyright Quote
Let me simplify the question...

If someone said you could have either a D7000, K-5, or D7 for free, which one would you pick?
I have preordered the D7000 and intend to keep a while the K7 w/FA 31ltd

Reasons:

Nikon size, build and ergonomy suits me better than the Canon
Nikon specs are very close to D300s in many respects, and the D300s is arguably the best semi-pro APS-C DSLR (except for video performance)
Nikon AF and IQ seem better than what I've tried from Canon (D300s vs 550 D, 50D)
Nikon primes are at least as good as Pentax primes and competitively priced
Very good post sales support
09-26-2010, 06:06 AM   #78
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Anyone know how many shots the 7D can take at 8FPS RAW?
Also, does it shoot 14bit color?
Yes.
09-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
On paper the 7D still demolishes the K-5....

FPS" 8fps is the same sure....but the 7D can do like 330 in a row at 18mp....K-5 can do 7 at 16mp. No comparison there at all.

Vidoe:7D has full manual video controls and multple frame rate selections. Once again, no comparison.

ISO: we will have to see. 7D has usable 3200. I could care less about 'extended range'. Canon could probably throw a million iso on there but it doesn't matter because no one will use it, just like noone will use 52k on the k-5.

Resolution: 18 vs 16 MP. Better cropping power. 7D wins there.

WR: Magnesium bod with weather sealing. Not sure how people can say the k-5's is better. People take the 7D to the friggin arctic circle and shoot with it while it is covered in snow. Not sure how u can say it doesn't have good weather sealing.

Canon every say how many seals it has, I wonder why not. The Pic below shows you it does not use seals at all seams as Pentax. In fact when I was trying one out the memory card door is not even 100% seals all the way around

SR: Okay you win here. But people saying that IS lenses are SO EXPENSIVE obviously haven't checked the prices of Canon lenses recently. They are very reasonably priced. I can get even better lenses for the Canon for cheaper than I could get the same lens for Pentax, even including IS.

Can you get SR with every single lens even in old primes? Canon will never have SR in primes. Can you imagine a 50mm f/1.4 with SR. Talk about low light shooting!

Size of cameras is a personal matter. I hate small cameras. I feel like I am going to drop them. Had to put a battery grip on the K200D the day I got it. I love the size of the 7D.

True I like bigger cameras as well, but the 7D and its ergonomics just does not feel molded into your hand as even a K20D with battery grip does.

Also the 7D has a 1.0x viewfinder with 100% coverage. Not sure the K-5 has that or not.

That's been my conclusion doing research in the past few weeks.
Did you use the cameras try them out. Take a good look at all the seals? See how they feel?

OK onto WR have a look here. See with Nikon and Canon certain features must always be saved for their best models or why have them? So full WR is reserved for the top PRO models. This is what made Pentax different starting with the K10D it has 110 seals (with battery grip), and only the very best have that level of weather sealing. The K-5 has 77 seals and 43 in the grip a total of 120 high quality cold temp seals. This is serious stuff

A quote from Canon USA -
"The Canon EOS 7D is a solidly built camera. It has received a level of weather sealing above the 50D. To be specific, "Canon considers the weather resistance of the EOS 7D to be slightly better than the EOS 5D Mark II and 50D cameras, but not as robust as the EOS-1D series." (Chuck Westfall, Canon USA)"

OK want to see the true weather sealing of your 7D. Notice in the pic below there are red outlines and green outlines. The red outlines are real seals, the green is just extra tight seams You have got to be kidding! No I am telling the truth. The green is just enhanced weather resistance no real weather sealing thats probably why Canon does not tell how many seals are in the body Notice just as I said the red outline does not go all the way around the memory card door. Notice the big dial in the back is not sealed. Pentax dSLRs are air-tight, nothing can get in them from mother nature. Sure others, even non WR camera have survived a lot. But with a Pentax your sure and don't even care about the weather. You don't even try to protect your dSLR or lens. You just carry them and take pics in any weather.

Have a look at how sealed the K-7 is -

K-7 : Digital SLR Cameras : PENTAX

On paper you might be looking at numbers but the K-5 has much cleaner low light ability, probably more accurate AF as the Canon is plagued with AF problems. The Pentax for sure has more seals and is a true field camera and has low cost WR lens for the masses and much more. If your an enthusiasts who does not plan on going FF you will get much higher performance and value with Pentax. The reason lens such as Pentax DA55-300mm perform so well is it was for APS only, does not need VR and can be made to perform higher than Canons top consumer 70-300mm VR... lens at a much lower cost. Now I do like the Canon 7D its a nice dSLR. If I shot sports I would buy a Canon (maybe FF (or Nikon)) great dSLRs. If I was studio or landscape shooter I would go Pentax 645D. Its starting to be a consumer wins market for sure

How sure am I of Pentax weather sealing, well after years of having them out in all weather for hours I did this for fun as I knew nothing would get in, and nothing did get in that I could find. Here is the video of my K20D.

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-26-2010 at 09:58 AM.
09-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #80
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Did you use the cameras try them out. Take a good look at all the seals? See how they feel?

How sure am I of Pentax weather sealing, well after years of having them out in all weather for hours I did this for fun as I knew nothing would get in, and nothing did get in that I could find. Here is the video of my K20D.
That doesn't look like a weather sealed lens or is it one of the WR Kit lenses?

09-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
And what about shutter noise?
We have to indoor gigs(university recitals and baptisms) where the K20D was just too loud to get in close, and so we were holding out for the K-5 to get around this. So I wondered how the 7D compared to this.
The K-7 is noticeable quieter than the 7D and it's rumored that the K-5 improves this further.
09-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I really think more than "So and so is better" it's more what you're going to be using it for.

For my own use:

Canon 7D would be better for: Documenting wildlife/birding, video projects, sports.

Pentax K-5 would be better for: Travel, documentary photography/photojournalism, street shooting, weddings.

Does that mean the Canon 7D can't do wedding photography well and the K-5 can't do sports? No, not at all. I'm just saying what I personally would use the two cameras for if I had the choice. That, to me, is more useful than spec sheet comparisons.
+ 1,000. Nothing more needs to be said. OP, what are you going to do with the camera? What kinds of pictures you gonna take?

09-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #83
Veteran Member

FPS" 8fps is the same sure....but the 7D can do like 330 in a row at 18mp....K-5 can do 7 at 16mp. No comparison there at all.

Vidoe:7D has full manual video controls and multple frame rate selections. Once again, no comparison.

ISO: we will have to see. 7D has usable 3200. I could care less about 'extended range'. Canon could probably throw a million iso on there but it doesn't matter because no one will use it, just like noone will use 52k on the k-5.

WR: Magnesium bod with weather sealing. Not sure how people can say the k-5's is better. People take the 7D to the friggin arctic circle and shoot with it while it is covered in snow. Not sure how u can say it doesn't have good weather sealing.

SR: Okay you win here. But people saying that IS lenses are SO EXPENSIVE obviously haven't checked the prices of Canon lenses recently. They are very reasonably priced. I can get even better lenses for the Canon for cheaper than I could get the same lens for Pentax, even including IS.

Size of cameras is a personal matter. I hate small cameras. I feel like I am going to drop them. Had to put a battery grip on the K200D the day I got it. I love the size of the 7D.

Also the 7D has a 1.0x viewfinder with 100% coverage. Not sure the K-5 has that or not.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
That doesn't look like a weather sealed lens or is it one of the WR Kit lenses?

DA18-55mm WR or yes WR kit lens.
09-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #84
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Have a look at how sealed the K-7 is -

K-7 : Digital SLR Cameras : PENTAX

On paper you might be looking at numbers but the K-5 has much cleaner low light ability, probably more accurate AF as the Canon is plagued with AF problems. The Pentax for sure has more seals and is a true field camera and has low cost WR lens for the masses and much more. If your an enthusiasts who does not plan on going FF you will get much higher performance and value with Pentax. The reason lens such as Pentax DA55-300mm perform so well is it was for APS only, does not need VR and can be made to perform higher than Canons top consumer 70-300mm VR... lens at a much lower cost. Now I do like the Canon 7D its a nice dSLR. If I shot sports I would buy a Canon (maybe FF (or Nikon)) great dSLRs. If I was studio or landscape shooter I would go Pentax 645D. Its starting to be a consumer wins market for sure
1. You don't know anything about its low light ability considering no one has reviewed one yet.

2. I don't know where you're getting it from that Canon is plagued with AF problems but, even Pentaxians here agree Pentax camera's have SERIOUS AF issues. Also again no one has a K-5 yet. You don't know anything about it's AF performance.

3. Ya value if you're a person who disregards all advantages provided by the 7D and I'm not saying you can't. Just don't impose this view on others and tell them what they're paying for is not necessary thus they should get a Pentax that is cheaper and doesn't have those functions. Oh and not to mention a K-5 body costs the same as a 7D lol.

4. Pentax has cheap 3 WR lens. The 18-55 is a kit lens. The 50 - 200 is a longer zoom kit lens. The 18-135 isn't out yet but will also be a kit lens. The first has absolutely nothing spectacular about it. The second one downright sucks. The third one we cannot tell yet.

5. I don't know where you're getting the idea from that the 55-300 is a good lens. This lens is perfectly average in every single way.
09-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm using Pentax and Canon system cameras in parallel, as each of them has it's own advantages. I was actually considering upgradig the Canon body to 7D before 2 things happened:
1) Pentax relased K-5
2) I found that 7D is not weather sealed afterall. The body is well built and durable, but Canon is quite cryptic about what it can be exposed to. No freeze, no rain, they do not officially prmise anything. Just check out the user manual.
09-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I'm using Pentax and Canon system cameras in parallel, as each of them has it's own advantages. I was actually considering upgradig the Canon body to 7D before 2 things happened:
1) Pentax relased K-5
2) I found that 7D is not weather sealed afterall. The body is well built and durable, but Canon is quite cryptic about what it can be exposed to. No freeze, no rain, they do not officially prmise anything. Just check out the user manual.
huh?

7D #1 Weather Sealing

FYI, Pentax does not promise anything either...the warranty specifically excludes water damage...on a sealed camera or lense marketed as sealed...they too use the work "resistant" rather than sealed...it's a damage control and risk management common to every company on the planet today.
09-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atomiccow Quote
1. You don't know anything about its low light ability considering no one has reviewed one yet.

2. I don't know where you're getting it from that Canon is plagued with AF problems but, even Pentaxians here agree Pentax camera's have SERIOUS AF issues. Also again no one has a K-5 yet. You don't know anything about it's AF performance.

3. Ya value if you're a person who disregards all advantages provided by the 7D and I'm not saying you can't. Just don't impose this view on others and tell them what they're paying for is not necessary thus they should get a Pentax that is cheaper and doesn't have those functions. Oh and not to mention a K-5 body costs the same as a 7D lol.

4. Pentax has cheap 3 WR lens. The 18-55 is a kit lens. The 50 - 200 is a longer zoom kit lens. The 18-135 isn't out yet but will also be a kit lens. The first has absolutely nothing spectacular about it. The second one downright sucks. The third one we cannot tell yet.

5. I don't know where you're getting the idea from that the 55-300 is a good lens. This lens is perfectly average in every single way.
The huge amounts of complaints of AF problems in the DPR Canon forum. Canon even has to fix many users dSLRs. I read the 7D forum and all newbies ask if there is a problem with the 7D AF, the answers go both ways some say yes, some say no. All other Canons I wished my K20D focused as well, but just being honest about the 7D and user feedback.

If you need full weather-proofing than its a flat out bargain. Its not a bad lens, not a great lens, but it gets the job done in bad weather. The point is how much does WR lens cost from Canon. It adds value to the K-7 and K-5 kits as they are 100% WR as soon as you open the kit box.

Not for the price. Because Pentax does not have to include VR or AF motors they can cut the cost, use better glass, or do both. The Canon lens in most reviews performs lower than the Pentax. Also because Pentax makes lens for APS only, well I will let Klaus from Photozone say it...

From Klaus of Photozone.

Some words from Klaus on Pentax lens and dSLRs compared those like Canon who make lens that fit both FF and APS, those type of lens are a compromise. Why use a smaller sensor if your going to use a lens for FF? There is more in the link below

Photozone - What? No Olympus E-5 bashing? -

Q: (To) Klaus, why do you consider the K-5 to be superior to the D7000? Other than a couple of extra fps and the in-body IS, it seems to be on-par with the Nikon or even trailing (AF points, metering), while costing $400 more.

A: It's smaller & more rugged. Body-side IS as you mentioned. And more important than anything else - Pentax has a complete dedicated APS-C lens lineup. Nikon has merely isolated solutions here specifically regarding primes."
"I think there's absolutely no doubt that Pentax has, by far, the best APS-C lineup out there. It's not even a close call. Full format lenses on APS-C DSLRs are always a compromise - at least in terms of size/weight."
"Well, I think this one is fairly obvious. Pentax is basically the only manufacturer offering APS-C pancakes. If you want to stay small with primes there's no way around Pentax. The Pentax 60-250 is also unique. There're more. This is basically the advantage of a dedicated APS-C lineup and not some sort of mix."
"The D7000 has "magnesium-alloy top and rear cover". The K-5/7 has also front and bottom plates made of metal. It is also likely that it has more seals.
The K-5/7 is a D300 class body, the D7000 is an upgraded D90 or downgraded D300, whatever you wish."
"Anyway, technically the K-5 seems to be the best new APS-C DSLR of the season. It seems superior to the 60D/D7000/A55/E5 to me at least."
Chief Editor
photozone.de
09-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #88
Veteran Member

"Oh my god" at the misinformation around the 7D and weather sealing.

Jesus, this is what gets up my nose the most on these forums - false statements perpetrated as truth, backed up with no evidence. Instant bans should be handed out to those that clearly don't know what they're talking about.

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
huh?

7D #1 Weather Sealing
Exactly the link I was going to post . The 7D endured extreme conditions in this test; snow, ice, rain, subzero temperatures and never skipped a beat or had any problems regardless if it "didn't have the same sealing as a 1D series". For the record, I'm sure the K-5 and a suitable DA* would be capable of the same.
09-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
huh?

7D #1 Weather Sealing

FYI, Pentax does not promise anything either...the warranty specifically excludes water damage...on a sealed camera or lense marketed as sealed...they too use the work "resistant" rather than sealed...it's a damage control and risk management common to every company on the planet today.
The extended warranty as I have does not exclude water damage Its a perk of buying the two year warranty (for a total of 3 in the USA). It also includes a free tune up anytime during that time. But back to the point. The basic warranty has exclusions, sure but its only to protect themselves, not that they think it will leak with normal use. The extended warranty covers everything but cosmetic wear and tear, nice The owners manual says splash proof, and gives the operating temps. This is all you need to know.
09-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #90
Banned

The 7D has usable 3200iso and you don't care for high iso and say no one cares about high iso. Did you get your cookies when you posted that ?