Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #121

FYI:
Compare the Canon EOS 7D vs Pentax K-5 - Snapsort

01-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
Birds don't interest me. I'm vegan so killing animals doesn't either. But I guess you could shoot them with a camera. But it seems like something which would take a long time. I would most likely rather shoot people (with and without camera ;D), wide angle on buildings and cities and shit and eventually wanted to have a nice macro, where Canons 65mm 1-5x is the most awesome thing there is I guess. For nature shots which are not birds
Birds are boring
It all depends on what you want to shoot right? And I agree, birds are beautiful, but they are boring. I shoot them occasionally, but mostly at the zoo

To me, it is a good to begin with an idea as to what kind of photography you're interested in. If you're shooting mostly people and buildings, long glass isn't really necessary, but a wide to normal telephoto would be important. This could be anywere from 12mm-135mm.

I think any of the cameras you mention would do superbly in terms of output. And all brands offer lenses to suit that range. Soooo, to me, it would then come down to glass and flash systems. And then from there, it would be zooms vs. primes and wireless flash systems.

I think Pentax zooms are the best bang for the buck when you compare them to equivalents from Canon or Nikon (i.e. anything that's f/2.8). Pentax's combo of DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, 50-135mm f/2.8, and 60-250mm f/4 are much more affordable then say, Nikon's 17-35 f/2.8, 24-75 f/2.8, and 70-200 f/2.8. I'm not familiar with Canon's offerings so I can't say anything there. For ultrawides, Canon and Nikon both have the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, which is cheaper than Pentax's 12-24mm f/4. Of course, there are other offerings from Sigma and Tamron made for all brands in the ultra-wide, but I can't think of any with constant apertures.

Now where I think Canon and Nikon have the upper hand, is in readily available cheap primes and a better flash system support. In Nikon land, the 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.4D, and 85mm 1.8D to name some. I'm not familiar with Canon's offerings, but these Nikkor lenses are affordable (relatively speaking), readily available, and even cheaper used. And they are a good range for "people pictures".

With flash, as I venture more into the world of off-camera flash, I see lacking support for Pentax in terms of wireless radio triggers. Although there are Pocketwizards, radiopoppers, and others available, none can transmit TTL info for Pentax. Of course you can be a manual strobist, but why not take advantage of technology? Anyhow, Pocketwizard and radiopoppers support TTL transmission for Nikon and Canon, but not for Pentax.

So, there are some points to consider, but you can certainly make great photos with any modern camera. Or old ones too
01-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
Which two of them? Pentax vs 7D or 7D vs D7000? In the first case glass seems to be the most obvious difference?

Since "a system" cost so freaking much I think it's an issue to pick the right one.
I was talking 'in general', no particular type nor brand. I have the feeling that only 'small' differences are compared and criticized, all camera's, whit in the same class, are very equal and differ only for, lets say, hardly 5%. Where a model is less in one situation, it is better in an other, so they are all more or less 'in balance'.
As you said, the glass could be the 'decisive moment'(*)...
And yes, the investment is an other, yet very important, 'decisive moment'!

(*) To me it is, but this is very personal...
01-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #124

I saw this video yesterday with that Japanese guy doing camera tests, can probably find him quick:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalRevCom

He's got an attitude which may not be that attractive, though he also use some common sense and takes snaps of girls, so it's your decision if you like him or not

Anyway he has compared quite a few cameras, lenses and so on, and then there was this question regarding a low end camera with high end lens vs the opposite.

So he got the 550D with 70-200/2.8 canon lens vs 1DmkIV with Sigma 70-300 or something such

Obviously no-one is surprised the Canon lens photos got a lot more contrast, colors, sharpness.

But what was more interesting is that the 550D obviously had like 3.7 fps and 9 point AF where only the middle on is cross-type, but he said something like he wasn't a sport photographer anyway but rather took pictures of people. So he went around testing it and took a photo of a jogger and it turned out ok, so he was happy with that.

And yeah, that was taking it to the extreme, I'm quite confident the 11 point 9 cross-type AF of the K-5, the 39/9 of D7000 and the 19/19 of the 7D all perform better than the 550D (or well, maybe it's still good even though it's low in specs.)

But no, I wouldn't shoot sports anyhow so. But I would still prefer if the camera isn't slower than necessary. Like for instance say I want to take a portrait picture of my cat and use a macro lens and she move her head then I assume fast AF and multiple shots may make a difference so she get in focus and is still in some of the pictures.

Btw, I saw these hacks of the Nokia N8 video capture:

Quite fast contrast detect focus and hacked to 30 fps instead of 24 (if that's the standard, what do I know.)

Compared to another mobile phone:

Hacks:
[N8] H2O Mods pack! Choose the mod you want without flashing! :) | faenil's pit
N8_Goodies : HX CUSTOM ROMS

Kinda decent real time focus, though I assume it's much easier to make it work there thanks to much wider DOF and maybe because there's less glass as well?

Whatever. Nice phone anyhow

I feel too cheap to get into photography =P, need to find some videos comparing how flash system works as well.

01-08-2011, 02:33 AM   #125

Wtf? The K-r got the same AF system as the K-5?! (And AS.)

FPS, sensor and eventually weather sealing which are the differences?

Makes me wonder if the K-r eventually outperform 550D and D3100 in AF and metering to + AS.

My moms guy wants a camera to even though I doubt he would had been able to make good use of it. Anyhow he's cheap with it. I've read that the 50-200 isn't the best but maybe the dual kit is good enough for him and at least it's cheap and he would get AS on the tele lens to (don't know if kit 55-200 Nikons and such are VRs, maybe they are but also cost more?)

Looked at a few flash photos with Nikon vs Canon gear and at first the Nikon images looked better but when they had changed settings to get the same results I thought they more or less got just that, same results. So it doesn't make much sense for me.

Could anyone explain what's the difference in Flash usage between the systems / where you think Pentax lacks? Is it only in wireless mode or something such then I don't care that much because I wouldn't be too convinced I would use a flash at another place or two flashes anyway ..
01-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kdre Quote
owhhh ... im laughing hard see this comparison..

you are really mean to canon guy...

come on dude ,they pay much for their body and lenses...and they proud of it so let give them some of joy and peacefull..

what about about pentaxian ? lets them say that we keep our low budget and tight

even though those review said the other way around ..

Last edited by ewig; 01-14-2011 at 03:47 AM.
01-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #127

QuoteOriginally posted by kdre Quote
Interesting. Quoting the review:
"Snapsort recommends the Pentax K-5. This recommendation, however, should be taken with a grain of salt since it doesn't always make sense to compare a pro DSLR with a entry-level DSLR."

Soooo??? the K5 is entry level??? I'm confused! lol

01-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
Interesting. Quoting the review:
"Snapsort recommends the Pentax K-5. This recommendation, however, should be taken with a grain of salt since it doesn't always make sense to compare a pro DSLR with a entry-level DSLR."

Soooo??? the K5 is entry level??? I'm confused! lol
the funniest is at the bottom where the place the s95 as a k5 competitor. lmfao
and the leica m8.2 really why not the m9 and the optio 90 as well
useless site
01-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #129
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is another comparison at all ISOs with the K-5, 7D, and D7000 that I don't think has been posted before (not that there is anything earth-shattering here):

Pentax K-5 vs. Nikon D7000 vs. Canon EOS 7D: ISO Comparison | neutralday