Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
You can shoot at a rate of 7 frames per second for one second.
How much time does a spray and pray person need to get the shot?

Seriously though, I think a 3sec burst would have covered just about everything people need it for (I almost never use it, but probably miss shots I should get)...

09-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
HSeriously though, I think a 3sec burst would have covered just about everything people need it for (I almost never use it, but probably miss shots I should get)...
I'd say that 3 seconds is most likely the sweet spot.

Thinking back of an event such as baptisms, I found that continuous shooting would play out in given moment throughout the event. Which usually runs down in a: pre-frame, moment and conclusion type of pattern. Which the K20's, do okay at with a fast card(C10) giving about 20 frames per sequence and just enough time for writes before the next sequence.
09-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bobe416 Quote
If you are using a 30mb/second card will it speed up the process?
I have Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/s edition and K-7 is able to write to it at 16-17MB/s to it.
09-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I have Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/s edition and K-7 is able to write to it at 16-17MB/s to it.

I'm curious about how you determined this number. I would like to do a similar test myself.

Thanks.

09-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So the German spec says that there can be 40JPG/15RAW @7fps, and unlimited JPG/17RAW at 3.3FPS. The specs for Lo mode really confuse me- shoudn't there be room for more than just 2 more RAW frames?

I honestly think that Pentax is making typos left and right here. We'll have to wait until we actually use the camera to confirm or deny anything.
And that's where the problem is: we get specs froGermany, Japan, even Korea ... some others which I can't recall, and not one of them is agreeing on them specs!

Adam: when you do test the K5, please let us know/show us how this buffer issue really acts upin real-life situations.
We will then, and only then, be able to make informed decisions and comments.

JP
09-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #36
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I still think that K-5 has smaller buffer than K-7.

K-7 fills buffer at 110MB/s
14.6×12/8×5≈110MB/s

So, in three seconds (15 RAW images) K-7 mumps in into buffer ≈330MB
K-7 writes data to SD card at ≈15MB/s, so in three seconds it would free up 45MB.
So, K-7 buffer should be 285MB.

K-5 fills buffer at 200MB/s
16.3×14/8×7≈200MB/s

It's almost double compared to K-7.
K-5 will make 8 frames in 1.14 seconds, during which it will pump into buffer 228MB of data. It will write to SD card ≈17MB. That makes K-5 buffer only 211MB...

Of course these are only approximate calculations, however they give overall picture about buffer size of K-5.
I wonder what Digital Camera Review did to get 15 farmes?
Pentax K-5 First Look Review: More and Better Video
09-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
I wonder what Digital Camera Review did to get 15 farmes?
Pentax K-5 First Look Review: More and Better Video
Could it have been JPG?

09-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #38
Col
Veteran Member

No they measured both:
"Together, the new sensor and autofocus system mean fast, solid performance. Tossing it around the room, the camera kept up - shooting everything it saw. High-speed continuous shooting performance is both better and worse than the K-7. It hits 7 FPS over the K-7's 5.2, but the K-5 only goes up to 22 frames - as opposed to the prior's 40.

RAW performance hit the same maximum of 15 frames in continuous shooting mode - the Pentax reps didn't say what the maximum was in RAW mode, though I kept the shutter button depressed for a few seconds after the 15-frame buffer was full, and it never stopped shooting."

I assume they'd mention if fps dropped. Lets just hope it's another area where the engineers latest reality has exceeded the copywriters info.
09-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Perhaps let me try to understand the real performance concern here is

- How many continuous RAW shots can you take at 7 fps before the rate slows down ?

Two things
- First, that's not really the same issue as the RAW buffer size spec, though obviously related.
- Second, of course, is this fog that seems to obscure what is the real RAW buffer size on the K-5.
I really wish Pentax Japan, Pentax USA, whoever, comes out quickly and do some damage control on this issue before it starts impacting the potential success of this camera.
09-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
No they measured both:
"Together, the new sensor and autofocus system mean fast, solid performance. Tossing it around the room, the camera kept up - shooting everything it saw. High-speed continuous shooting performance is both better and worse than the K-7. It hits 7 FPS over the K-7's 5.2, but the K-5 only goes up to 22 frames - as opposed to the prior's 40.

RAW performance hit the same maximum of 15 frames in continuous shooting mode - the Pentax reps didn't say what the maximum was in RAW mode, though I kept the shutter button depressed for a few seconds after the 15-frame buffer was full, and it never stopped shooting."

I assume they'd mention if fps dropped. Lets just hope it's another area where the engineers latest reality has exceeded the copywriters info.
Yes, I read that mini-review.

If it's 22 frames jpg - that's more than enough for me.
If it's 15 frames RAW - then that's also more than enough for me.

So if DCR are correct ...... I'm a happy bunny again.
09-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #41
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote

So if DCR are correct ...... I'm a happy bunny again.
Yes I agree it sounds like they've reviewed the K5 I want. It really feels like they K5 has been rushed to the show doesn't it, to the extent that there's even more than one version of the hardware there!
09-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
For your information, I started a thread on that very subject, albeit not on the buffer "limit", and was asking if someone could explain what this really meant.
I had a few answers but the thread just died.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/115228-case-k5-buf...e-explain.html

Now, I too am concerned about this 8 RAW buffer limit AND the "alternative" going to 2 fps.

Will anyone ever have the REAL data on this K5?
It is becoming a real pain in the b*&% trying to figure it out. I mean, it is hard enough to find at least two different reporting sites on the K5 specs being similar.

Is there ANY way to once and for all getting the REAL, EXACT, and CONFIRMED specs here?
Or maybe we will have to wait until some tests come out; hopefully, with Adam reporting that they have now the K5 and K-r in hand for testing, some buffer tests will be performed.

JP
Anyone has any good answer to that question? Highlighted in blue, above within the quote.

JP
09-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Anyone has any good answer to that question? Highlighted in blue, above within the quote.

JP
Buffer 14 raw and 40 jpeg: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Second hand, which, well, kind of makes it worthless :-P
09-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'd say that 3 seconds is most likely the sweet spot.

Thinking back of an event such as baptisms, I found that continuous shooting would play out in given moment throughout the event. Which usually runs down in a: pre-frame, moment and conclusion type of pattern. Which the K20's, do okay at with a fast card(C10) giving about 20 frames per sequence and just enough time for writes before the next sequence.
3 seconds would be nice. In sports in action, sure you won't burst for more than a second at most times around a specific moment, it's just that there is often a moment soon afterward that you want to burst!

That's why I often have to shootin JPEG with the K-x
09-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #45
ogl
Banned

The real buffer of K-5 at Photokina - 7 RAW.
The low mode is 1.6 fps as at PENTAX with 10 RAW.