Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I'll probably get one, but not until sometime next year. My k-7's doing the trick right now and it'll be a while before I've got the cash tucked aside for it.

Then again....if I hold off for a couple of years a 645D might also be tempting....

hmmmm....

09-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am in the same boat, just got my k-7 a couple of months ago. I will be looking to add the k-5 sometime next year if not sooner.
09-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.... it's only taken me 54 years of living to finally curb my knee jerk reaction to something shiny and new, and just wait..... i'll be patient and wait til the price drops and enough pros and amateurs alike tear this bad boy apart, from stem to stern.... to see if all the excitement is really worth it.... and then to have pentax invariably release a firmware update to resolve some niggling issue... and for them to offer an extended warranty on the cheap......
btw... i WISH i could pre-order and bite the proverbial $$ bullet... but my wife threatened physical violence..... not that it would necessarily be a bad thing...lol.....
i do hope this new release is worth the wait/hype..... hate being disappointed......patience is a virtue.... (i'd like to slap the dolt who came up with that one).....
dave m... who lives vicariously through the lives of other pentaxians.....
09-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Waiting patiently for reviews for the K5 to appear.

I will upgrade to either the K5 (first pick if it looks good) or 7d.

My K7 seems to overheat within minutes using movie mode to the point where it's basically an exercise in frustration to use it. I want a dslr one carry option to use video and not have to carry the HF S10 around as well.

K7 AF C is not what I want and the 7D looks very tempting in that regard, waiting on the K5 to see how it looks.

ISO would be an upgrade on either and I have wanted to use 3200-6400 or better recently (Tahitian fire dance was one)

Hopefully the K5 nails AF performance and the movie mode is improved. I may live with movie mode because it would be easier to replace a body vs the who system.

SR is another plus for Pentax as well.

Hoping it looks good with final reviews/user reports.

Lee

09-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
i did not and probably won't.

not that the k5 isn't exciting, but i'm disappointed at the way pentax has released this camera. specs that are mixed up, features that are not there but may be there depending on what, demand? (tethering and manual video controls).

i still have my kx and k200 and a bunch of lenses. not sure yet which direction i'll take.

my feeling is that pentax doesn't seem to have any sense of direction for their future. will they pull an Olympus 2 years from now?

no roadmap, no TC's no higher end lenses. Not even a dang definition of what the DC motor is really. FF on the horizon?

who's at the helm? autopilot?

i don't know about the rest of you, but i'm disappointed at the direction or the lack of that pentax is taking.
This sounds a bit like me. I have a K200D and five Pentax lenses... and I think my kit will stay right there until I can figure out what Pentax is doing. As I've said before, I don't expect a ton of new product all at once... but we need a roadmap at the very least. Pentax must communicate clearly and directly with its supporters.

If I have to complete my kit with a bunch of Sigmas then what's the point of sticking with Pentax? I can work on my micro four-thirds kit in the meantime and have just as much fun.

Don't get me wrong - I want to support Pentax and it's not like I'm planning on ditching my equipment tomorrow. But I'm not rich (and neither are most of you) and until I feel Pentax has a handle on its direction and fate I hesitate to spend more money.

As an aside, it is my belief that this frustration is shared by many other Pentaxians and has contributed in no small manner to some of the heated discussions on these forums recently.
09-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I love my K-x, and I really really love my pentax lenses. The K-5 seems to address every single negative I've come across using the K-x (lack of controls, shutter noise, lack of weather sealing etc etc) yet won't be a downgrade in high ISO performance like the K-7 would have been, hopefully it might even be a upgrade . So at some stage in the next 6 months I can definitely see myself buying one.
10-05-2010, 04:07 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just made the call, reserved a K-5 for me as soon as it comes to the store. Lucky me.

10-05-2010, 04:17 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I'm leaning towards definitely buying a K-5, but I'll wait until the fog clears on some of the questionable specs, and some real-world results on performance and IQ.
+1 Couldn't have said it more succinctly myself.

NaCl(I need to see some results first)H2O
10-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #39
Inactive Account

Im about to order through amazon
10-05-2010, 05:18 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I have been waiting to upgrade from the K10 for a long time. I am waiting however, as well until I have a solid price. If $1399 for Body only I will be on it. My Big 4-0 birthday/anniversary and xmas present all in one :-)
10-05-2010, 05:58 AM   #41
Inactive Account

[lang=fi]Olisin ollut vain utelias kuulemaan, koska näitä K-5 tulee saataville, kun ei ketään puhu tälläisestä. Itse olen tilannut K-5 ajat sitten, että alkaa kiinnostamaan kyseinen asia./Users/penttivainionpaa/Desktop/Kamera asioita/pentax_k-5_k5_signature_tag.gif
10-06-2010, 04:00 AM   #42

I am also waiting for some reviews to come out. It is all well and good to have high ISO settings, but they have to be useable .Useless to have high noise photos just for the claim of super high speeds. One feature that Pentax has that none of the others have is the high cold tolerance. For astro stuff, -10 oC is great, as is high ISO (really need a MINIMUM of 3200 ISO). Shame my nice Nikon glass will not fit on a Pentax.
10-06-2010, 05:02 AM   #43
wll
Veteran Member

I pulled the plug big time as I ordered the battery grips. (notice I said "GRIPS")

Waiting for the price to come down at least $200 per body. The only thing I have not decided on is should I buy the kit with the 18-125mm WR lens ?

wll
10-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Ordered mine from our local distributor, as many other Pentaxians did
10-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #45

just wondering when is the actual release date for the k5.