Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 03:07 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
with my K7 i had the same 'problems', with a 4gb SDHC card no problems what so ever and with a new 8GB SDHC i do have problems, but then its from a different brand

09-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The issue for me is not that the cards are irregular or the spring is too strong/not strong enough. The problem is that there isn't enough space between the card (when partially inserted) and the door. I don't have especially thick fingers but it's very difficult the wedge my index finger between the card and the open door (to grasp the card between my index finger and thumb) without forcing the door back beyond the open position. It makes it awkward to pull the card out _every_time_. (Inserting it is no problem, since that's a one-finger operation.) A little more space (like with the K10D, probably since the inside of its door is hollow) would solve the problem.
09-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I've never had any problem with my K-7's card slot.
09-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1 word:

Dremel

09-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
The card isn't too thick.
It is held back by something.

Compare the card slot with a K10 or K20.

Well, we cannot do anything anyway.
Have to live with it another generation.
THAT DOES IT! I'M SWITCHING TO NIKON!

09-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Doesn't affect IQ so ..... meh!
09-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Storm in a teacup. Yes the slot is a little tighter than previous cameras but never was a problem on my K-7.
It will be less tight with constant use, so if it's tight, it probably means you're not shooting and changing SD cards enough... :ugh:

09-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
The card isn't too thick.
It is held back by something.

Compare the card slot with a K10 or K20.

Well, we cannot do anything anyway.
Have to live with it another generation.
Is it really such a big problem for you? I've never had any problems getting the SD card out of either my K200d or my K-7.
09-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nobody said it was such a BIG problem ... just annoying, to some: frustrating.
If you compare that to the smooth release action from the K20D SD card for instance, the K7 CAN be a little frustrating, that's all.

Does it affect the camera IQ ?
Do you lose sleep over it?

Nahhh ...

As I mentioned earlier, it is just to see what others think.

JP
09-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Nobody said it was such a BIG problem ... just annoying, to some: frustrating.
If you compare that to the smooth release action from the K20D SD card for instance, the K7 CAN be a little frustrating, that's all.

Does it affect the camera IQ ?
Do you lose sleep over it?

Nahhh ...

As I mentioned earlier, it is just to see what others think.

JP
It's annoying to those of use with big fingers and cannot fit between the card and the card door. I've learned, to snap the card up just so, that I can grab it by the side edges. A deal breaker? No. A case of it wasn't broke and they fixed it? Yes. I have the same problem with the card reader on my laptop by the way. Same arrangement, minus the door, but the way it's built makes it difficult to get at the card. The design time and energy Could have been better spent IMO (like implementing tethering in the K7). Still waiting to see what the K5 brings to the table. Gotta love that mode dial design change

09-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It's annoying to those of use with big fingers and cannot fit between the card and the card door. I've learned, to snap the card up just so, that I can grab it by the side edges. A deal breaker? No. A case of it wasn't broke and they fixed it? Yes. I have the same problem with the card reader on my laptop by the way. Same arrangement, minus the door, but the way it's built makes it difficult to get at the card. The design time and energy Could have been better spent IMO (like implementing tethering in the K7). Still waiting to see what the K5 brings to the table. Gotta love that mode dial design change

What can I say? ...

You'd think that with all of the high tech out there, someone could at least design (or retain) something so simple to work properly.

Still waiting on K5 reports from "real users" too!
Sounds like a great camera this far "on paper".

Cheers.

JP
10-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

If the card is still stiff in your K7, it just means that you're spending too much time on here complaining, and not enough time using your K7.

Mine was stiff at first (nothing to make a thread about), but has loosened up quite a bit after 14,000+ pictures.
10-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
If the card is still stiff in your K7, it just means that you're spending too much time on here complaining, and not enough time using your K7.

Mine was stiff at first (nothing to make a thread about), but has loosened up quite a bit after 14,000+ pictures.
Yeah right!

Me not using the K7 enough ... already at 6290 and counting ?

JP
10-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I've always wanted to design a little SD card case that incorporates a 'grabber' somehow. These cards just seem so tiny when my fingers are chilled or arthritic, considering how much goes on them. There's plenty of room in there, but I'm always afraid of dropping the things.

Has anyone who finds the K-7 doors too tight for their fingers considered using like a little clamp or some kind of tweezers? I don't often have to change cards in the field, but it seems like a reasonable enough idea.
10-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Has anyone who finds the K-7 doors too tight for their fingers considered using like a little clamp or some kind of tweezers? I don't often have to change cards in the field, but it seems like a reasonable enough idea.
Something like this ???

Operating forceps surgical forceps