Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How important is it to have tethering on the K5?
I have to have it or I'm not spending that much money on the camera!!! 1522.06%
The K5 is so good looking on paper that if it's not on there, I can over look it. 2130.88%
If it's included, I might try it. 1927.94%
I'll never use it!! What's tethering anyway. 1319.12%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tethering on K5, your thoughts...

There's a lot of talking going on about tethering. So let's see what everything thinks about it.

10-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Inactive Account

i think if the hardware supports tethering, it would be ridiculous for Pentax not to include it.
most other DSLR's have it.

i have a colleague that's interested in purchasing a DSLR, but once i mentioned it doesn't support tethering, Pentax was immediately out!

Hey, pentax, remember the competition. most folks will buy based on "paper" specs, unfortunately
10-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

For a camera that ships with WR + WR lens and is supposed to be used outdoors? I don't see it as a studio camera, and believe Pentax feels the same. If so, there's a point on not including this feature.

You can always use HDMI port or EyeFi cards too.
10-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Everyone one knows that once you add WR to a camera it'll burst into flames if you try and use it indoors or mount it on a tripod. The K-5 gets warm if you hold it with more than one hand and don't have one foot in a mountain stream. Therefore tethering is completely useless.

10-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I tried it once the first week I had my K20 for fun, thought this is cool and haven't used it since.
10-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
For a camera that ships with WR + WR lens and is supposed to be used outdoors?
Why can't you tether outdoors, Notebook, Tablet, Phone?

Night time, Long exposures, anything with a Tripod, etc... Why do you think it's only for studio cameras?

QuoteQuote:
I don't see it as a studio camera, and believe Pentax feels the same. If so, there's a point on not including this feature.

You can always use HDMI port or EyeFi cards too.
If these are possible solutions or workarounds to a problem, don't you think it is actually a problem then?

I already have a K-7 that can't tether, I don't want the K-5 if it doesn't...
10-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm sure it'd be nice to have for a lot of people. For me it's not something I'd ever use and thus not a priority.

10-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #8

nice to have simply to make the camera more of a sucess and nice little addition for reviews etc but not something i'm likely to use other than to give it a test run
10-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 hooked up to a telescope and tough-book would be cool.
10-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
Why can't you tether outdoors, Notebook, Tablet, Phone?

Night time, Long exposures, anything with a Tripod, etc... Why do you think it's only for studio cameras?
When I say "outdoor", I'm not saying shooting on the backyard. Normally, one doesn't pack a notebook when hiking. Camera gear alone is load enough to carry around, sometimes even a tripod is overkill.

And you don't need tethering for long exposure either.

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
If these are possible solutions or workarounds to a problem, don't you think it is actually a problem then?
Only if tethering will stop you from taking pictures, which may be true in a studio setting, and false everywhere else.

Like I said, I don't see the K-5 as a studio camera anyway. There are plenty of other better options for studio, without the price premium of WR too, and if you absolutely needs it, there's always HDMI + EyeFi which is a simple solution, compatible with everything.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 10-01-2010 at 04:37 PM.
10-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Tethering is a valuable tool for pros and can be useful for serious shooters who are not pro. As the Pentax flagship, the K-5 should be tetherable.

Much pro location shooting included condsiderable setup - lights, diffusers and reflectors, support crew. Given all that, tethering would be worthwhile make sure the images are what is desired.
10-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

To nobody in particular and everybody in general, something to remember just because you might arrogantly believe your needs are met so that is enough or the K-5 is "not" a "studio" camera, why? Is it not better to offer a body that appeals to as many needs as possible so as many people as possible. The lack of tethering is going to lose the brand customers not gain them. Which will help their market share to continue it's death spiral as the net impact of the body will be nil or a loss. And oh, yeah, for those who claim that tethering is a studio only feature...guess what, you know the 645D, THE studio camera from Hoya, well it doesn't have any manner of tethering not even the kludge pseudo-tethering of the K20D. If Hoya feels this is a good situation, then HoyaTax is ill and will keep parring out features "they decide" are not needed and you will all end up with nothing but expensive point and shoot bodies.

The problem with the K20D is it is not even to the level of tethering in the Canon 40D which at least supports liveview tethering to use for composition. Tethering is a must have feature period, even for those who don't use it...I do not need WR sealing because I am no longer physically able to be out and about shooting. I do however need tethering pretty much on a daily basis. So how would it sound for people who don't "need" WR sealing to begin clamoring to not keep the feature because it only makes the body more expensive.

I wish part of the poll or OP discussed what tethering is because most here don't seem to even know the first thing about it.
10-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Okay seriously, what's tethering?
10-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tethering is where you can hook your camera up to a computer/laptop and control the camera through the computer and see the photos on the laptop as you shoot. For the type of shooting I do (mostly chasing my kids around) it is completely useless. For some folks (Brecklundin?), it is a feature they can't live without. I hope for their sake that it is added in and that it works better than the K20's tethering/ remote shooting software.
10-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

brecklundin, to my understanding the 645D is mostly aimed for outdoor shooters, though it will work just as well indoors. That said, having been a part owner of a photo studio in the past, I personally feel that tethered shooting is good to have but not really essential. There are Eye-fi cards that can transfer wirelessly as part of a solution but it won't address the image preview bit. That said, it is a feature that very few actually use, but not a deal breaker imo.