Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I make my entire living from freelance writing/photography, which means I make about as much as somone flipping burgers, so price is a big factor to me as well. I'm no fan of any particular maker, but I switched becasue Pentax is by far the best value for the buck, and I prefer the look of their images.
I was very interested in the Kx as a backup for my K20D, mainly because I could get one at half the price of another K20D or K7, but I decided against it because I didn't like the look of the images and figured I would be dissatisfied. So now I'm back to watching prices of the 20 and 7, plus considering the K10D.
However, if the K5 prices drop to something reasonable, and it still maintains that Pentax look to the images, I may get reckless.

10-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am so happy you guys brought up this topic. I thought the look of some K-x shots was due to many of the shooters being new and/or shooting in JPG which might have changed somewhat for some reason.

One of the draws for me back to Pentax was also the very distinctive and likely mythical but in a real way, Pentax-Look of the photo's. I found it closer to FF, like the 5D because remember all but one of the Canon 1D series are actually 1.3x crop sensors and not true 1.0x sensors. Pentax-Look also felt more "filmy" to me and my eyes.

I see something different in the K-x shots...but again that could just be me or maybe the whatever AA filtering and NR done in camera to help control the wonderful image noise. Perhaps I was not "seeing things after all"....or to quote Judge Harry Stone's dad "...but, I'm feeling much better now..." hehehe....

Ron: I don't make a living (or income) directly from my photography, then again maybe I should as it would be a fantastic weight control program, but I do so indirectly via product shots of the antiques and jewelry I sell. I have done some shooting for dealer friends but sort of as a favor not for cash because, well, there are pitfalls which I do not fully understand in the photo biz...

still I WANT my look to be distinctive which Pentax has delivered so far. Then again maybe given the annecdotal evidence a friend who shoots all high end Canon pro gear found out on their, Facebook or some social networking site discovered, his well exposed, interesting and beautiful images received the LOWEST number of likes on he and his wife's page. her crappy OOF poorly exposed cell phone shots were orders of magnitude better "liked" by their friends and family. I have wondered if there is a basic flat sort of look people prefer in their photos. I wonder if because so many prefer matte finish prints over glossy it's a conditioned preference developed (queue "rim shot") over years and years for, oh dear gawds, "exposure" to those matte finish shots....???

I can also say that when selling places like eBay or even Ruby Lane, well shot photos matter not at all to buyers. I am almost to the point of returning to my Sony DSC-S70 for all product shots with it's whopping 3.1MP!! hehehehe...
10-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Hey Breck,That's what I thought as well, so I started a thread somewhere asking Kx owners to post shots taken with Limited lenses. Some knowledgable and experienced photographers obliged. Better, but still not great.All my shooting is outdoors, so rich colors and high contrast is a plus. I don't want my shots to look exactly like the scene--I want them to look better. That's what Pentax does for me. However, if I were shooting product shots, Canon, Nikon or the Kx would be my choice. Same thing with pixel peepers at microstock, although the Kx might not have enough MPs for that.But for the outdoors, scenic shots and artful prints (maybe portraits), Pentax is the way to go. Occasionally I display prints for sale. All the ohhhs and ahhhs (and sales) are over images that are slightly underexposed, which also increases color richness.While the other makers try to illuminate the shadows, I try to enhance them. But that's just me, and my Kodachrome hangover.
10-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey Ron.

I missed that thread but am off to hunt it up...no prob finding should be interesting reading.

Funny you mention using other brand bodies for product shots, actually having used Canon, it really did not make any difference for my simple needs. I could see it being different for people doing serious product shooting though because of the clique-ish pre-conceptions about Canikon, but that is a whole different and quite subjective & philosophical thread all on it's own.

I try and keep the details in the shadows and darks while giving people the look all my reading on the topic seems to indicate, over saturated and overly contrasty shots. But something rolling around in my head of late is if people have their displays already set to feed that preference, it might be better to offer shots pushed very slightly to the right rather than with deeper, richer looking processing even if the colors are more accurate and realistic on my end.

I am going to experiment on it with some things I must get listed tonight or tomorrow just to test the results. Then again being a seller I am always wondering what I could do better or if I am doing anything that has suddenly fallen out of favor with buyers...in other words the typical neurotic seller mindset. Some weeks I wonder if a job as a greeter at Walmart is a better option!

10-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Can't remember if I started the Kx/Limited thread here or on dpreview. I believe it was on dpreview about a week ago. Really good responses, and one guy went so far as to set up some test shots for comparions.
10-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
New WR remote .. have seen it advertised on a few sites here in the UK.
About the same price as the old one.
It is available in the States an is actually about $2 cheaper than the old one.
10-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Today I went to TOP Camera in Nagoya and collected the paper version of the K-5 as well as K-r information posted in this thread.
- There were two "empty" bodies of the K-r and no K-5 yet