Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #46
Pentaxian

The results are what matters, I was a photographer a while ago for the clipsal 500 racing even here in Adelaide I was using a Pentax 67 with the 800mm f/6.7 monster lens, it was nearly three times the mass of any other camera set up at the event and more than twice the weight - however the results I got from Velvia 50 were fantastic and several event promoters actually bought the prints after they saw the original transparencies.

i'm a fourth generation photographer in my family, and my family has been using pentax ever since they came out with the spotmatic.

10-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Who cares what pros use.....

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
What do you all think? Should Hoya/Pentax be courting the Pro side of the business? I'm saying this because it seems that the consumer is buying Nikon and Canon, because of the idea that they are buying the cameras that the pros use.
The more I shoot myself, the more I shoot shooters, the more doubts I have about this.... (And about "getting a hands on experience" in a store).
For the past year and a half I have made it a personal project to (try to) shoot eery wedding pro of a wedding at my work.
(see weddingshooters at work )

My conclusions are:
People who buy a dslr for the first time don't really care a out what pros use, they don't know it, they often don't even know what a "pro"is,
Theit choiceis mainly base on what they found on the internet and either buy from the internet or go to a store, severely biased by their own conclusions baed on their web research. Unless they are in doubt between two choices, te salesperson has little or no influence on the ultimate choice.

If they have NOT done a reseach they will go for any suggestion made by the salesperson. Even if they are allowed to hande a few models and like one better than the other, they go for "other" if the salesman says so. Salespersons sometimes do have knowledge but when I bought my Ds after careful research, I noticed that most don't and either tell you to talk to "the other guy in the store who knows best but who is on vacation for the next three weeks" or just sell you a rubbish story.

If people advance in skills and models, 1 in 10 stay to what he/she got as a first dslr.
10-04-2010, 12:23 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Speaking of bricks, my Nikon,canon cameras and lenses are massive compared to their pentax equivalents(and my FF Leica M9 and it's lenses are even smaller than that, though not by much I might add) in the end the best camera is the one you are most comfortable lugging around all day and more often than not I reach for the pentax.
True.... It wont be lóng before I have convinced a professional photojournalist friend of mine that a K-5 with the 18-135 is the ideal "glove compartment" camera to have on hand when not lugging the pro kit around. (a true PJ always want a camera at hand..).
ActuallY I already had her convinced about a cheapo K20D or K-7 with DA*16-50 but when K-5 and especially the 18-125 were announced I have told her to put that decision on hold...
10-04-2010, 04:09 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Indecent Exposure Quote
the black tape over the branding on the camera body.
So, about that tape, why?

10-04-2010, 04:30 AM   #50
Forum Member

Out of all the photography related websites that I visit regularly, I only see Pentax advertise on one - theonlinephotographer.com blog. Not to mention all the magazines I used to read when I was new to DSLRs a few years back.

On the TOP blog, they've currently got a K5 ad on the left panel. It says 'Be obsessed' . What Pentax needs to do is start advertising how small and compact a K7 + DA Limiteds are. Show me a picture of a K5+DA21 and plunk it side by side with a D300s+24G. I'm sold.

See all the market share that M43rds and other ILC's got? A good chunk of that could've been Pentax.

Up until 6 months ago, I was a Nikonian, and I didn't care much about Pentax. I knew nothing about the excellent compact prime selection Pentax had. In 5 years of shooting, not once did I know that Pentax had all these superb DA and FA primes. I only learned about it because I saw someone asking about how to mount "those tiny Pentax lenses" on a Panasonic G1.

And true, discussions like this aren't really because we Pentaxians care about being on the 'winning' side and all that - we simply don't want Pentax to go out of business.
10-04-2010, 04:36 AM   #51

Would someone please explain why every time there is a new Pentax camera on the block, we have to struggle though Japanese websites, Google's laughable translations and waste precious time speculating over the few images there are without any real details? Surely they want to sell lots of cameras outside Japan? Or perhaps they don't? At least the few images are not as bad as those first published when the K-m came out. Where is the coordination, the English and other language versions of their website? Pentax produce excellent manuals, so why not websites? They had an excellent website summarising the design philosophy of the K-m in 2008. Why is the English effort so half-hearted for what looks like an exciting new product? Ich verstehe nicht. I don't get it. Who can I write to to ask?
10-04-2010, 04:50 AM   #52
Forum Member

Oh, and one other thing that occasionally annoys me - if only Pentax did their marketing right, I would've been a Pentaxian years ago. Which means, I would've bought all those Limiteds when they were cheaper, hehe.
10-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #53

Photos: Albums
how would you like them to add their advertising bill to your camera costs?

10-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sbroadbentphoto Quote
how would you like them to add their advertising bill to your camera costs?
Marketing costs only get added to product costs if the marketing sucks. Good marketing pays for itself and more.
10-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamieP Quote
Marketing costs only get added to product costs if the marketing sucks. Good marketing pays for itself and more.
Marketing has to be paid with something....
10-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
If Pentax is going to stay in business, they had better grow. Growth always happens, to stay static isn't an option. It's either grow larger or grow smaller there is no in between. Smart marketing is not a luxury for Hoya/Pentax, it's a necessity. If they are serious about remaining in the camera business, they must grow. They also need to get serious about their service organization, especially if they want to be recognized as a maker and marketer of fine photo equipment.
10-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #57
Site Supporter

"you need money to make money" - wisdom

pentax marketing in the US needs to shape up, big time.
10-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Marketing pays for itself by increased sales. (Good marketing, that is!)
10-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Marketing pays for itself by increased sales. (Good marketing, that is!)
But still marketing = cost.....
Every cent and penny spent in any company, be it marketing, be it paperclips, toiletpaper has to be paid. That penny and cent wil be taken from the money earned by products. Therefore any penny spent will rais the price of any product ever so slightly. Also marketing. Nothing is free. It may generate more profit in the end but that does not mean that marketing cost is not calculated in the price.
10-05-2010, 04:16 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

But still marketing = cost.....
Yeah, ok, but how much does it cost to feature (or at least freakin' mention) a major award (eg, Photokina Gold Star) on your own corporate website?

My university came in first in one of the US News rankings: by the next day they had featured it on the home page, blasted out emails and press releases and the t-shirts & bumper stickers were available by the end of the week.

You can do a lot without big ad buys.