Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 11:03 PM   #151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Bought my K-X kit from Newegg.ca but camera is from the USA and took the extended warranty . But everything is perfect up to now. Newegg was a lot cheaper last April than anybody else for the K-X . Now no advantage anymore
$1599 at Newegg. Are you kidding me?

Even though the K-5 appears to be an exceptional camera, most people in the market to buy a camera don't know and don't care about Pentax! At a local London Drugs, they have posters and other marketing collateral for the new Canon and Nikon cameras but just a plain ordinary sticker for the new Pentax K-5.

Questions to Pentax:
1. Why are you failing to promote the K-5? Are you people (and your sales reps) completely inept?

2. What is the K-5 competing with? The Pentax K-5 is much higher than the Canon 60D, a similar price to the Canon EOS 7D, and much lower than the Nikon D700.

But overall, the Pentax K-5 in all its brilliance is INVISIBLE to all except those types in this forum!

That makes me very, very angry!

11-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Here a graph of the USD Price of the K-7 body from photoprice.ca
Awesome, thanks for this! I was not aware of this site until now.

Here is the link to follow the Pentax K-5:
Pentax K-5 - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca

I am surprised to see that the K20D is still selling so high (around $800 CDN).
11-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Anyone see K-5 in stock in Canada yet?
Yes, I handled the camera at a local London Drugs in Vancouver. I was surprised that in many ways it felt as good as my K20D. I actually didn't noticed the size or weight difference; I had thought the smaller size would be an issue for me. I had never bothered to look at the K-7 because, to me, it was simply the K20D in a new package with a few unimportant add-ons.

To be honest, the only physic difference that struck me was the display screen. It is so much bigger and sharper!

In use, one of the first differences I immediately noticed was the QUIET shutter! You can barely tell the shutter triggered! I hate to say this but I did not notice a striking difference in focus speed over the K20D *BUT* I was not in ideal conditions and I did not 'play' with the camera enough to form a worthwhile opinion.

It is hard to explain but the camera felt a bit 'stiffer' than my K20D. I think it might be a familiarity thing? It just seemed that the buttons and dials were tighter but not in a good/productive way. I need to spend a little more time with this camera so please don't pay too much attention to this last comment.
11-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote

That's better than page 2, where the featured product is the K20D!
Pentax Canada - Digital Cameras
Well they have changed the front page to show the K-5....

The K20D is still a featured product. Cool!

Oh Pentax, please leave the K20D as the featured product while I sell my K20D.

11-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #155
Pentaxian

Not that make sense. Foto Source dealers are the one with some of the lowest price in Canada
THanks
11-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #156

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
$1599 at Newegg. Are you kidding me?

Even though the K-5 appears to be an exceptional camera, most people in the market to buy a camera don't know and don't care about Pentax! At a local London Drugs, they have posters and other marketing collateral for the new Canon and Nikon cameras but just a plain ordinary sticker for the new Pentax K-5.

Questions to Pentax:
1. Why are you failing to promote the K-5? Are you people (and your sales reps) completely inept?

2. What is the K-5 competing with? The Pentax K-5 is much higher than the Canon 60D, a similar price to the Canon EOS 7D, and much lower than the Nikon D700.

But overall, the Pentax K-5 in all its brilliance is INVISIBLE to all except those types in this forum!

That makes me very, very angry!
Well, there are a few folks who believe in higher price tags always being the superior ones. Mat be Pentax is counting on these guys!
11-16-2010, 12:46 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Well, there are a few folks who believe in higher price tags always being the superior ones. Mat be Pentax is counting on these guys!
Flawed logic.

Raise your hands if you think that the higher the price for the K5, the more likely you will buy the camera.

Granted, if it sold for lower than the Kx then that might make us wonder what they took out.

Price is everything and it is especially true when most new camera buyers or those looking to upgrade their current camera don't even know what Pentax is! The harsh reality is that every one thinks Canon, Nikon, or even Sony before considering Pentax. To make matters worse, it is hard to find a vendor that prefers Pentax to the top two brands.

My point is that Pentax needs to do much, much more to sell people on the merits of the brand. Pentax is where it is because it has done a terrible job for a very long time.

Where are the ads?
Never mind that expensive venue.... where are the in-store sales collateral????

OMG! This is nuts! I was speaking to a local London Drugs rep who told me that they get ZERO support from Pentax Canada.

I could do a much better job, doing sales rep'ing one day a week!
11-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #158
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leos Cameras on Granville Street in Vancouver, BC is now selling the Pentax K5 (Body Only) for $1479.99. I purchased mine a week ago at London Drugs, but was able to go back and they refunded the difference. (30 day price match guarantee.)

11-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #159
nah

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pureluck Quote
Leos Cameras on Granville Street in Vancouver, BC is now selling the Pentax K5 (Body Only) for $1479.99. I purchased mine a week ago at London Drugs, but was able to go back and they refunded the difference. (30 day price match guarantee.)
You should go back and get more money back as Dunne and Rundle has the camera for $1429.
11-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #160
Site Supporter

Prodigital2000 is an authorized Canadian dealer. My K20D that I bought from them needed repairs this spring (the second year of the warranty) and the work was performed without problem. However, all the items I see on Prodigital's eBay page now show a 1 year international warranty. They have another eBay store, 123easyship, which shows their Canadian 2 year warranty. Perhaps Prodigital items sold within Canada would still carry the 2 year warranty, but I'd ask first. Interestingly, the K-5 showed up on Prodigital's page a couple of weeks before 123easyship had them. Not sure why they are doing "Canadian" business under another name, perhaps it's a "New Coke" thing.

I checked in at my local Henry's today. No K-5 in stock, but they did have one at their distributor that they could order in for me. The clerk was eager to do that so that he could get it in the store, but the price is still a little high for me. I asked about price matching and he said that they wouldn't match an internet price, but they would for a B&M price, providing that it was an item in stock. I told him about the Dunne & Rundle price and he said that $1429 was a "razor-thin margin" that he didn't think they could match, but that the $1499 of Simon's was doable.

I don't shoot much in the winter anyway and I'm confident that the price will be more manageable come springtime, so waiting isn't too bad, but I suppose that if after Christmas a $1200 miracle price were to occur I'd probably give in to temptation.
11-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #161
Pentaxian

Simon give a price of $1399 to one Quebec Member , I have $1420 from Foto Sopurce Camera City, Henry is not competitive
11-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #162
Site Supporter

Simon give a price of $1399 to one Quebec Member , I have $1420 from Foto Sopurce Camera City, Henry is not competitive
No, they really aren't, and that's a shame. It's about the only place in town where I could get to see one and I'd like to support the local economy and all, but not when it's costing me more to do so. When the HST came in that also erased the advantage of saving the PST when buying out of province. If saving the 8% PST were an option, that $1399 price would be very attractive.
11-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #163
Pentaxian

In London , you have Carmans who sell Pentax, He his part of Photo Source and that the group I got the $1420 price . In the west the price they got was also from a Fotosource dealer
11-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #164
Site Supporter

I guess there still is one Carman's left in town, forgot about that store. But Prodigital is a FotoSource member too, yet their price is $1488, albeit with free shipping. Dunne & Rundle is $1453 with shipping. I suppose I could get Carman's to match the $1429 and save the shipping. Hopefully there will be incentive after Christmas.
11-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #165
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote

Questions to Pentax:

I tend to agree with you on that.

Here, in my very small town in Québec, when I show up with my K20D or my K7, I am often asked whether it is a Nikon or Canon!!??
The usual answer after I tell them it is Pentax is :"OH!"

Now it is true that Pentax has a very weak marketing "plan", at least here in Canada.
Pentax is not a known brand ... period!

But maybe they are trying: if you go to the official Pentax Canada (Pentax Canada) website ... it now features the 645D and the K5 on the Home Page!

As for promoting their products, I have yet to find someone selling Pentax in our little country town and its surroundings who actually knows how to HANDLE the camera!
Last time I went for testing the K5 (and the K7 in 2009), I had to demonstrate to the sales person how to fiddle with the settings.

JP