Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #316
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
We will save money, the HST sent a lot more money back to ottawa instead of keeping it in BC for our provicial gov't to squander.. ... yay Liberals... ... ...
The BC Government is complaining that it will cost $200M/yr to return to the GST/PST, so I'm guessing the HST sent less money back to Ottawa.

Anyway, this is encroaching on political discussion

11-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #317
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Why wouldn't you just order from the London Drugs website at $999?
yes I would but I when I bougth my K-5 it was Cheaper at B&H as well as everything normally
11-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #318
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beales1986 Quote
yes I would but I when I bougth my K-5 it was Cheaper at B&H as well as everything normally
That's not been my experience. I live in Ontario. I purchased three Pentax cameras and most of my lenses in Canada, and I always comparison shop. Do you ever use the Photoprice.ca site? They show the actual price; item + tax + shipping + duties (if applicable), customized to the province you're located in. Very handy for levelling the playing field. Photoprice always includes B&H and Adorama pricing, but excludes Prodigital2000, so I look there for myself.

I admit though, that I will often wait for the Canadian price to beat B&H, because Pentax gear purchased in Canada has a two-year warranty vs one year in the US. And of course shipping is cheaper in Canada if you should need to return the item or send it in for service.
11-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #319
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That's not been my experience. I live in Ontario. I purchased three Pentax cameras and most of my lenses in Canada, and I always comparison shop. Do you ever use the Photoprice.ca site? They show the actual price; item + tax + shipping + duties (if applicable), customized to the province you're located in. Very handy for levelling the playing field. Photoprice always includes B&H and Adorama pricing, but excludes Prodigital2000, so I look there for myself.

I admit though, that I will often wait for the Canadian price to beat B&H, because Pentax gear purchased in Canada has a two-year warranty vs one year in the US. And of course shipping is cheaper in Canada if you should need to return the item or send it in for service.

Interesting. I never thought about that or even really noticed it before. thank you for the heads up

11-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #320
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for a camera that has been out for more than a year, it has a very strong sustaining power and popularity. the price itself is indicative of that, not just in Canada. not even the K20D an K-7 are able to do that. I remember both previous cameras hitting $750/$800 to $900 in a year or less. I would still consider a K-5 used, 2 years from now for $450.
11-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #321

Pulled the trigger on K5 yesterday Snagged it off craigslist for $850 w/ 2 years remaining warranty with Henry's. I was really tempted to get it for $999 but this and recent fund cleared up from unfortunately have to be returned lens purchase sealed the deal

Boy this thing is light years ahead of K-x...really a joy to use
11-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #322
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Azzy Quote

oh please....kx is overrated. and people were saying they wished that the kx sensor should had been on the K-7 or K-7 successor. hah.
11-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #323

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
oh please....kx is overrated. and people were saying they wished that the kx sensor should had been on the K-7 or K-7 successor. hah.
Its good for what it is, small compact DSLR with good IQ. The sensor is great but I can't say the same for the ergonomics / build quality

11-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #324
Inactive Account

Pulled the trigger on K5 yesterday Snagged it off craigslist for $850 w/ 2 years remaining warranty with Henry's. I was really tempted to get it for $999 but this and recent fund cleared up from unfortunately have to be returned lens purchase sealed the deal

Good deal on a used K5... That's the best way to get camera equipment, slightly used with good warranty left. Enjoy!
11-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #325
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zhewie Quote
That's the best way to get camera equipment, slightly used with good warranty left. Enjoy!
BUT quite often it isn't transferrable... I wouldn't assume that the warranty is transferrable, lest anything go wrong and you find out it wasn't.
11-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #326

Its Henry's extended warranty, so it is. They also have decent replacement program, 2 issues w/ the camera and 3rd issue you get they replace the camera no question asked
11-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #327
JHD
Veteran Member

Its Henry's extended warranty, so it is. They also have decent replacement program, 2 issues w/ the camera and 3rd issue you get they replace the camera no question asked
That's a great warranty. How much did it cost?
11-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #328
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those who are in Ontario or other provinces (hit with HST), try getting the k-5 from McBain, the total including shipping and tax is less than what I have seen so far since the k-5 introduction last year. I just pulled the trigger on this one and I am also getting one more year of warranty by using my visa card. I can't wait to see the difference between the two k-5 and k-7 (sensor, AF speed and metering accuracy).

By the way, the total amount includes only shipping and GST....

Last edited by aleonx3; 11-22-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: additional info included
11-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #329

It says $269 for 3 years extra warranty on the receipt pre-tax, so its $303 after tax, pretty expensive...

*edit*
actually I just found out that it is 3 years extra warranty on top of the actual warranty so 5 yrs total, 4 yrs remaining O_O
11-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #330
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It says $269 for 3 years extra warranty on the receipt pre-tax, so its $303 after tax, pretty expensive...

*edit*
actually I just found out that it is 3 years extra warranty on top of the actual warranty so 5 yrs total, 4 yrs remaining O_O
That's really a good deal, how many actuations is currently in the camera? If it is in low 5k count, that would be really nice indeed.