Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't they have an upgrade offer as well?
I can't remember if it was Henry's or not, but seems to me, they will buy your own body for some percentage of it's initial value(not sure).

I also think Henry's has an excellent warranty plan(their own).
Which covers you for something like 5 years.
I've sent in lenses through them using it.
Took a long time, but it did work.
Got them cleaned and calibrated.

10-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The drawback in finding a low priced item at most "online" stores, at least here in Canada, is the after sale service.

I would be tempted to buy the K5 for $1499 vs. $1399.00 if I am going to get good service, especially when it comes to delaing directly with the store, rather than having to send the camera away and witing weeks before it comes back.
If you are lucky and know the people well where you made your purchase, often times you can persuade them that you NEED your camera and need a "loaner".
I did that two years ago and all went well.

JP
10-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

B.t.w.... it's looks like Simon's will be dropping Pentax as well... When I was returning my K7 last year, the manager told me that they had too many QC issues and there's not enough demand to justify the headache...

On a personal not, however, I also prefer to buy bodies locally, because it's easier to deal with service "in case if".... Lenses, on the other hand, are not worth buying brand new...
10-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I also forgot to mention:

I think Henry's offer a 45 day price protection clause too.

So, if someone buys a K-5 and the price drops within a select period(ie. 45 days), then they refund the difference.
I find that quite tempting, though I'm still not keen on paying the early bird premium, which just doesn't seem wise to me considering the holiday specials are coming-up :/

Last edited by JohnBee; 10-05-2010 at 08:49 AM.
10-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #20
Vil
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The drawback in finding a low priced item at most "online" stores, at least here in Canada, is the after sale service.

I would be tempted to buy the K5 for $1499 vs. $1399.00 if I am going to get good service, especially when it comes to delaing directly with the store, rather than having to send the camera away and witing weeks before it comes back.
If you are lucky and know the people well where you made your purchase, often times you can persuade them that you NEED your camera and need a "loaner".
I did that two years ago and all went well.

JP
The one time I had to take my K10 in for service, I found that going through the retailer (Henry's in my case) just delayed the entire process. First you drop-off the camera at the store, then they ship it out to their main centre (Toronto) and then it gets shipped to Pentax Canada for the actual repair. Pentax repairs it and the shipping process is reversed. It would have been much faster if I had shipped it directly to Pentax myself. I did contact Pentax Canada to have my camera shipped back directly instead of through Henry's as I was leaving for trip soon after. The person I spoke to at Pentax Canada was very helpful.

So, I didn't find the retailer helpful at all in my case. As long as the camera has a Pentax Canada, then that's all you really need for warranty repair.
10-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vil Quote
The one time I had to take my K10 in for service, I found that going through the retailer (Henry's in my case) just delayed the entire process. First you drop-off the camera at the store, then they ship it out to their main centre (Toronto) and then it gets shipped to Pentax Canada for the actual repair.
It was the same for me(with a lens).

However, recently... I came across a 16-45 issue that I had to contact Henry's for and they told me that I could ship it direct to Pentax Canada using a warranty form & code in the package. I don't know if that was due to being within the manufacturer warranty period or not(can't remember). But it might mean they changed their policy with regards to shipping.

I was also looking over my cards and found that Henry's offers a 3 + 1 year extended warranty with features like anti-lemon protection etc(new and used). Which I think is pretty good even if there process is slower.

But it is possible that they have improved there warranty shipping process. So it might be worth checking out.
10-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I also forgot to mention:

I think Henry's offer a 45 day price protection clause too.

So, if someone buys a K-5 and the price drops within a select period(ie. 45 days), then they refund the difference.
I find that quite tempting, though I'm still not keen on paying the early bird premium, which just doesn't seem wise to me considering the holiday specials are coming-up :/
The price protection is for 21 days, but you're right, they have it! They have a great return policy (2 weeks for refund and 3 weeks for store credit), but it's true their prices are usually quite a bit higher than some of the smaller retailers.

The do price matching as well, so I usually check the price at Aden Camera first. Then I usually go to Aden Camera and purchase the product. Hey, having the lowest price to start with should be rewarded too

QuoteOriginally posted by frank:
Yeah, I know. What I'm trying to say is that you might also be able to have the new K5 at the same price as K7 when it was launched last year
I hope this isn't true--launch price for the K-7 body-only was $1599 up here!

10-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
The price protection is for 21 days, but you're right, they have it! They have a great return policy (2 weeks for refund and 3 weeks for store credit), but it's true their prices are usually quite a bit higher than some of the smaller retailers.
I saw that 21 day clause and then I was like... "hey I read 45 days" and so I went digging into my paperwork to find out why. The thing is, if you buy the Henry's extended product warranty, you get a 45 day price protection(yay!)

Which I always get with a body anyways... which is great to use around the holidays because prices usually drop at or around that period.

With this in mind, I think I might just pick one up a little earlier than planned
10-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vil Quote
The one time I had to take my K10 in for service, I found that going through the retailer (Henry's in my case) just delayed the entire process. First you drop-off the camera at the store, then they ship it out to their main centre (Toronto) and then it gets shipped to Pentax Canada for the actual repair. Pentax repairs it and the shipping process is reversed. It would have been much faster if I had shipped it directly to Pentax myself. I did contact Pentax Canada to have my camera shipped back directly instead of through Henry's as I was leaving for trip soon after. The person I spoke to at Pentax Canada was very helpful.

So, I didn't find the retailer helpful at all in my case. As long as the camera has a Pentax Canada, then that's all you really need for warranty repair.
I get your point and that it disn't work too well for you, sorry.
In my case, it was rather speedy but I am not sure whether I would take another chance if this ever happens again, from what I read in your post.

Cheers.

JP
10-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any of you guys had warranty issues which were taken care of properly by any online store?
I am now hesitant to return to a Big Box store, in case of any malfunction needing repair at Pentax, only to be told that my camera has now crossed the Pacific ocean and should be on its way back by tugboat, and by foot thereafter to here.

JP
10-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Luckily I live very close to Pentax Canada and I've walked in on several occasions. I've been very happy with their warranty service and their non-warranty service (my fault for dropping the camera). It was speedy and fixed right.

My only comment would be that their communication leaves something to be desired. E-mail inquiries are either ignored/lost/never responded to..... and telephone inquiries - you better know who you want to speak with or good luck.

Also if you walk in, you have to use the phone to call someone, and if you don't know who, you may have to explain your issue to a few people before the right one comes out front.

A bit cold on the service, but in the end it's the product that matters and I've been happy with that.
10-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Henry's works for me because their are several stores within a hours drive of me...and they will price match anyone in Canada. I often buy from Henry's but get things at Aden's prices.

I spent $250 less on my D700 a couple of weeks ago doing this.

c[_]
10-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Any of you guys had warranty issues which were taken care of properly by any online store?
I am now hesitant to return to a Big Box store,
I had to deal with a few repairs and I think it's faster shipping the defective product to Pentax Canada directly than to go through the store where you purchased it. The downside is that you have to pay the postage to send it (but the return is free) and to pack the thing correctly. I've sent my DA* 16-50mm 2 times that way and my K20D and it was always relatively fast (2-3 weeks max.). The K-7 I returned through the store, I waited almost 5 weeks.
10-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Luckily I live very close to Pentax Canada and I've walked in on several occasions. I've been very happy with their warranty service and their non-warranty service (my fault for dropping the camera). It was speedy and fixed right.

My only comment would be that their communication leaves something to be desired. E-mail inquiries are either ignored/lost/never responded to..... and telephone inquiries - you better know who you want to speak with or good luck.

Also if you walk in, you have to use the phone to call someone, and if you don't know who, you may have to explain your issue to a few people before the right one comes out front.

A bit cold on the service, but in the end it's the product that matters and I've been happy with that.
+1 for me, that is exactly what I find with Pentax repair in Toronto. I guess I consider myself lucky so I don't have to mail it in for repair service. Also, they offer to sent back to you once the repaired work is completed which is great. The repair work is also pretty good.

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I had to deal with a few repairs and I think it's faster shipping the defective product to Pentax Canada directly than to go through the store where you purchased it. The downside is that you have to pay the postage to send it (but the return is free) and to pack the thing correctly. I've sent my DA* 16-50mm 2 times that way and my K20D and it was always relatively fast (2-3 weeks max.). The K-7 I returned through the store, I waited almost 5 weeks.
I don't think I would need to go through the retailer to send in the camera/lens for repair service since dealing directly with Pentax Canada repair center is more efficient. Unless you want to save the postage of sending the camera/lens in; for me that is not the problem, just call and tell them I will be dropping the camera in for service before driving down there.
10-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I saw that 21 day clause and then I was like... "hey I read 45 days" and so I went digging into my paperwork to find out why. The thing is, if you buy the Henry's extended product warranty, you get a 45 day price protection(yay!)

Which I always get with a body anyways... which is great to use around the holidays because prices usually drop at or around that period.

With this in mind, I think I might just pick one up a little earlier than planned
Aha, never knew that. So a $200 warranty could actually pay off in more ways than one

The warranty's transferable, which is nice too since I haven't kept a camera for longer than the 2 year warranty period in a while!

Still, unless there's a trade-in promo at Henry's, I'll probably see what Aden does for price--I like the people there.